Options

Selected for work study in SANS NetSec (Las Vegas) but...

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I applied last week amd selected SEC503, 511, and FOR408. To my surprise when I got the email it had me assigned for two courses: DEV544: Secure Coding in .NET: Developing Defensible Applications and SEC580: Metasploit Kung Fu for Enterprise Pen Testing. I don't mind the Metasploit one but that coding one sucks big time.

Anyone doing work study had any luck changing their courses for the bigger events?

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I hadn't even tried honestly. I got selected for SEC503 in Virginia Beach next month and that was like 5th on my list, meaning I didn't care to really do it, but I decided to go ahead with it since work is paying for it and they see value in it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Wow, these SANS folks are the bomb. After replying saying I really wanted 408 I heard back from them yesterday. Since I also submitted an application for the event in Crystal City, VA they suggested declining the Vegas invite and they signed me up for FOR408 in VA. Boss already approved it so it's time to start planning a mini-DC touristy weekend right before the event.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lol, I laughed at networknewb's goal for 2015.
    that would be sweet to do that!!!!
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!! Sans training is really good, just so expensive.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    Lol, I laughed at networknewb's goal for 2015.
    that would be sweet to do that!!!!

Gotta aim high!
  • Options
    djctwodjctwo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Wow, these SANS folks are the bomb. After replying saying I really wanted 408 I heard back from them yesterday. Since I also submitted an application for the event in Crystal City, VA they suggested declining the Vegas invite and they signed me up for FOR408 in VA. Boss already approved it so it's time to start planning a mini-DC touristy weekend right before the event.

Could you help me with the reply you wrote. I'm in the same boat. Got accepted for Work Study in Vegas, but not for SEC503 like I wanted. I'm paying out of pocket so if I cant switch I most likely won't attend the training.
  • Options
    I just asked what my options were but it was simple because I had another event lined up as an option. If you ar elimited to Vegas and the class is not available they could wait-list you in case the selected facilitator can't make it, but that's a long shot.
  • Options
    I chose Vegas for the free accommodations I would have. Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    rudegeekrudegeek Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @DJCTWO I'll be in Las Vegas. I'm doing GSEC. What did you end up getting?
  • Options
    rudegeek wrote: »
    @DJCTWO I'll be in Las Vegas. I'm doing GSEC. What did you end up getting?

I asked if I could switch to GCIA since that's what I wanted and I'm coming out of pocket. No luck, so I canceled.
  • Options
    RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's so awesome! I'm glad that it worked out and that you got selected for a course that really interests you. :)
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP