Upgrading to Windows 10 now!

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
First thing I did when i woke up this morning... get myself windows 10. :)

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows 10? Here are privacy issues you should consider

Interesting all the info Microsoft has access to.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How's that any different from the Google, Apple facebook, twitter, yahoo and any other social media or company for that matter?
    As the guy mentioned in the first paragraph you can disable the sign in with your windows account. Never used it on 7 nor 8, not about to use it with 10 either.
    That's why you back up your information in your own personal private cloud rather than using a free service.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sign into Windows with your Microsoft account and the operating system immediately syncs settings and data to the company’s servers. That includes your browser history, favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.

You can deactivate that by hopping into settings, but I’d argue that it should be opt-in rather than on by default. Many users won’t get round to turning it off, even though they would probably want to.

The problem from my perspective was that this was "opt in" with Windows 8 now like it's patching is on by default. At least I can turn the stuff off because of the programs like browsers that I use instead of the Microsoft versions I don't want them syncing with IE. The passwords for other stuff is opt in for Google Chrome it asks you first.

Thanks for the information though so I know where to disable some of this stuff.
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I left for work none of my computers had it yet, hoping they finish downloading by the time I get home.
  • Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I'm in no hurry for 10, 7 Pro 64 bit is fine for me and has no problems that 10 can solve.

Besides, 10 will have initial problems, so you might as well wait for those to get fixed in the first service pack.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows 10? Here are privacy issues you should consider

Interesting all the info Microsoft has access to.

Wow, that is heartbreaking. I will have to jump ship on microsoft products and not go through the upgrade for now

• themanwholaughsthemanwholaughs Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ]Also you have to consider Wi Fi Sense as well like wi fi sense is enabled by default in windows 10[

Heres a FAQ on Wi Fi Sense for more reading Wi-Fi Sense FAQ - Windows Help

Theres also security concerns regarding the policys of googles option to wardrive your wi fi hotspots with that feature as well.

How to turn off Windows 10's controversial Wi-Fi sharing feature | Business Insider

I would recommend turning that feature off with that article to turn off the feature and if you have any windows 10 computers connecting to your wi fi make sure those features are off. I dont know why they put this feature in, maybe its because its easier for people to just share it to people when they come over but microsoft is using this feature in the wrong way by backlogging the wi fi information. Also read this about the windows 10 privacy issues -[/FONT][/SIZE]Windows 10 Privacy Issues you need to be aware of | BGR

Personally I was going to upgrade to windows 10 to tell customers about but these issues have annoyed me in the sense microsoft doesn't seem to care about the end users data and using facebook and outlook contracts to share information isnt the best option to have.

I'm going to play around with windows 10 if I get the ISOs in a lab and test the security issues and send them a report on them. It may not be a problem for the end user but big companies will have an issue with these features.

[/FONT][/SIZE]
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    What upgrade? Do you consider switching to Windows 10 an upgrade?!
    Saying no to MS for the switch to 10. Nothing enticing to switch to. I already have devices that talk back if I wanted that. Better browser? Got that already. Mandatory automatic updates? Already have a machine that does it. Unified app store? Done with it.
    My current Windows 7 install records TV shows for me and autoplays DVD's when I pop a disc inside. Which Windows 10 can't.
    My tech newsfeed got inundated these few days with Windows 10 stories. One more reason to hate MS and to not switch.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Time will tell on the actual number of exploits, but, the security design and mitigations present in windows 10 are much better than any other current mainstream OS, including OS X. Any perceived privacy issues can be fairly easily fixed via preferences, but the other security stuff is outstanding. As soon as ocl-hashcat 1.37 drops with support for newer AMD drivers, I will be upgrading.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bought a new laptop a few months back and it came with Windows 8 on it. I upgraded to 10 last night. I like it so far. Not a huge difference but I'm liking it better than 8. Like the Start Menu... The new browser seems decent... I like trying out new things so I jumped on it ;) Need to poke around it more.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Liking it so far.
    Havent played around with it too much.

I hate the MS account intergration though. I first was using a local account. But to get to the "app store" you have to log in. And once I logged in it connected my local account with that email address.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    I hate the MS account intergration though. I first was using a local account. But to get to the "app store" you have to log in. And once I logged in it connected my local account with that email address.

+1 Agree!
    I disabled some features already that I found on various articles. The OS is fast for sure. I'll be playing with it a bit more over the weekend too.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After years on Linux, I'm moving back to Windows in my PC. It got the two things it was lacking: virtual desktops (someone will say that with dual monitors you don't need them, but if you have a single monitor, it's pretty much needed) and a built-in packaging system.
    I think Microsoft is taking the right steps to get stronger in the cloud arena. They are already targeting telecommuters with the build in feature to connect to a domain or Azure AD. This will probably lead to more companies taking the leap and going to the cloud. Sure there are privacy issue concerns wheb joining your personal pc to some company domain but I'm sure someone will come up with some rules and policies for that.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    yzT wrote: »
    After years on Linux, I'm moving back to Windows in my PC. It got the two things it was lacking: virtual desktops (someone will say that with dual monitors you don't need them, but if you have a single monitor, it's pretty much needed) and a built-in packaging system.

Multiple workspaces is a feature I just can not live without anymore. Regardless of the number of monitors. I've tried some hacks for other versions of Windows but it's just not there for me. Maybe I'll give 10 a look!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    I'm in no hurry for 10, 7 Pro 64 bit is fine for me and has no problems that 10 can solve.

Besides, 10 will have initial problems, so you might as well wait for those to get fixed in the first service pack.

I already saw one initial problem. One of the techs I supervise has to work from home for this week and he put Windows 10 on the PC he's using (not sure why he didn't wait) and it looks like the Cisco VPN client we use isn't working. It's version 5 but tried a fresh install and compatibility mode and it's still a no go. I get wanting to get the latest tech but don't put it on your only PC that you have to work from.
    Multiple workspaces is a feature I just can not live without anymore. Regardless of the number of monitors. I've tried some hacks for other versions of Windows but it's just not there for me. Maybe I'll give 10 a look!
    They are working flawlessly now, just missing a shortcut for moving a windows to another workspace.
    Upgraded my main PC, I really like it. Seems like a logical upgrade from Windows 7 where the tablet mode is not the default UI if you are on a desktop.
  • techfan21techfan21 Registered Users Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just upgraded my laptop yesterday and I got to say I like Windows 10 so far course the live tiles kinda are pointless in my mind.
    How to Disable Notification Sounds in Windows 10

I was getting annoyed by the notification sounds, I wanted to keep notifications on but turn off the sound effects.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I don't like the direction Microsoft has gone in since Windows 7. Windows 8, 8.1, and now 10 are all crap. I highly doubt I'll be going back to using Windows at any time. Work gave me a Mac and it suits my needs. Windows is just a giant pile of steaming crap.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did a clean install on two machines, Thinkpad x230 tablet and Haswell i5 desktop.

On the Thinkpad, fingerprint authentication and pen input worked right off the bat. Even the tablet buttons works. Lenovo has released Windows 10 drivers for the Thinkpad line. If you have a laptop, you'll still need to enable AHCI Link Power Management manually for extra hours on battery power.

On the desktop, no issues. Just made sure I had the latest Intel drivers.

As for Windows 10, I do really like the window snapping function for managing windows and virtual desktop functionality. Also subjectively, Windows 10 feels faster than Windows 8.1 which I was previously running.
    I really like it so far, unfortunately I rarely use my desktop for anything but gaming. I like the "Game Bar" feature but I won't use it but see it being really useful for gamers who like to record their play sessions. The notification area I am used to since I have that on my Macbook. So glad to be rid of the "metro" app appearance.
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not just here, but everywhere in general it seems the only people digging their heels in are 1) people that hate MS and haven't actually tried Windows 10 2) bloggers with clickbait headlines.

It might be that way because the only people on Win10 right now are those that are enthusiastic enough to give it a shot the first week, but it's hard to deny the flood of positive feedback MS is getting. They must have learned a ton from botching the XBone release.
  • goobacksgoobacks Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been using the Insider preview for a few months now and I'm loving it so far. Runs smoothly on my personal machine. My machine is a bit old for my gaming needs so I still get a few hiccups but that's because of my machine, those issues are present on windows 7, 8.1, and now 10. I can recommend windows 10 way more than 8.1 haha. Oh and streaming my xbox one to my pc in the other room is awesome icon_thumright.gif
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the Windows Insider preview versions as my sole OS for a while now. Upgraded to the final release on the 29th. The only issues I've seen, so far, is that I couldn't set the default location for saving documents from OneDrive to the local computer. Every time I did, it wouldn't save the settings.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    For me right now it's the smoother OS available in the market. Neither OSX nor Linux desktop (and Linux has been my main OS for over 7 years) can't compare to it.

Now... we will see in six months if the good performance keeps going... that we all know that Windows in the long-term always end up decreasing its performance.
  • UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using Win10 for a couple days now and so far it seems to run pretty smoothly. I've disabled a lot of the extra features and limited Cortana to combat the privacy issues and I haven't noticed any major deficiencies. It's only on my secondary laptop, and will probably be little while before I switch over on my main machine. Though so far everything looks good.

I've also only been using the Edge browser, and it's been a major improvement. It runs a lot like chrome, and is very quick.
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. I must say I really am enjoying it so far, as previously mentioned I've had to disable some features and privacy concerns and hardened the OS a bit. This is all relatively done in a short period of time.