Options

New to I.T stuff

TommyTTommyT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new to I.T but buying the Mike Meyers A+ and Net+ all in one exam guide. is this a good idea to get me started? thanks

Comments

• Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are you looking to get started in? A+ and Net+ will definitely help teach you the basics of computers and networking.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    TommyTTommyT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Nelson, thanks for the reply. I want to maybe to ethical hacking or security. I am in a tight bind because I more than likely be getting medically retired and that doesn't pay much. I am starting over at age 40 so I want to get certified so I can get a new job some where. I have been watching videos on youtube and started studying the A+ and Net+. it seems like a lot so I am not sure how some people finish in a month. I am on medical leave so I can spend 8-12 hours reading so I hope I can finish in a month too.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I studied for the Network+ exam I used Mike Meyer's All In One book. I studied for about 35-40 hours reading through the book, taking notes, and taking practice exams.

Both A+ and Network+ in one month seems like a tall order. I would recommend just study at your own pace and take the test when you think you're ready.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TommyT wrote: »
    Hi Nelson, thanks for the reply. I want to maybe to ethical hacking or security. I am in a tight bind because I more than likely be getting medically retired and that doesn't pay much. I am starting over at age 40 so I want to get certified so I can get a new job some where. I have been watching videos on youtube and started studying the A+ and Net+. it seems like a lot so I am not sure how some people finish in a month. I am on medical leave so I can spend 8-12 hours reading so I hope I can finish in a month too.

Those people that finish it in a moth they either have hands on experience or they have IT degrees and others just study a lot.
    If you want to understand IT, you need to do a lot of reading, in your case, a lot everyday! Start by getting your hands on some virtual machine applications and setup some VM's with different operating systems. Here's a howto Beginner Geek: How to Create and Use Virtual Machines
    Get a 2nd monitor to make your study and time more efficient. A 2nd monitor will save a lot of time with hands on practice because you can read your pdfs, articles, guides etc on one screen and then implement the work and your testing on the 2nd screen.
    Back to VM's these are a good learning tool because if you mess up something you can also re-create the VM or you can go back in the past.
    Look around the forum here also and read up on what people are saying. A good site to visit and learn IT related stuff is https://www.cybrary.it/ and https://www.brighttalk.com both are free and have courses or webinars you can attend and learn stuff. Having a 2nd monitor will help with the videos too so i suggest it again.
  • Options
    vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Tommy. TheFORCE gave you some great advice. People who can cram and study in 1 month to pass those certs generally have real-world experience in the field.

If you’re starting over I would suggest getting your feet wet in a few areas to see what interests you.

A+ > Net+ > Security+

The above is the normal route most people getting into IT go. That way you will have a grasp on general IT, networking, & security and then decide what route best suits you.

I would also suggest watching Professor Messer’s videos and grabbing the A+ exam cram book.

If you end up having any specific questions feel free to send me a PM. I would be glad to help. :thumbsup: