Did CEH help you get a job?

g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed my CEH a few months ago and have begun to wonder how marketable it will be. Has the CEH helped anyone get a job? I am not actively looking, just curious if the work I put into it will help in the future. Working on my CISSP now.

Thanks!

Comments

• IggI_SupremeIggI_Supreme Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass and yeah i dont have it but i know having CEH opens you up to a wider playing field in the job ,arket so your chances are going to be better
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not on its own but i think it contributed.
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently working as a security analyst so I have experience and am self taught so I was just wondering what doors its opened for others if any. The CISSP is a totally different animal if anyone is curious.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are or ever find yourself in the military/DoD space, CEH and CISSP in combination open up a lot of doors because those 2 cover a lot of ground in the DoD 8570 directive. Of course, you'd also need to possess a security clearance in order to qualify. :)

As for holding weight on its own, I haven't seen any jobs in my area that specifically ask for it, but I'm sure as other have mentioned it would be a great accent to your CISSP when you get it.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    g33k3r wrote: »
    I am currently working as a security analyst so I have experience and am self taught so I was just wondering what doors its opened for others if any. The CISSP is a totally different animal if anyone is curious.

I was waiting for my CISSP endorsement and have been offered a security analyst role so its helped me move into the field.
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Archon wrote: »
    I was waiting for my CISSP endorsement and have been offered a security analyst role so its helped me move into the field.

Are you referring to your CEH or CISSP?
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My $.02 - worked for a security consulting company for a while, people who had their CEH alone applying to be penetration testers were laughed at by the hiring folks for those positions. Depending upon where you are applying, having it from an HR perspective might be one of the 'golden check boxes' that you meet some kind of criteria they are looking for.
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was surprised that the WGU CyberSecurity Mentor position specifically requested CEH. So there is that.

As mentioned by spicy ahi, it's helpful if you're already DoD or considering it. Though if you get hired you have six months to acquire the certs, and they'll pay for it, so if you already have work experience it's a better deal to wait. Though it was nice onboarding and already having my baseline in hand.
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Of note - you only get six months to get your certs as a GS employee. Contractors must be baselined from day 1!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Of note - you only get six months to get your certs as a GS employee. Contractors must be baselined from day 1!

Interesting. I came on as a contractor (Engility Corp) in November 2012, worked for two months, deployed to Afghanistan for 6 months, waited a year, then took and passed Sec+ in June 2014. I applied for and was granted a waiver for the 6 month deadline because I was in Afghanistan. I wonder if the policy has changed since then, because it was six months from onboarding for us as well.

I'm glad I waited since I switched to GS shortly after and do not have to renew until 2017. (Made moot by CEH/CISSP anyway).