Options

How granular should I make my index?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
So I've read the threads here, JD's blog, and another website that is linked in a post here, and I've got the format that I want to make my index. Now I have a question as to how granular to make it (if it matters I'm making one for the GSEC).

For example, on the slide for Bluetooth Security, it mentions the secrecy PIN selected by the user and the MAC address of the Bluetooth device creates the BD_ADDR. Should I just put in "Bluetooth Security" in my index, or should I also put in an entry for "BD_ADDR"? I'm leaning towards the latter in case a question comes up that mentions it specifically and I can't remember that BD_ADDR relates to Bluetooth security. I just wanted to get a feel for how granular others made their indexes.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If there's a chance I won't recognize something, I would add both. Since Bluetooth is not something I see everyday, I would add both "Bluetooth Security" and "BD_ADDR" as entries. Last thing I want is blanking out on the exam and been unable to associate "BD_ADDR" with bluetooth. Since my UNIX is rusty I always end up with duplicate entries for everything related to that. Better safe than sorry. If there's something I know fairly well I don't even include it on the index. I think my biggest has been 13-14 pages.
  • Options
    josh.armentrout1josh.armentrout1 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sent you a PM to answer your question. In general, I was very granular due to the range of topics. I had multiple entries for topics such as Bluetooth, Bluetooth Security, BD_ADDR, and Bluetooth BD_ADDR. I did not use short hand in my index, but I did not let it get too lengthy. Like cyberguypr said, I too ended up with duplication. I don't think this time duplication is a bad thing. Just lengthens the index, but it's thorough. Mine was a little bigger than cyberguypr's at 74 pages, but hey different strokes.... right?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think if you know the material, the indexes may not matter as much as you imagine. I personally went for the old fashion sticky notes by major topics. Nothing fancy.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My GSEC index was 10 pages back to back - in alignment with what cyberguy and josh said, I would recommend granularity for topics you are less familiar with, as 'blanking' is the last thing you want to do during a test.

With regards to format, I had 4 columns - 'Subject / Keyword", Book, Page #'s, Definition/Description (just contained high level info).

I felt good going into it having already been familiar with many of the topics, but felt there was extra value in taking the time to build my own index having heard the material / read it / put it into a spreadsheet manually.
  • Options
    rhaynalrhaynal Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me the index provides a quick, one book lookup. The more information there, the better off you are. Having said that, I usually do them this way:
    1) Attend training class
    2) Go over all the books, paraphrasing sides so that they are meaning full to you with book and page numbers.
    3) As I am doing step 2, list all software apps/tools cover with a brief description and page number, then I sort apps/tools alphabetically.
    4) Re-read all books again, only this time focusing only on the speakers notes section.
    5) Make index with tabs for books 1-6 and one more for apps/tools.
    6) Download the mp3s and listen to them while doing the above.

Always worked for me. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm studying for the GCIH and my index is 9 pages front/back broken down into 3 sections: topics, tools, commands. Next to each of these I have book #, page #, and description (I also list the OS for tools/commands). How detailed of a description I use is based on my level of understanding on that topic/tool/command.

I'm currently going through all of the books again with my printed index to write notes on them for fine tuning.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS