Options

Booked the exam for August 7th

SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
As the title says, I've booked my ITIL Foundations exam for August 7th. I've about finished a book and have been watching CBT Nuggets for the corresponding chapters before I read. I'm passing the end of the chapter exams but I don't feel as if I'm retaining anything as all of the processes and acronyms melt together because they're so similarly named. Any recommendations from those of you that have taken and passed the test?

Comments

• Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I always find that having to answer exam type questions helps you cement the knowledge in memory.

There are plenty of sites that offer downloads of exam files (just search for "VCE download ITIL" and you will find plenty).

To play these files with a VCE file extntion you need a paid for bit of software and there are few options. So far the best value one I found is an Android app called "VCE A+ Classic" which costs £12 from the android stores - you run this on your phone/tablet, copy the VCE files to the device and load them into the App and then work through the questions.

There is a free demo mode for the app which lets you use the first 9 questions in each exam so if you are really stuck for cash you can get lots of VCE files and play the first 9 from each :)

There questions could well be the same ones you see in the exam (my exam was made up of 80% of the questions I saw in the VCE files, so made a bit of a mockery of the exam).

The downside is that there are some duff questions and some with the wrong answers so you can't take them as a reliable source. They are free (it is only the app you pay for and you can them use it for other exams from Microsoft, Cisco etc) so you can't really expect that much.

The above represents a possible mechanism to help, but you may find that classroom based study / questions works best for you as what I have given is almost a **** - it focusses on the questions and not learning the subject matter. It is up to you to decide your approach I guess.

Good luck.

Iain
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    UncleB wrote: »
    I always find that having to answer exam type questions helps you cement the knowledge in memory.

There are plenty of sites that offer downloads of exam files (just search for "VCE download ITIL" and you will find plenty).

To play these files with a VCE file extntion you need a paid for bit of software and there are few options. So far the best value one I found is an Android app called "VCE A+ Classic" which costs £12 from the android stores - you run this on your phone/tablet, copy the VCE files to the device and load them into the App and then work through the questions.

There is a free demo mode for the app which lets you use the first 9 questions in each exam so if you are really stuck for cash you can get lots of VCE files and play the first 9 from each :)

There questions could well be the same ones you see in the exam (my exam was made up of 80% of the questions I saw in the VCE files, so made a bit of a mockery of the exam).

The downside is that there are some duff questions and some with the wrong answers so you can't take them as a reliable source. They are free (it is only the app you pay for and you can them use it for other exams from Microsoft, Cisco etc) so you can't really expect that much.

The above represents a possible mechanism to help, but you may find that classroom based study / questions works best for you as what I have given is almost a **** - it focusses on the questions and not learning the subject matter. It is up to you to decide your approach I guess.

Good luck.

Iain

How much did the test cost?
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I sat mine back in 2013 and it cost £100, but the prices have gone up a lot since then.
    The best price I saw was £145+VAT (from BCS) and the same exam from APMG costs £225 - there seems to be a lot of discrepancy between different suppliers so it pays to shop around.
    A few links from a search give these options, but there are plenty more:
    Buy ITIL Foundation Exam online for over 600 test centres UK and worldwide
    ITIL IT Service Management | IT service management | Certifications | BCS Certifications
    Public Exam Pricing | APMG-International

It will be the same exam at the end of the day so why pay more - have a good look.
    thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    zcarenow wrote: »
    How much did the test cost?

thanks.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just bought a voucher for $179.95, but haven't scheduled the exam yet. Expires 8/21.

Discounted VUE Exin ITIL Foundation Exam Voucher! Expires: 8/21/2015
  • Options
    Got a 92%. I'll take it.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    naclh2onaznaclh2onaz Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What book did you use to study?
    2017 Goals:
    CISSP [X]
    2018 Goals:
    CRISC [ ]
  • Options
    naclh2onaz wrote: »
    What book did you use to study?

I purchased two books:

ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide - ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide: 9781119942757: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com
    ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849283990

I think I read the first two or three chapters in the top book and skimmed through the bottom one. That said, I wouldn't recommend others doing that but I just couldn't get interested in the material because of how dry it was. I also watched the CBT Nuggets video series prior to doing any reading so I guess I just retained most of it there. ITIL just doesn't excite me like it does others.
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't why persons are so diplomatic in their feedback about ITIL exam preparation. I'll say it, ITIL IS BORING. I PASSED THE FOUNDATIONS AND WILL NOT BE GOING TO THE OTHER LEVELS BECAUSE IT IS JUST TOO BORING.icon_cheers.gificon_cool.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup: