Options

Changing careers, 33, no experience where do I start

TransmanTransman Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So here it is. I am 33 and changing careers. I have a BS in Criminal Justice and years of experience as a child abuse investigator. I have been a Apple/Mac fanatic for at least the last 3 years, however I am realizing that entering into the IT arena I need to switch modes back to Windows. I would love to do the ACMT however I don't know how successful I would be in finding a position outside of Apple (sorry if Apple chat isn't allowed here).

My only experience with IT is simple home network connections (wireless printers, speakers, routers, televisions), installing programs, setting up new computers and simple use of a computer both for work and home.

I haven't pinpointed my direction. I am not sure if my interest in networks or system administration is the direction or if I should build on my current education and experience and try to move into the direction of security or forensics (although forensics seems to be a super specialized niche).

I have bought and have started studying Mike Meyers A+ book. I'm getting though it but eh, I think I would enjoy the Network+ or CCENT better. Being an adult with ADD who is normally not a huge fan of reading this has been quite a challenge =)

I would love some advice on where to start, if the A+ is/isn't a good place. I really do not think I have any desire to write code, do programming or things along that line. If anyone wants to share on experiences or offer advice with career changes, directions that they took, etc. I would love to hear.

Should I continue with the A+ or start with Network+ or even CCENT? What positions should I look into once I have the A+ or Net+? I have the money saved to take bootcamps, training, etc. however I do not have the time, currently, to take a traditional college course or degree program.

I know I am not the only 33 year old changing careers into what feels like a foreign field and feeling like I'll be 40 before I have a decent salary again but I would certainly appreciate the info.

Comments

• Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you're on the right path focusing on the basics/fundamentals and working your way up from there. Do what you like, but don't be afraid to grow and expand. Also, continue to research into what you'd like to do and work backwards in terms of discovering what the requirements are. Good luck!
  • Options
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're on the right path, A+ is the way to start. Considering your background, I believe you would do great with digital forensics, incident handling, such certs as the GCIH, etc.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    A+ is kind of a generic certification, everyone and their brother has one. Start with the Cisco CCT. Studying for a Cisco exam will be a challenge for ADD!

CCT Routing & Switching - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Go on the Udemy training video site and look up the CCENT / CCNA videos that Lazaro Diaz teaches, I like his teaching style, and I learned a lot of Cisco IOS configuring from it too.

While studying, contact technical temp agencies in your area looking for Desktop Support work. Not help desk, as that is just answering phones. You need some halfway decent hardware experience and dealing with clueless end users.
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    You're on the right path, A+ is the way to start. Considering your background, I believe you would do great with digital forensics, incident handling, such certs as the GCIH, etc.

Thank you for the information. I will certainly look into that certification and the steps leading in that direction.

Out of curiosity, I noticed your ACMT - does it come in handy independently or is something that is nice to have coincide with other certs?
  • Options
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    A+ is kind of a generic certification, everyone and their brother has one. Start with the Cisco CCT. Studying for a Cisco exam will be a challenge for ADD!

CCT Routing & Switching - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Definitely something that I will look into. I actually think I would enjoy that. Great place to start. It's a bit confusing having many different interests and honing in one the best.
  • Options
    Would it be better for me to start with the Network+ or CCENT bootcamp? Should I do the A+ bootcamp instead of reading myself?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Transman wrote: »
    Would it be better for me to start with the Network+ or CCENT bootcamp? Should I do the A+ bootcamp instead of reading myself?

I know everyone is telling you to start with the low level certificates and that's all good for entry level jobs. But you already have a degree in Criminal Justice and I'm sure it is not an easy degree to get. Since you are in the initial stages of your discovery I would read the material for those certifications but i would not take them, instead if i were you, I would look at the CISA certification, it is an auditors certification. I do not know if you would like that, but if you were to combined your degree with the CISA you would be taken seriously right away. You do need some experience to meet the requirements but i leave the research up to you. Look over at the CISA syllabus and see if it would be something that could potentially interest you.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for the information. I will certainly look into that certification and the steps leading in that direction.

Out of curiosity, I noticed your ACMT - does it come in handy independently or is something that is nice to have coincide with other certs?

Eh I only went for the ACMT because of my job, I work on macs all day, so they provided the training. It's an online open book, timed exam, however it is not easy because they ask very specific questions. I wouldn't bother with it unless someone pays for your training and you are going to work on macs. It does look good that I know that platform, but I don't think it is necessary. Also it depends if you want to go into hardware. If you are more interested in networking, then I would go the N+, CCENT, CCNA path. If it is security, Security+, CISSP, etc. If you are interested in A+, then go for it.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With a criminal justice background, you could easily move into a cyber role with the local police or feds with the right certs and some experience under you belt. Maybe get something that compliments your background. You could go A+, then down the digital forensics trail. A+ will be a good basis for the hardware that you'd encounter and learning about the interworkings of hard drives. Me personally, I'd want to compliment my existing background and experience instead of starting from scratch. But it really does depend on your interest and what you develop a passion for.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will give you some advice and hope you run with it. I listened to forum members when i started it and got my a+ and windows 7 cert and followed the path taking baby steps.

Now that i am in it i realize you can learn the basics on the job in one week. Restart said computer, outlook is not workin, computer is slow, add new user to ad and exchange etc. Very basic stuff.

What takes you to the next step is focusing on mcsa certification followed by the ccna.

Think about if you apply for an entry level cert with a mcsa you can help out the sys admins and with the ccna you can help out with network issues. This will take you to the next phase in your career. From there go with ccnp or get your mid level microsoft certs.

Please dont waste your time with comptia.
  • Options
    ortizf3ortizf3 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is my first post, but I've been following the forums for a few weeks now. I am also switching careers from a criminal justice background into the I.T field. I just wanted to offer you some encouragement and there is a lot of great info that could be learned on here. I agree with you that the initial switch is definitely overwhelming with so many different I.T areas and certifications paths. Well I have a Master's in Criminal Justice with graduate certificates in security studies and forensic criminology. I am one week into my B.S in Information Technology at UMass, only need to take 10 courses to get the degree. Currently passed 801 and studying for 802, hope to earn A+ in the near future. Then plan on doing N+ and S+. I am looking to go the networking or security route, not quite sure yet. I am currently a police dispatcher, so I am able to do some of my school work at work therefore I just plan on getting some entry level certs, so when I finish my degree in the spring I'll be able to apply for jobs and look more desirable. Feel free to message me if you have in questions or want to keep in touch. I am in the Boston area. :)
  • Options
    It is really nice to know the feeling is mutual, feeling overwhelmed. I do have a background in criminal justice and although I am 33, will be 34 on Thursday, I just feel so old and like it's to late in life to make a change. But I have set the small goal of achieving the Network+ certification. I don't know what I will even do once I get it however that is the small goal for now. I started working on the A+ but I really just couldn't keep up, at least teaching myself. The info on the microprocessors started the confusion, but I started reading Network+ and I can keep up like I know whats going on. I personally have been struggling with whether to go to Nursing school (my wife is a nurse) or to go into IT.

Most days I feel like I am so far behind when it comes to IT, since there are 10 year olds writing programs, that I will never get into a good and nice paying position and that I enjoy. At any rate, it is nice to know that there are others, changing careers and looking down the same long and challenging road. Congrats on the education that you have started on, I REALLY don't want to have to get another degree, so I am hoping that I will be able to get something with the cert and no degree.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ecuadra wrote: »
    Please dont waste your time with comptia.

+1
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It is really nice to know the feeling is mutual, feeling overwhelmed. I do have a background in criminal justice and although I am 33, will be 34 on Thursday, I just feel so old and like it's to late in life to make a change. But I have set the small goal of achieving the Network+ certification. I don't know what I will even do once I get it however that is the small goal for now. I started working on the A+ but I really just couldn't keep up, at least teaching myself. The info on the microprocessors started the confusion, but I started reading Network+ and I can keep up like I know whats going on. I personally have been struggling with whether to go to Nursing school (my wife is a nurse) or to go into IT.

Most days I feel like I am so far behind when it comes to IT, since there are 10 year olds writing programs, that I will never get into a good and nice paying position and that I enjoy. At any rate, it is nice to know that there are others, changing careers and looking down the same long and challenging road. Congrats on the education that you have started on, I REALLY don't want to have to get another degree, so I am hoping that I will be able to get something with the cert and no degree.

1.) Stop feeling overwhelmed. 2.) you are not 'old', and 3.) it is NEVER too late to make a change. That is what keeps (at least, me) young. So stop putting obstacles in your way. icon_smile.gificon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I were you I would move into Cyber Role investigating crimes against children on the internet. You can move fast with your background.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    para_owlpara_owl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm 39, have a b.s. in Criminology/Criminal Justice. I have a few years experience in clerical work, but most of my career has been in retail and a few temp jobs here and there. I'm taking a few classes at my local community college. They have a certificate program which is 15-20 credits for people like myself that already have a bachelor's degree. I'm not sure how many doors that will open once completed, but I'll see how things work out as I take more courses.

"I haven't pinpointed my direction. I am not sure if my interest in networks or system administration is the direction or if I should build on my current education and experience and try to move into the direction of security or forensics (although forensics seems to be a super specialized niche"

I'm in the same dilemma here too. I love the idea of computer forensics, but it may be too limited. I'm focusing my education on anything network related first.

--Will.
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    I'd start with Net+ then CCENT/CCNA. This will give you some foundation on the network stuff.
  • Options
    Check out the CHFI cert and maybe some cyber forensics books? This could be a good logical step from criminal justice. Lots of cyber crime needing experts these days.
  • Options
    dragonsden wrote: »
    Check out the CHFI cert and maybe some cyber forensics books? This could be a good logical step from criminal justice. Lots of cyber crime needing experts these days.

I did a little research on the CHFI Cert. It says there is no experience needed so can that be correct that anybody can just take a 5 day course and be a certified investigator? Seems a little to easy.
  • Options
    Im not sure about the requirements. EC-Council considers CHFI one step higher than CEH, and CEH requires 2 years in IT.
  • Options
    NalsetNalset Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Transman,

I am in the same boat, shifting gears from the legal field to the IT world with zero experience. Except that I am 40! Little scared/nervous as well. Recently got my A+ and Net+. Not to scare you, but I have not got any interviews with the a+ and Net+, although I do know people who have gotten jobs without experience with those certs. Thinking about either getting my CCEnt/CCNA or my MCSA. Want to get into networking, but am thinking that I will need to try and get a help desk position before I can do anything.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nalset: I know the feeling of not getting callbacks, my resume was the issue. Have to find transferable skills from your previous career and focus on them to show you'd be a good candidate.

It's never too late to change, I did at 33 and this forum really helped me get in by providing resume and interview tips.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    gex598gex598 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see your in central Florida are you near Tampa? FDLE is located in Tampa and is always hiring forensic people, you only need a BS an it doesnt have to be in IT. I also know a local sheriff's office near Tampa that will be hiring for multiple positions in the next month send me a message if you want more info.