CBT Nuggets worth it for CCENT/CCNA?

JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
I just wanted some real opinions here of people that have used CBT Nuggets in their studies for CCENT. I would like to know if it is worth the cost as I am sort of limited on what I can spend right now on my continued training on getting my CCENT. I already have a subscription to Pluralsight/Trainsignal and their CCNA series and find that they are pretty good but I am wondering if I would be better off with CBT nuggets instead? I also have the Chris Bryant videos and have gone through some of those as well as INE videos but I just keep seeing that a lot of people that have passed their tests have used CBT Nuggets. I just wish it was more inexpensive. Any insight you can give would be helpful!
Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM

Comments

• bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're gonna go with CBT Nuggets, just get a free trial and watch all the videos in a week and since I see that you'e gone through other CCENT videos, you might wanna focus on watching videos from CBT Nuggets on areas you had the most issues with or you feel like you didn't fully understand. That's what I did and didn't have to pay a single penny for it. You just gotta be diligent and have enough time to watch them before the trial expires. I divided up how many hours they had at least for the CCENT and watched about 3 hours worth of content per day until the trial was up.

There were many that I watched at faster speeds so it would take me less time to watch all of them to get the information. I would definitely say they are worth it if you like their style of teaching. It's not for everyone.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used CBT Nuggets for my CCENT test and loved it. Jeremy does a particularly good presentation on subnetting. I agree with bender. At least sign up for their free trial.
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Both CBT nuggets and INE make great Cisco videos. Personally I like to use them both together.
  • JB_15JB_15 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    go for it they are worth it.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely worth it, great instructor for the CCNA videos.
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Great to know! Thanks a lot guys for the input so far on this. I think I may take the dive and do the monthly subscription even if it's for a few months or so to get through CCENT on maybe through CCNA.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When in doubt...the more resources the better
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    CBTNuggets is great to get your head round the base concepts and it's explained pretty well. However, I would recommend purchasing some Chris Bryant videos once you have watch the CBTNuggets as he goes into more depth and detail.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    https://www.cybrary.it/course/cisco-ccna/ also has about 15hrs of free CCNA content. Not as in depth as CBT Nuggets though.

CBT Nuggets also have some additional courses which may be of use as well, namely:
    -Exam Walkthrough (ICND1/2)
    -Hands on Lab GNS3 and wireshark
    -IPv4 Subnetting

As a rookie myself, ive picked up a bit extra via these courses.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have watched the CBT Nuggets, then ITPro.TV afterwards. I felt like ITPro.TV presented the material better and actually cleared up some stuff for me. YMMV
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will throw another yes into the hat for CBT. They do a great job with the training. I like using them, INE, and Chris Bryant together. CBTs videos tend to be a bit longer while the Bryant videos tend to be shorter. I'll watch the CBT when I am at the house and then Udemy when I am trotting on the treadmill. Has worked out pretty well for me so far.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    I have watched the CBT Nuggets, then ITPro.TV afterwards. I felt like ITPro.TV presented the material better and actually cleared up some stuff for me. YMMV

First I've heard of ITPro.TV... Doesn't look bad, will have to check them out
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did the full year subscription to CB Nuggets and loved it. For a single subject I would suggest just doing one month or the free trial.

The thing to keep in mind is you could probably read the book twice and absorb the same amount of information in the same time. video helps to break it up and sometimes clarify some topics. I liked to watch the complete video series from start to finish to get a good feeling of the content and where the topics were going. Then I would read the book and focus more on retaining the information.
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Guys, thanks again for all the input to this and keep them coming as I haven't quite done the subscription yet, have been still mulling it over but ready to do it now. I feel I could use this training as ever since I got to around chapter 7 in Lammle's book and chapter 5 in the OCG, now going to chapter 14 in Lammle's book, I just don't feel I have all this nailed down at all. ACL's and NAT really tore me up and found that some of the labs in his book don't seem to fully work at least in the Lammle sim. I feel as though maybe I should get the nugget videos and just go all the way through them then go back and reread Lamlee's book or continue on in the OCG, just not sure.
  • bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jamesweb wrote: »
    Guys, thanks again for all the input to this and keep them coming as I haven't quite done the subscription yet, have been still mulling it over but ready to do it now. I feel I could use this training as ever since I got to around chapter 7 in Lammle's book and chapter 5 in the OCG, now going to chapter 14 in Lammle's book, I just don't feel I have all this nailed down at all. ACL's and NAT really tore me up and found that some of the labs in his book don't seem to fully work at least in the Lammle sim. I feel as though maybe I should get the nugget videos and just go all the way through them then go back and reread Lamlee's book or continue on in the OCG, just not sure.

That's why I've been reading less from the book and switched to videos on Udemy again and then coming back to Lammle's book when I need more clarification on something I didn't get, need more detail on a topic, or if I need to take a look at the specific examples of things I might see on the test, like the routing examples in Chapter 8 that I recently looked at. The micro Nuggets that are included are also really worth watching.

I feel that when it becomes much more lab based, it's much easier for me to go find someone who has done good lab videos and watching those and then practicing right there and gaining that experience working with a program like Packet Tracer or GNS3. I'm using the former right now and at this point, I've become pretty good at remembering what commands to use to navigate the IOS, configuring devices, enabling Ripv2, etc. There's still plenty I need to learn and right now, I'm doing EIGRP related labs and then moving onto OSPF when I feel like I've had enough practice.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CTB is are great resource.