Options

Trasnfer of Credits/certifications to WGU

Hi Everyone:
I am currently undergoing transcript and vendor certification evaluations and understand that WGU does not allow dual-study as well as won't accept credits once your start your 1st term.

Now I am trying to make the most of my time before my term starts and want to attain a few more certs like A+ and Project+ before Dec. I am Cisco engineer by profession and get really sick of OOP C# and Java. I want to know what other options are available to get the waiver for Scripting and Programming: fundamentals and applications? Whats the easiest of all?

I also looked at the transfer guidelines for IT-Security that has with-effective-from data of May 1st-2015 and most of the MCSD/MCPD and others listed there are retired exams. Now what are my options? I took 1z0-804 yesterday and failed with 51%. I am kind of lost at my options. Need some help and guidance.

What were your experiences? can anyone share the latest transfer guidelines? I have heard, they updated things again in July.

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I got sick of a lot of stuff too.. still had to take it. I don't take any security courses as I've had credit for all of them.. so its been tough, but you may need to take them as you have to have a minimum amount of courses to complete.. which is all documented I believe
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    WGU *WILL* accept certifcations after the evaluation period as long as they are required by the degree plan. I finished CCNA after my degree plan and they ended up dropping Network from my courses while I was in-progress.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    I would highly recommend passing the A+ before you start, that alone would knock out 3 classes (12CUs) from your degree plan.
  • Options
    usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    I am definitely after A+ at the moment. But what do you recommend to get rid of "scripting and programming:foundation & applications."
  • Options
    I got sick of a lot of stuff too.. still had to take it. I don't take any security courses as I've had credit for all of them.. so its been tough, but you may need to take them as you have to have a minimum amount of courses to complete.. which is all documented I believe

Chitownjedi: I saw you took the 70-417 Upgrade. Was it this year? How was it? Did it benefit you for IT-Security? Secondly, what do you recommend for scripting & programming (foundation & application?" Which courses did you take or plan to take? I have heard Python is also included and it makes more sense to do Python than OOP for Network Engineer or SEs. Thoughts?
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bpenn wrote: »
    WGU *WILL* accept certifcations after the evaluation period as long as they are required by the degree plan. I finished CCNA after my degree plan and they ended up dropping Network from my courses while I was in-progress.

Well I keep hearing that they won't. How did you get them to pass it?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    usman4673 wrote: »
    Chitownjedi: I saw you took the 70-417 Upgrade. Was it this year? How was it? Did it benefit you for IT-Security? Secondly, what do you recommend for scripting & programming (foundation & application?" Which courses did you take or plan to take? I have heard Python is also included and it makes more sense to do Python than OOP for Network Engineer or SEs. Thoughts?

I did the MCSA 2012 before I enrolled in WGU, No it didn't benefit me as I transferred in credits that were covered by other certifications and I ended up pretty much having credits for all the technical courses. I had on 4 courses that are technical which were the two scripting courses and two database courses.. everything else is business related or electives.. (an English course, Math, Statistics...etc)

70-417 was a beast... omg. So much stuff... definitely doable, however lots of stuff to cover.

In my Scripting course C173 while it covers scripting methods and things of that sort lots of the material was more concentrated on Computer Science theory, so you will learn about more than just scripting. The scripting language was focused more so on python. I found the udacity training videos very hard to follow as I didn't like the instructor very much, but you may like his methods much more than I did. I found him very very very difficult to follow. Towards the end videos from Lynda were 10x better.

I believe the second scripting class will be based on Java... Python stuff actually helped me get a better grasp of Powershell as Powershell seems to borrow heavily from it in some areas. At least conceptually.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    Well I keep hearing that they won't. How did you get them to pass it?

They don't like to do it, hence why they tell you they cant. They have to completely redo your evaluation and I guess that is resources they do not want to waste. I completed CCNA right after I started in September and they wavied CCNA and Network+ requirements. However, they had to redo my degree plan evaluation.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    So far, my experience with WGU has nothing short of excellent. Their tools/processes make so sense and I have yet to encounter a crooked/rude person. Where in my past experiences, dealing with traditional institutes, just getting a simple task completed on time is a challenge of its own without encountering rude person or a senseless procedure.