My WGU Progress 08/01/2015

Just figured I would start a progress thread for myself as well. Maybe help keep me more motivated!
I started Aug 1 2015, in the BS of IT: Network Admin degree plan.

I transferred in 20CUs out of the need 121CUs.

So far I have passed the following:
C182 - Introduction to IT (4CU)
C393 - IT Foundations (4CU)
C394 - IT Applications (4CU)
C183 - Operating Systems (6CU)
C184 - Operating Systems Management Policies (6CU)
C185 - Network Policies and Services Management (6CU)

Hope to complete by end of term:
C186 - Server Administration (6CU)
C187 - Network Reliability and Fault Tolerance (6CU)
C456 - English II (3CU)
C100 - Introduction to Humanities (3CU)
C278 - College Algebra (4CU)

Completed CU (including transferred credits): 50CU

I have been on a pretty good schedule. Seems to be about a class every 2 weeks, so I have completed 24CUs in a few days less than 2 months.

A lot of the beginning classes were "review". I had an A+ older than 5yrs (by 4 months) and they wouldn't allow me to transfer it in. I hated the MCSA: Windows 8 classes, desktop stuff hasn't been my job for a few years and it brought back why I refuse to work with them lol.

I am hoping now that I am getting into the stuff I enjoy I can become interested and eager to learn again.

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great progress! Keep it up, you'll be done before you know it.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    I am about to start WGU by Dec 1st. I am going after IT-Security. Do you know if having A+ waives you the following "3" courses?

Please let me know. I want to make most use of my current time and want to be finish everything in one term at WGU. They are currently evaluating my credits and I expect to be waived 75-80 credits.
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    usman4673 wrote: »
    I am about to start WGU by Dec 1st. I am going after IT-Security. Do you know if having A+ waives you the following "3" courses?

Please let me know. I want to make most use of my current time and want to be finish everything in one term at WGU. They are currently evaluating my credits and I expect to be waived 75-80 credits.

So, two things. According to the sheet I was sent, A+ DOES waive Intro to IT, IT Foundations, and IT Applications, however, I have heard mixed reviews on if it actually does or not. The best thing to do if you have it, would be to submit it and see if they count it off or not. I know for a fact it will waive C393, and C394, as those are both A+ classes, one to cover each exam.

On a side note, you have to have a minimum of "Needed Credits" to be able to enroll and I believe that number is 30CUs. I may be wrong, but something I have seen people get screwed on is not needing enough credits and having to take additional classes to meet the reqs.

I would check on both of these if I were you.
  • fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @ImThe0ne, cool progress man!
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your progress puts mine to shame! haha. Good job and good luck with the rest of your studies. Did you have a date that you were trying to finish by?
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice, how do you like WGU? Is it entirely online, you do every course from home?
  • UltimasUltimas Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    So, two things. According to the sheet I was sent, A+ DOES waive Intro to IT, IT Foundations, and IT Applications, however, I have heard mixed reviews on if it actually does or not. The best thing to do if you have it, would be to submit it and see if they count it off or not. I know for a fact it will waive C393, and C394, as those are both A+ classes, one to cover each exam.

On a side note, you have to have a minimum of "Needed Credits" to be able to enroll and I believe that number is 30CUs. I may be wrong, but something I have seen people get screwed on is not needing enough credits and having to take additional classes to meet the reqs.

I would check on both of these if I were you.

Very interesting as I did not get Intro to IT waived by my A+ (earned it in 2014)! I'm on the IT: Network Administration track which in my mind should not make a difference since it should be the same class. I have not started yet (November 1st projected start date) so I wonder if I can/should challenge this.

Anyone think it is possible to get them to satisfy the Intro to IT requirement with an A+ certification on the IT: Network Administration track?
    eugene_86 wrote: »
    Nice, how do you like WGU? Is it entirely online, you do every course from home?

Not the OP, but I go there as well. All the classes are online so they can be taken anywhere internet access is available. I like that they pay for certification attempts and I feel like I've learned a lot. But recently, I've been wondering if their IT - Security program really teaches the things I need to know to get into the Security field. I was kind of hoping I could jump from the Bachelors to a security position, but I don't think that's going to be possible without extra training/education.

Overall though, I think it's a pretty top notch school and it's nice to be able to go at your own pace and complete work whenever it's convenient for you.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
    What did you all take or planning to take for "scripting and programming: foundation/applications?" I HATE OOP programming. Just keep wondering, what options do I have once I start at WGU and meet these two monsters?

Secondly? Do mentors let you take the courses on your degree plan in "ANY" sequence you like? Do they only let you enrol for 12 CUs in the beginning of the term or can you request 16-20 to begin with?

Thanks for your time in advance.
    usman4673 wrote: »
    What did you all take or planning to take for "scripting and programming: foundation/applications?" I HATE OOP programming. Just keep wondering, what options do I have once I start at WGU and meet these two monsters?

Secondly? Do mentors let you take the courses on your degree plan in "ANY" sequence you like? Do they only let you enrol for 12 CUs in the beginning of the term or can you request 16-20 to begin with?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Not really sure what you're referring to concerning "scripting and programming: foundation/applications?". I'm guessing you saw that as a requirement somewhere? The only programming class on my degree is a class in Python. I'm doing the IT - Security track.

My mentor has pretty much let me go in any order I want. Generally I follow his advice as far as what class to take next, but I don't have to. I do my classes in logical order though (i.e. IT Fundamentals 1, then IT Fundamentals 2, then IT Fundamentals 3, etc). I imagine if I wanted to do it in a strange order as far as that's concerned, I probably wouldn't be allowed.

Also, it's not recommended to overload your schedule with 16-20 credits at the start. If you add a class onto your schedule for the semester and then wind up not having enough time to finish it, it will count as a "fail" and will affect your "on time progress". You can continue to add classes (past the required 12 minimum) to your schedule throughout the semester (It doesn't all have to be done right up front). In addition, you can access the class material for any class at any time you want (whether you're enrolled for it or not). So, the recommended method is to add your minimum requirement (12 credits), finish those, and then start studying for the next class. As soon as you feel you're ready to take the certification/exam for the next class, THEN you add it to your schedule and test for it. This way you don't accidentally have a class on your schedule that you can't finish by the end of the semester.
    aderon wrote: »
    Not really sure what you're referring to concerning "scripting and programming: foundation/applications?". I'm guessing you saw that as a requirement somewhere? The only programming class on my degree is a class in Python. I'm doing the IT - Security track.

I am referring to "C173 and C169" respectively when I say "scripting and programming: foundation/applications." Didnt you have to take two classes?

Secondly, your gave me a very valuable advice on how to start with 12 and add extra CUs as I feel comfortable. Cool! I am grateful to you.
    Nope. I think I might be on a newer plan or an older plan? They updated plans like a year ago and so sometimes people in the same program have slightly different class requirements. Besides python, I also had a class on database concepts which taught SQL which I guess could sort of count as a second programming language?
    Nope. I think I might be on a newer plan or an older plan? They updated plans like a year ago and so sometimes people in the same program have slightly different class requirements. Besides python, I also had a class on database concepts which taught SQL which I guess could sort of count as a second programming language?

Yeah, I also have the classes usman4673 is referring to, so this might be a newer plan than you are on. I can honestly say I am not looking forward to the Scripting and Programming classes either!
    Your progress puts mine to shame! haha. Good job and good luck with the rest of your studies. Did you have a date that you were trying to finish by?

Meh, I was hoping to be able to complete in two terms, but I don't want to fly through it so fast that I don't feel like I get anything out of it. Guess the way I look at it is, if I end up completing in two terms, great if not, I won't be super upset. I am roughly on a 12CUs per month rate at the moment. I am attempting to knock out all of the Microsoft stuff while they have their free "Second Shot" going on. I know at some point I will hit a roadblock and I honestly don't feel like I have been dedicating enough time to it.

I MAY study 1-2hrs each night and a little sprinkled throughout the day, which is something I am not pleased with. I have really changed my daily routine since I started and that both does and doesn't bother me. I think about all the additional time I could put into it, I could probably have knocked an extra class or two out by now, but at the same time it has been nice to not have to put much on hold and still be completing as much as I have.

I think once I have knocked all of the certifications out, I will have to put a lot more time and effort into it. At the moment my studying is CBT Nuggets /Training videos and the exam guides by Microsoft, etc. But I have been working with all of the technologies for years, so it is some mild tuning and learning things I haven't dealt with yet, but mostly review.
    Completed C185 yesterday. Thinking about taking a short break from the Microsoft exams and taking something non-certification exam based. Trying to not get burnt out on it, but at the same time I don't want to lose the exam taking train of thought. Might take one gen-ed class and then go back to Microsoft.
    Completed C179 today. Deciding to do another General Ed class or jump back on the Microsoft wagon to knock out the remaining 2 classes for it.

That makes:
    C179 - Business of IT: Applications (4CU)
    Total completed this term: 34CU

So, 7 classes in 14(ish) weeks. Still trying to stick to the 2 weeks per class rule. If I could, would be able to knock out 5 more classes before the term is up and would have knocked a total of 13 classes out this first time.
  • JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    Completed C179 today. Deciding to do another General Ed class or jump back on the Microsoft wagon to knock out the remaining 2 classes for it.

That makes:
    C179 - Business of IT: Applications (4CU)
    Total completed this term: 34CU

So, 7 classes in 14(ish) weeks. Still trying to stick to the 2 weeks per class rule. If I could, would be able to knock out 5 more classes before the term is up and would have knocked a total of 13 classes out this first time.

Only 2 weeks? Damn. I usually spent 4-6 weeks on a course unless it's Cisco... then it's 3 months.
    Only 2 weeks? Damn. I usually spent 4-6 weeks on a course unless it's Cisco... then it's 3 months.
    A large portion of these first classes have been pretty simple, especially since most of it is review and just preparing for the exam.
    Once I start having to write papers, it will probably slow down a bit, unfortunately.
    I will say, that is definitely an average, I had some classes take less and when I took C185, I felt like I hit a brick wall. It took me almost or right at a month to complete that one, I wasn't happy about that.

I was luckily able to transfer in all my cisco stuff, so I didn't have to worry about Net+, Sec+,etc. I don't believe my degree plan had any cisco anyways, think it was all comptia and microsoft.