TPP contains SOPA, anti-anonymity - Wikileaks.

Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
Courtesy FFTF email:
Last week, WikiLeaks released the final text of the TPP’s intellectual property rights chapter and it is absolutely terrifying.

These are just a few of its most dangerous pieces:

Compel ISPs to take down websites without any sort of court order, just like SOPA. (Appendix Section I)

Extend the US’s copyright regime to require copyrights stand for life plus 70 years, preventing anyone from using works that belong in the public domain. (Article QQ.G.6)

Criminalize whistleblowing by extending trade secrets laws without any mandatory exemptions for whistleblowers or investigative journalists. (QQ.H.8 )

End anonymity online by forcing every domain name to be associated with a real name and address. (Article QQ.C.12)

Make it illegal to unlock, modify, or generally tinker with a device you own. (Article QQ.G.10)

Export the US’s broken copyright policies to the rest of the world without expanding any of the free speech protections, like fair use. (Article QQ.G.17)

The worst part is that this is just one of the TPP’s 30 chapters.

https://wikileaks.org/tpp-ip3/WikiLeaks-TPP-IP-Chapter/WikiLeaks-TPP-IP-Chapter-051015.pdf?t=dXNlcmlkPTU0MjUyMDgxLGVtYWlsaWQ9MTAwMzA=

I figure U.S. citizens will be protected against some of the laws outlined in TPP, but does not bode well for other countries in this deal, and the internet itself.

Comments

• JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    According to Matt Drudge, one of my favorite news websites, Drudge Report, who orginally broke the Clinton Lewinsky scandal...its over for him:

» Matt Drudge: Copyright Laws Could Outlaw Linking to Websites Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Copyright laws will prevent him from linking to stories. According to him a US Supreme Court Justice told him to his face that once TPP passes, its over for him.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am taking a wait and see approach, if you look in the dictionary under alarmist Jones and Drudge are there. I bet the linking requirement is due to how many sites take and regurgitate content from others for their own profit. Most of the sites don't even create their own content they just harvest everybody else's work.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    if you look in the dictionary under alarmist Jones and Drudge are there.

In the United States, we are quick to dismiss these so called alarmist because they aren't offering 24/7 coverage of the Kardashians, sports (NFL, NBA, and UFC) and feel good stories.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    In the United States, we are quick to dismiss these so called alarmist because they aren't offering 24/7 coverage of the Kardashians, sports (NFL, NBA, and UFC) and feel good stories.

With jones it is just all doom and gloom. The end of the world is always coming. You can listen to a random pod cast of his from 4 years ago and it sounds like the one tommorrow. They want your guns, it's all over..now buy my water filter.

but hey, he is tagging that Leann chick so kudos for that