does the certificate have a version number?

knewboldknewbold Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
quick question
does the certificate have a version number on it?

this is to help my v8 - v9 queries

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No there is no version number. EC-Council dropped their version numbers I believe a year ago or so. Even though they don't have 'versions' new topics for what was supposed to be version 9 will be implemented Nov. 1st.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    In 2014, EC-Council issued a press release announcing that they dropped the version number from the name of the certification, and that the cert is now known as CEH ANSI. This was to differentiate the ANSI-approved CEHv8 cert from the previous, non-ANSI CEH releases. However, the "CEHv8" moniker persisted on their Web site and course materials (Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures v8 , and the new exam release is named "CEHv9." I don't see the "CEH ANSI" being used anywhere.
  • TK1799_stTK1799_st Member Posts: 111
    EC Council (ECC) is advertising the v9 as seen on their webpage:

CEH: Certified Ethical Hacking course from EC-Council

Plus they state on this webpage, "What is new in CEH v9 Course

They are using a new Objective List that is very different than the v8 Objective List:

https://www.eccouncil.org/Certification/certified-ethical-hacker/CEH-What-You-Will-Learn

But the Certification Director states they will no longer place the version on the earned certification.

At the moment, they have advised me that a Exam Seeker needs to study all relevant hacking material that is out in the IT realm and understand all the current exploits, vulnerabilities, and the 2200 commonly used hacker tools....best of luck with that!

She stated that they will not be offering official training material. Secure Ninja has the contract to conduct video training and on-site training.

Secure Ninja is advertising a version number that is 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLfGyLegVI

...the video states that it was published in 2013....so who knows...I do know that my Pearson Vue Receipt states 312-50 v8 on it! I purchased that on 25 SEP 2015.

It is all falling apart at the seams.....
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'm having a whale of a time on the emails with them apparently " its a standard exam" irrespective of material i choose to prepare and the exams are maintained and UPDATED from time to time to stay valid.

Then in the next sentance they've said their updates cehv9 courseware is available at training centres and online store so basically i replied I wont pass unless I either do their course or but the updated material the company is shocking but the ROI from the exam still makes me want it
  • BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i'm having a whale of a time on the emails with them apparently " its a standard exam" irrespective of material i choose to prepare and the exams are maintained and UPDATED from time to time to stay valid.

Then in the next sentance they've said their updates cehv9 courseware is available at training centres and online store so basically i replied I wont pass unless I either do their course or but the updated material the company is shocking but the ROI from the exam still makes me want it

Correct. It is an ANSI exam based on the job requirements of a CEH. Per ANSI, everyone has to be able to study for the exam equally. This is why the exam is not based on the official EC-Council courseware. You have to have the same chance of passing the exam regardless of study route taken (EC-Council courseware, third-party training, books, videos, or just relying on experience, etc.).

The updates are to their courseware, which should be considered separate from the exam. The exam has a blueprint that is followed and is required to be disclosed to the public per ANSI.

So no, you don't need to take their course or buy their courseware. If you have, or obtain, the requisite knowledge then you should be able to pass.
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So basically the real issue is the lack of comms about this from them and the fact no 3rd party company has videos or books out for it
  • BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Partially. I thought all of this was communicated when ANSI accreditation was obtained. And I think there are links explaining the process/requirements somewhere on their website. Or you can read through the ANSI material (if you're having a hard time sleeping).

The study guides may not match what the "experts" have determined to be the requisite knowledge to pass the CEH. If you look at the process that is required by ANSI, and all of the stuff that has to be done and take place, at multiple spots it requires panels of experts to review questions, determine scope, etc. This is what's really guiding the exam development. There are a number of people required to be in these, and usually from different industries, etc. to make it as "equal" across the board as possible. They then base the exam on job requirements for a CEH. Until a third-party/book writer actually takes the most recent version of the exam, what they think should be covered (most likely based on the EC-Council courseware) may not be what's really tested on (you'd think it should be but sounds like that's not the case).