Options

More than 1 remote job?

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
The possibility of obtaining 2 remote jobs sounds enticing to anyone, but what would be the downsides? Other than double the amount of work would your employers have to know than you are working 2 jobs at the same time?

Anyone you know work 2+ remote jobs from home, I am curious to know how common or uncommon this is.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    During the same hours? Do you have conference calls? I know that when I'm remote I still have calls and meetings, I couldn't just cancel them because I'm "busy" 50% of the time without it being an issue. If you mean you have one day shift and one night shift, they might not know, until you are so sleep deprived that you start performing badly at your role.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I work from home, but as Danielm7 pointed out conference calls would make it impossible to hold down two gigs in the same shift. A guy I work with tried it but got burnt out really quick trying to juggle two day jobs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just make sure you're not breaking some sort of non-compete clause. That's an interesting idea though. Never heard of anyone doing it. Other than the obvious issues that the others have mentioned (conference calls, meetings, etc), I don't see why it couldn't work.

The hardest part will probably be trying to get someone to hire you given that they know you won't be entirely focused on their work.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You've got an outage at both companies, which do you fix first?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Priston wrote: »
    You've got an outage at both companies, which do you fix first?

Easy, you fix both. Hop on firewall, determine if issue is with network or ISP. If ISP, call and create a ticket/ and enable the failover if you have one. Repeat for next client.

Note, I would personally not work for two companies remotely at the same time. If your considering this for financial reasons, spend your spare time increasing your worth instead, such as getting more certs, completing a degree, or starting your own business.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    The question was which do you fix first, not do you fix both or just one...
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Priston wrote: »
    The question was which do you fix first, not do you fix both or just one...
    And my response is both, did I stutter?
    If you have 2 monitors this is feasible.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I was a little confused when you said "Repeat for next client." Either way I think your missing the point of what I'm trying to get at... I'm not talking about some simple outage that takes a minute or two to fix, I'm talking about a catastrophic outage. There is a good story "All Systems Down" about a hospital having an outage for several days. If your working two jobs at the same time, your only devoting half your attention to each of them. If there is ever a scenario where both companies need your undivided attention, your going to get overwhelmed real fast.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The key would be to make sure you have simple responsibilities and when accepting remote work, that it cannot become overwhelming as to prevent you from obtaining that 2nd remote job.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And my response is both, did I stutter?
    If you have 2 monitors this is feasible.

Well, you sure are a gem to work with I bet icon_rolleyes.gif

You must have a pretty easy career if everything is that simple of a fix.
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    J_86 wrote: »
    Well, you sure are a gem to work with I bet icon_rolleyes.gif

You must have a pretty easy career if everything is that simple of a fix.

I was going to say the same, oh if everything was as easy as "Hopping on the firewall and fixing it". Sounds like a level 1 helpdesk call to me, not a major network outage....

Which is funny he was rude about which to fix first, last I checked you would have to start with one or the other, as it is physically impossible to fix both things at the exact same time, even if you stop for 2 seconds and move to the other, you are still leaving one unfixed. That is, unless you have 2 brains, 2 sets of hands, and 2 completely separate computers where you could work at the exact same time on an issue for 2 separate people. If you do have these things, then you should be in the circus, not IT.

OP, the only way I would see this possible, is if it isn't higher level positions where you are expected to be part of an on-call rotation, and you aren't "Critical" to the operation or you aren't in the escalation path at some point during a major outage. If it was a set number of hours that didn't overlap, you weren't expected to participate on-call, and were guaranteed to get off at a specific time each day and you were ok with not having a lot of free time. Then it might work.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Easy, you fix both. Hop on firewall, determine if issue is with network or ISP. If ISP, call and create a ticket/ and enable the failover if you have one. Repeat for next client.

Mistakes do happen, you are logged in to a device in company A and a device in Company B at the same time, and you reboot the wrong device ... This will be really Bad for you.