Options

Confused with the registration of SANS's Self Study

thsecmaniacthsecmaniac Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I a newbie for getting the SANS certificate. I would like to get GSEC certificate but I cannot afford to pay $5,7000 for one course.
So, I decide to take Self Study that let me pay less than $700 but I'm confused when I go to the page of Self-Study registration. I'm not sure that I have to check only the "GSEC Certification Attempt" option like this:

or I have to check both "SEC401 Security Essentials Bootcamp Style" option and the "GSEC Certification Attempt" option like this:

Comments

• Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The 600 dollars is the add discounted price of the exam after purchasing the course. Ordering the books for self study would also cost the same amount. If you would want to go for the exam alone, look for challenge option. That would allow you to purchase the exam (with 2 free practice test) without any books.
  • Options
    I want to order the books and other materials too. Where do I have to select on that page?
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can easily google up this (and learning to use google is a very important aspect to be independent)

https://www.sans.org/selfstudy/courses/all

Self study courses cost the same price as live event.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OP, SANS is basically pay-to-play. The $659 is the "discounted" price you pay for the cert after taking one of the very expensive courses. Pricing details are here. If you do not take the class, the cost for your exam will be $1,149. That buys you an attempt at the exam and two practice tests. NO books included. You would have to find your own sources. This is no big deal as many here have done it this way. If you want the books you have to pay for the course in any of its delivery formats: Live, OnDemand, etc.

The absolute lowest cost option to obtain a GIAC cert is through the Work Study Program. You pay $900 and get to work one of the SANS events, assisting with setup, running the event, and tear down. For that price you get to sit the class, get all the books, get your 2 practice exams, one attempt at the cert, and access to the OnDemand class for 3-4 months after the class. Way over $6,000 worth of stuff. I've done this program 4 times and recommend it to all those who can spare a week. I've paid for it out of pocket only once as my employers have been amazed such a program exists that brings down the cost so dramatically. It's very competitive getting in and being accepted as tons of people apply. Absolutely worth the effort.
  • Options
    Thanks for you comment. I already read a detail for this program. I have a question. For answering attendee's questions, Which type of question do I have to answer? Just room information or including technical questions of each course?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One thing to note about work study is that you may not even get assigned your top choice in classes. For example when I filled out my app for SANS 2016 I had to rank top 15 out of the 46ish classes available before it let me hit submit.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    No, technical issues are the responsibility of the instructor and/or SANS personnel. In one of my events I got ambushed by 3 people who needed help in the form of Windows licenses, ISOs, or some other thing they were supposed to bring to the course but didn't. That's not what we are there for. I referred them to the instructor for guidance. See this document for details on tasks: https://www.sans.org/media/security-training/volguidelines.pdf
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen the books on Ebay before, your not suppose to sell them, but people do. There a 2008 set listed now for $350. The problem with buying used books is they are out of date, the course material (and the certification test) is being updated all the time.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.