ICND2 in a few days....

john_mirandajohn_miranda Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello IT people,

Don't really post a lot but considering how awesome people are in these forums are I could really use some advice from you guys.

So I'm about to take my ICND2 exam this Saturday and I was wondering if there are any topics I should really be aware of. Someone who might have taken it recently. I been trying to put the same amount of time and focus into each topic (according to the Cisco exam objectives) but I don't want this to be like ICND1 where I was stressed out about IPv6 questions and spent a lot time of it but on the exam I only got one question regarding the topic.

For example, if I were to give advice on ICND1 (CCENT) I would say really know your switching, packet flow, device security, and sub-netting.

Thank you for the help!

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Hello IT people,

Don't really post a lot but considering how awesome people are in these forums are I could really use some advice from you guys.

So I'm about to take my ICND2 exam this Saturday and I was wondering if there are any topics I should really be aware of. Someone who might have taken it recently. I been trying to put the same amount of time and focus into each topic (according to the Cisco exam objectives) but I don't want this to be like ICND1 where I was stressed out about IPv6 questions and spent a lot time of it but on the exam I only got one question regarding the topic.

For example, if I were to give advice on ICND1 (CCENT) I would say really know your switching, packet flow, device security, and sub-netting.

Thank you for the help!

really really know STP and Frame Relay, if you think you've got a handle on them, make a lab in packet tracer and really hone your skills. Make sure you understand what every show commands says like:

show protocols
    show ip ospf interface
    show ip ospf database
    show ip ospf neighbors
    show etherchannel summary
    show etherchannel detail
    show spanning-tree
    show spanning-tree detail
    show ip interface brief
    show trunks
    show vlans
    show cdp negihbors
    show cdp neighbors detail
    show frame-relay pvc
    show frame-relay lmi
    show frame-relay map (if you using maps or have a FR switch)
    show ip route
    show ip eigrp interfaces
    show ip eigrp neighbors
    show ip eigrp topology
    show access-lists
    show ip nat translations
    show controllers
    show version
    show flash
    show arp

as a rule of thumb, I use show running-config as a last resort.

If you know those show commands like the back of your hand like I've done over the past month, and I mean really understand what they do, then troubleshooting issues will be way easier. It helps to make labs, and labs, then labs upon labs in Packet Tracer, me I do physical hardware too, you really need to understand how all of the features flow and how they work.

The mindset that you just want to pass needs to be removed from your skull, you'll only pass after you fully understand the concepts. Took me a while to fully understand this myself.
  • SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looking forward to hearing how you did. I am down to the final few weeks or month of study, started the practice exams and still watch videos later in the day and will do more labs.
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember lots of STP, routing protocols and frame relay. I've actually got my 2nd attempt schedule for early December. I would also have troubleshooting down as well!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • john_mirandajohn_miranda Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the advice and feedback! :D

I will definitely make sure I know those technologies, I'll reply back on this thread if I pass or not. For now back to lab-ing!
  • TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    as a rule of thumb, I use show running-config as a last resort.

I absolutely agree. I treat the show configuration commands much the same way I treat the static routing commands, I know how to use them but I make a point of not using them. Apparently at the IE level, unless explicitly asked to create a static route, the use of static routes will result in failing. Don't know if I'm going to that level or not, but either way, as static routes are the easy way there's no reason to use them as there's nothing to learn.

Heck, if anything, don't even go into privileged exec until the commands don't work at user exec. A lot of these commands will work at user exec, and since some of the questions can involve being denied privileged exec, being able to make it work without permissions is useful. On top of that it might be a good intro for security, to get a feeling for what dangers exist even at user exec and what kinds of changes one might want to make when implementing security.
  • john_mirandajohn_miranda Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TWX wrote: »
    I absolutely agree. I treat the show configuration commands much the same way I treat the static routing commands, I know how to use them but I make a point of not using them. Apparently at the IE level, unless explicitly asked to create a static route, the use of static routes will result in failing. Don't know if I'm going to that level or not, but either way, as static routes are the easy way there's no reason to use them as there's nothing to learn.

Heck, if anything, don't even go into privileged exec until the commands don't work at user exec. A lot of these commands will work at user exec, and since some of the questions can involve being denied privileged exec, being able to make it work without permissions is useful. On top of that it might be a good intro for security, to get a feeling for what dangers exist even at user exec and what kinds of changes one might want to make when implementing security.

Didn't really think about it that way. That actually makes sense in knowing every command on a router or switch and it also applies in real world applications. Although at work I have full admin access to all switches/firewalls/routers icon_cool.gif

But I agree, it makes you skip over details when you can just jump levels.