Microsoft Second Shot

joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone can answer a question I have about the Microsoft Second Shot...

The terms and conditions say that you must schedule your retake before 12th January, does this also mean you have to sit your retake before this date? It doesn't actually make it clear whether or not you must actually sit the retake before this date.

So for example:
Can I take my initial exam in December, then if I fail, schedule my resit to take in February/March?

Hope this makes sense, if it doesn't please let me know!

Thanks

Comments

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe it's just to schedule and not sit.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    I believe it's just to schedule and not sit.

I hope that's the case, I am looking to take the first exam of MCSE messaging but am not too sure I will pass. But if I can sit it and then retake a few months later I might just go for it and then if I do fail I can just take advantage of the free retake.
    Waiting for confirmation from Microsoft they don't seem to want to reply.
  • BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    According to the terms and conditions, you have to take the second shot exam within 30 days of the failed attempt.
    According to the terms and conditions, you have to take the second shot exam within 30 days of the failed attempt.

That is where my confusion is, it doesn't actually anything about when you can TAKE it, only when you need to SCHEDULE it...
    "You have 30 days from the date of the failed exam to schedule a retake"
  • vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took it as you needed to TAKE the 2nd shot within 30 days so that's what I did...to be on the safe side. I could be mistaken but I would rather not forfeit the 2nd shot.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well for me i failed on the 19th , so to me it meant i would take the 2nd shot the following month on the 19th or sooner.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    joeswfc wrote: »
    That is where my confusion is, it doesn't actually anything about when you can TAKE it, only when you need to SCHEDULE it...
    "You have 30 days from the date of the failed exam to schedule a retake"

I agree, the wording isn't very clear. I noticed on the MS exam page a little green "live chat" button on the right hand side. Maybe you could see if they'll give you a definitive answer.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722

Actually, and I checked this, it just means that you have to schedule the exam within 30 days, but can take the exam later if you wish. So, if I fail the exam on the 1st, I could log on and reschedule 4 weeks later to sit the exam on the 15th of the following month.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    This has been confirmed by Microsoft:

"In your case if you fail the exam on December 15, 2015. You have until January 12, 2016 to schedule your retake but you must retake the exam on or before January 15,2015 which is 30days after you fail the exam."

So you have 30 days to TAKE the second shot
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    joeswfc wrote: »
    This has been confirmed by Microsoft:

"In your case if you fail the exam on December 15, 2015. You have until January 12, 2016 to schedule your retake but you must retake the exam on or before January 15,2015 which is 30days after you fail the exam."

So you have 30 days to TAKE the second shot

Yeah, this is something that bit me in the past. It was introduced with the last Second Shot opportunity earlier in 2015. The Second Shot period had plenty of time left, but I had not scheduled my retake within the 30 days and missed out. Microsoft may have been willing to let it slide, but I didn't attempt it. Hopefully they have a new opportunity soon. With the increases in exam prices lately, it would be good to just have it as a standing offer. They also tightened up their "Student" discount and you have to have a verification just to sign up now (I think valid email or something). My email at the Uni just expired, but I am getting ready to sign up for a new course soon, so it will become active again.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to be absolutely sure, if I fail my test on January 11th, I have 30 days from then to book AND re-write the test, correct? Feb 10. Not 30 days to book, and then write sometime after that
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
    Piers wrote: »
    Just to be absolutely sure, if I fail my test on January 11th, I have 30 days from then to book AND re-write the test, correct? Feb 10. Not 30 days to book, and then write sometime after that

Looking at the example they gave me, you have to make sure you have booked the retake by 12th of January (this is when the offer ends) but you can actually sit the retake up to 30 days after.

So I have booked my first shot for the 12th of January. If I fail, I then have the rest of the day to ensure I book my retake, but I can schedule it for the 11th