70-412 Failed - Tips?

Ataxic8338Ataxic8338 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Been studying the MCSA for most of this year and passed the 410 and 411 in the first blast. This one was slightly different. Anyone else on this exam got any tips, without breaking the NDA of course?

Some questions on my exam with content that was not even covered in CBT, PluralSight or Exam books.

Thanks

Comments

• seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the 412 this morning and holy moly. I didn't get to lab as much as I would of liked to before taking it but I came out of it with a 360. I passed the 410 and 411 and labbing is truly the key. I used CBT Nuggets and the Panek book but I went in knowing I wouldnt do very well since I didnt get to lab and get comfortable with the interface and play with it enough to break it ot have to search for the answer on setting the roles and features up then using them.

When do you plan on taking it again?
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
  • Ataxic8338Ataxic8338 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man! Thanks for posting.

I am re-taking this week on Friday. I have a lab setup with NLB, Cluster Nodes, AD, ADFS, ADCS, ADRMS and File services like iSCI and DAC etc ..... Its a definite if you want to pass this exam. I failed with 636 points, so hopefully with this weeks revision and practice exams I can nail it.

Alot of the content in this exam I have never deployed and alot of it I probably never will. The most useful aspects though will be iSCI, ADCS, AD Sites stuff and Advanced network DNS/DHCP.

I started using alot more Powershell since I started the MCSA. I find the only way to make it go in, and stay in, is to keep using the commands.
  • KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    I have this scheduled for 19th December. I'm using CBT Nuggets and MS Training Guide for labs.
    Also have MeasureUp exam questions. Not confident of passing but will use the 2nd shot chance in January if I fail.
    Did you get a lot of Powershell questions?
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ataxic8338 wrote: »
    Hey man! Thanks for posting.

I am re-taking this week on Friday. I have a lab setup with NLB, Cluster Nodes, AD, ADFS, ADCS, ADRMS and File services like iSCI and DAC etc ..... Its a definite if you want to pass this exam. I failed with 636 points, so hopefully with this weeks revision and practice exams I can nail it.

Alot of the content in this exam I have never deployed and alot of it I probably never will. The most useful aspects though will be iSCI, ADCS, AD Sites stuff and Advanced network DNS/DHCP.

I started using alot more Powershell since I started the MCSA. I find the only way to make it go in, and stay in, is to keep using the commands.

What's the time limit they give you for the re-take? I'm hoping that I can pass on the first try, but if I have to re-take it I hope to get some extra review time in.
    Krusader wrote: »
    I have this scheduled for 19th December. I'm using CBT Nuggets and MS Training Guide for labs.
    Also have MeasureUp exam questions. Not confident of passing but will use the 2nd shot chance in January if I fail.
    Did you get a lot of Powershell questions?

I'm still a little further behind than I would like for the exam being in January (I feel like I'm comfortable with the install and upgrade parts, but all of the test on the practice exams keep referencing things I haven't read about yet...so I think I might just start moving forward). So far, I've realized Powershell is going to probably be the biggest beast of all.
  • KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    What's the time limit they give you for the re-take? I'm hoping that I can pass on the first try, but if I have to re-take it I hope to get some extra review time in.

You have 1 month to retake the exam after failing.
    Hopefully the 2nd shot will start again in January
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Krusader wrote: »
    You have 1 month to retake the exam after failing.
    Hopefully the 2nd shot will start again in January

That's at least a decent amount of time. I'm going into the one in January hoping to pass on the first try, then I guess I'll push it back a month if need be. I spent the past few weeks stressing out over my low scores on the installation and setup part of the practice tests, but I'm realizing that I think the tests are pulling stuff from later parts of the book that would technically be used in initial setup.

Like, I haven't covered networking Server 2012 yet, so load balancing and failover of ports isn't something I've read up on, but some of the install questions are about that, since you would obviously want to do it while setting up. I think I'm just going to plow ahead and keep going.

Thanks!