Options

Intermediate Exams

jarnonejarnone Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just curious why the majority of the posts here are on Foundation and not much on the other levels.
Is no one doing them or is there another website for that?

Comments

• Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I think there are 2 reasons:

1 - most people only need Foundation for their work unless they want to move more into more depth in the service sphere, so it does not benefit them to do more.

2 - it is very expensive to do the exams as you need to prove you have completed training by a certified provider to even sit the exam, and these courses are not cheap. There are ways around this if you know where to look of course, but the courses are lengthy, not lightweight and with a 70% passmark and largish pricetag (about double that of Microsoft) then it isn't something to take lightly.

That's my thoughts on the reasons anyway.
    thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    jarnonejarnone Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback
    J.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I am thinking of, quite seriously, of doing one or more of the intermediate exams. I've bought the official books, at about $50 each. I've found online accredited course for about $50 per course. And I think the exams are running at about $250 each.

So, it is comparable to most of the other certifications in terms of cost.

Answering your first question, ITIL Foundation is far more popular as it is required for lots of general IT staff eg help desk, network and systems administrators etc. A board like this is going to attract lots of those people, since it has lots of the other certifications that those people are interested in.

Intermediate exams are less required. They tend to be for people in more managerial or governance capacities. There are fewer of these people generally, and they are probably less likely to be pursuing "technical" certifications since one of the joys of management is that you can get away without knowing details. :)

You probably also aware that ITIL isn't the only choice in this area, as Exin has a whole series of parallel ISO 20000 certifications. There's also ISACA and COBIT, and in security the ISO 27000 series and various national frameworks like the NIST 800 series.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I am thinking of, quite seriously, of doing one or more of the intermediate exams. I've bought the official books, at about $50 each. I've found online accredited course for about $50 per course. And I think the exams are running at about $250 each.

So, it is comparable to most of the other certifications in terms of cost.

Answering your first question, ITIL Foundation is far more popular as it is required for lots of general IT staff eg help desk, network and systems administrators etc. A board like this is going to attract lots of those people, since it has lots of the other certifications that those people are interested in.

Intermediate exams are less required. They tend to be for people in more managerial or governance capacities. There are fewer of these people generally, and they are probably less likely to be pursuing "technical" certifications since one of the joys of management is that you can get away without knowing details. :)

You probably also aware that ITIL isn't the only choice in this area, as Exin has a whole series of parallel ISO 20000 certifications. There's also ISACA and COBIT, and in security the ISO 27000 series and various national frameworks like the NIST 800 series.

If this helps you any. I believe GoGoTraining is accredited.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gogotraining-178-new-york?utm_campaign=UserReferral_mih&utm_source=anonymous
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "ITIL" (foundations) is enough to get recognized, just those initials. Just like "CISSP" is enough to get recognized by HR, recruiters, resume scanners, doesn't have to be (CISSP-ISSAP) know what I mean? That's the way I see it.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    jtkuhlmanjtkuhlman Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GOGOTraining is accredited and I bought a package (that included 120/IEC20000) for a decent price. I have used them successfully to pass the SS, ST, OSA, and SO intermediate exams.
  • Options
    scottishkiwiscottishkiwi Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed my ITIL Foundations yesterday and considering doing some intermediate courses also. I managed fine with the Foundations using just the CBT Nuggets videos and common sense.. how did the intermediate study and exams compare to the Foundations?

I believe what UncleB said is true though, the costs vs requirements for most people means they don't bother with going past Foundations. I am out of work at present and away from home so have lots of time to study so only reason why I am thinking of doing these (after a few less boring tech exams first!).
    2016 : CompTIA Network+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Storage+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Security+ (Feb) [X], Cisco ICND1 (Feb) [X], MS 70-410 (Mar) [X], Cisco ICND2 (Mar) [X], Juniper JNCIA-Junos (Apr) [ ], Amazon AWS CSA (Apr) [ ], VMWare VCP-DCV (May) [X], MS 70-409 (May) [X], MS 70-411+412 (May) [ ]
    2015 : ITIL Foundations (Dec) [X], PRINCE2 Foundation (Dec) [X], CompTIA A+ (Dec) [X]