4th Fail Attempted

Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
crash.gif Well the more i take this exam the more i don't want to try again. The feeling I get just really sucks, and makes me think am i ever going to pass this exam. I believe that my labbing is sucking so much. At work i don't work on servers at all. The lab work some times in these books help but need more labbing done. I'm not to upset since I didn't have to pay for it but i'm getting close the 5th try.

I'm going to wait until 1st/2nd week of Feb to take the exam. I'm still going to continue studying and stuff. I have a new current book i started to read so I'm going to finish that one. This time around I felt much better taking the exam. I got a higher score on the GPO section. I had some powershell questions but no IP6 questions.

I guess all i could do is study, read more , and pray.

Thank you all for the advice, and some links to help me. My friend bought me 70-410 install and Configure "MS Official Academic Course book" She didn't know i was taking the exam today. Said to try it out since it's a lab course and I could follow it. I will have to try that and continue reading.

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
2021 - *Security+*
2022 - * Pen Tester*

Comments

• knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Unlucky mate. At least you're not put off by the fail, what was your score if you don't mind me asking?
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man, that's not funny already.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My score was 544. I know it's low but to me it's a better score then my other stores I got.

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah shucks! I can imagine this being a difficult test if you don't use it every day. Have you used the official training guide?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    techfiend wrote: »
    Ah shucks! I can imagine this being a difficult test if you don't use it every day. Have you used the official training guide?

The official training guide? Which one are you talking about ?

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Don Poulton book helped my immensely with the 410 so if you don't have that one I too advise getting it.
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
    The books I have current are below.

Books -
    Don Poulton Cert Guide

Mastering Windows Server 2012r2 ebook/book

Installing and configuring windows server 2012r2 training Guide "Mitch Tulloch"

Installing and Configuring WS2012 - Exam Ref 70-410

Just received this one from a friend.

Installing and Configuring
    Windows Server
    2012 R2
    Exam 70-410

Microsoft Official Academic Course (2014-06-16). 70-410 Installing & Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 Lab Manual (Microsoft Official Academic Course Series) (Page i). Wiley. Kindle Edition.

You would think that with these books I would of passed the exam already.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Are you studying consistently or studying, taking a break days at a time then moving on the next section? How much time would you say you're spending between labbing and reading? Have you done any video training? There are some options on YouTube that might help.
    @Louie1277

544 isn't bad. The thing is you're sticking to it and trying to knock it out of the park! Keep up the work and you'll feel great when you finally see that PASS at the end of the exam

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I connect to servers remotely at work, but I don't complete any major work on them, setup users, GPO ect...

I have been studying for this exam as well.
    This isn't an easy exam.
    Here is what I have been using:

MS Exam Reference
    Sybex 70-410 Book
    Pluralsight videos for 70-410
    ItPro TV
    Measureup virtual labs

When I take the measure up practice tests I only get 20% right. I'm still labbing myself.

What are you using to study for the exam?
    when looking at the other exams attempts for the 70-410, does your score improve with each test?
    Are you using any practice tests?

My recommendations:
    1) Get a practice test Measure,boson, ect
    Take the first round of questions in certification mode.
    a. See what areas you're weak in.
    b. complete labs for these areas.
    c. take the test again. Did your score improve?
    d. see what questions you got wrong. Take the practice test with the minimal practice questions until you get close to 80%.
    e. review the questions you got wrong and take the test again and shoot for 80%
    F take the practice test with all questions 150 or so depending on the vendor. Shoot for 80% or higher score.

I recommend the following for labs:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/networkedminds/playlists

ITprotv has virtual labs and video courses
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing I don't like about these exams is that it feels like you're forced to do things the Microsoft way.
    There are so many resources I have used that reference "in the real world" we do it this way.
    Sometimes I feel like we are forced to be a cheerleader for the way Microsoft would like us to use their products.
    Also, I think these exams limit the candidates , because it's more about how Microsoft wants things done, and less about how to be a Network administrator.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think you're being forced to do anything. These exams are 100% optional.
  • actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One thing I don't like about these exams is that it feels like you're forced to do things the Microsoft way.
    There are so many resources I have used that reference "in the real world" we do it this way.
    Sometimes I feel like we are forced to be a cheerleader for the way Microsoft would like us to use their products.
    Also, I think these exams limit the candidates , because it's more about how Microsoft wants things done, and less about how to be a Network administrator.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

I imagine that's to be expected for a Microsoft exam. They'll have their own specific products and the way they want things done. I think employers will obviously know that you won't be doing everything 100% the the Microsoft 'Best Practices' and everything, but at the same time, certifications help them see that at the very least, they'll just be training you on the way they do things, and not the foundation items, like how configuring DNS works. Then they can just say "Here's how our DNS is setup, make the changes" rather than "Here's how DNS works, here's the Server 2012 interface, and here's what we want".

For Louie1277, do they show you specifically where your scores were lower? I have the test in January, and I'm curious if it's going to show me specifically where I struggled, so I can say "Oh, well I guess I need to work on Group Policy more".
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. I failed one of the O365 exams two times and I took a break and work on another vendor cert before attempting again and I passed on the third try.

A break can be good to get a refresher. You're very persistent and that is commendable.

Just be aware that if you fail the exam five times in one year you will have to wait an entire year before you are allowed to attempt again.
  • culpanoculpano Member Posts: 163
    The Official Microsoft MOAC guide book/lab books are superb and you can get them second hand on eBay. I really would recommend these.
    The green exam ref books are really dry in my opinion and not really easy to learn from. I find best way of learning is from CBT Nuggets and Pluralsight. Watch the videos carefully and do some labbing after the video and then watch the video again. Good luck and don't give up....
    seth479 wrote: »
    Are you studying consistently or studying, taking a break days at a time then moving on the next section? How much time would you say you're spending between labbing and reading? Have you done any video training? There are some options on YouTube that might help.

I study every day at least 1/2 hrs depends. But some days i skip. Now i read more then labbing because the books some times doesn't have enough examples or "Follow ME" sections. I would say I have less lab work then reading.

@Kore

Yes that's what I'm afraid of. But I'm going to wait until next year to take it again. That would reset on how many times I have taken it.

@culpano
    I will have to see which book you are talking about.

I'm going to take a like 2 days off from reading then starting over again. I will pass this dam exam NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • balcobullsbalcobulls Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would hate to play you in anything that focuses on endurance.....I would get my butt kicked
    Are you someone who learns better by reading or actually using the material?

I saw on another thread I think where your boss handled most of the server stuff and you were trying to do it on a laptop?. Have you thought about seeing if your employer has some old systems you could install an eval version on and truly dive in to it?
    I learn better doing stuff.. creating and breaking stuff is how i learn. like i said I plan on practicing on my laptop more.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure what resources you are using, all of these are listed in this forum, but I will do you the favor and repost them. the official Microsoft books are useless.

Book:
    Mastering Server 2012 R2

Resources:
    Training Guide MCSA: Server 2012 R2 | Andy Syrewicze
    Free Guide Friday! Updated
    FREE Technical eBook for IT Pros on Windows Server 2012 and Private Cloud - KeithMayer.com - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    90 Days to MCSA
    https://benofthecloud.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/dual-mcse-certification-in-90-days/

Microsoft MVA:
    https://mva.microsoft.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?index=2&prod=Windows%20Server&prodv=Windows%20Server%202012%20R2&topic=Windows%20Server&jobf=IT%20Professional

Microsoft Technet:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh801901.aspx

Labing:
    Setup a virtual environment in the hyper-visor of your choice or Azure/AWS and practice the topics that the test covers.
  • mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From some online friends who've taken the 410 they recommend studying for 411 as well before taking the 410. Apparently there's quite a bit of material on the test that is covered by studying the 411 material. Doesn't make any sense, but as they have their MCSA's and I don't I can't really dispute it.
    mguernsey wrote: »
    From some online friends who've taken the 410 they recommend studying for 411 as well before taking the 410. Apparently there's quite a bit of material on the test that is covered by studying the 411 material. Doesn't make any sense, but as they have their MCSA's and I don't I can't really dispute it.

This is true. Domain CONTROLLER Cloning is one thing I would make sure you know.

knownhero wrote: »
    This is true. Domain Cloning is one thing I would make sure you know.

Well, that's going to be fun if I have to add even more stuff to my study list.

I've been frustrated enough while trying to take my practice exams, because it's hard to limit the knowledge to just the stuff I've worked on.

I noticed things like NIC teaming and DHCP showing up in my testing for "Configuring Servers" since it's definitely something you would do to configure a new one. Unfortunately, I've only read/watched the first half of the 410 videos, so that's all stuff I have yet to hit yet.
    I understand some of it but the one that get me is the GPO, permission and AD section of the exam. I plan on studying this for the next month then trying it again. it's taken me a long time taking these exam it's time i pass. UGH!!! ...

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I understand some of it but the one that get me is the GPO, permission and AD section of the exam. I plan on studying this for the next month then trying it again. it's taken me a long time taking these exam it's time i pass. UGH!!! ...

What I've been doing recently is trying to make little scenarios for a hypothetical company to force myself to create certain scenarios.

So, I would give myself something like "This company has 3 departments, they all need an individual folder for their department, and each user gets a folder inside of that. The owner can see every folder, but the 2 other departments can only see their own folders".

Just things to force me to think outside of the box and experiment with permissions.
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    What I've been doing recently is trying to make little scenarios for a hypothetical company to force myself to create certain scenarios.

So, I would give myself something like "This company has 3 departments, they all need an individual folder for their department, and each user gets a folder inside of that. The owner can see every folder, but the 2 other departments can only see their own folders".

Just things to force me to think outside of the box and experiment with permissions.

good work !
    I remember that setting for the own folder... lol... I will try that and follow some lab work that I have ... we will see how that goes.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    ed_003 wrote: »
    good work !

It definitely makes it a bit easier to think of how to apply things in a real world sense.

Instead of just thinking of things in abstracts, you have to think of how you would group and grant access based on the needs of a user. It's going to help for work too. The main IT guy here literally has one shared folder...and it's open to everyone in the company, which means anyone can add and delete things as they see fit.

As anyone can imagine, it's currently a massive disaster with files and folders scattered all over, with no rhyme or reason to where they go.

I counted 15 copies of a shortcut to one folder yesterday, and someone even managed to make a shortcut link to their own desktop...so that's neat.
    It definitely makes it a bit easier to think of how to apply things in a real world sense.

Instead of just thinking of things in abstracts, you have to think of how you would group and grant access based on the needs of a user. It's going to help for work too. The main IT guy here literally has one shared folder...and it's open to everyone in the company, which means anyone can add and delete things as they see fit.

As anyone can imagine, it's currently a massive disaster with files and folders scattered all over, with no rhyme or reason to where they go.

I counted 15 copies of a shortcut to one folder yesterday, and someone even managed to make a shortcut link to their own desktop...so that's neat.

Ya if that was me i would of clean that up a long time ago. have everyone have there own folder, dept folder, and a share folder. Put size quote on the share folder and stuff. But everyone runs there network a different way. Doing real world thing and lab for the exam are so different... Started reading and labbing last night once again. have about 2 months to study before the exam.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*