Passed Security+ - No IT Experience

dyrwidyrwi Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone

I just passed Sec+ with a score of 867.

I have no other experience within the IT field. I do a little programming in Java at home, it helped with understanding key points like Buffer Overflow, Code Review, SQL, etc... Aside from that though, everything was really new to me or I simply did not understand the topic well enough (I knew about Spyware, Trojans, but not enough to explain what they really did).

My main book was by Darril Gibson. His study guide was amazing.
I also studied the application with that book. This was an invaluable tool as well. Really helped me understand the content.
My study method for this test was as follows:
  1. Read Gibson's book. Make notes of everything, even if I thought I understood it well.
  2. Do the Android application. Read the flashcards until I can answer without multiple choice.
  3. Do question after question and test after test. I just repeated this process until I knew my material. I did so many questions. Any question I got wrong, I added it to my notes about that technology, protocol, etc... This was immensely helpful in getting pass this test.
  4. The most important point of all, read the objectives list and explain each point aloud (thanks to TallDude7). If I couldn't explain it, I read the chapter in Gibson's book or used Google for an answer. I was hard on myself with this, I didn't give an easy answer and move on. This took a lot of time. Even after I studied all the content (30 hours+), I spent 10 hours alone doing this ensuring I understood everything.
I did not purchase any practice labs. I looked up youtube videos for practice labs and saw what they did (Look again at Gibson's videos on his site, Professor Messer, etc... During the test, doing this helped a lot. If you know the material the lab is easy.

Hope this helps some people.

Comments

• lumenitelumenite Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass. I am in the same boat. No experience, Just completed my first semester for my masters in IT in Georgia. looking for internships now. just received my book in the mail today. How long did it take you to prepare for the exam ?
  • dyrwidyrwi Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lumenite wrote: »
    Congrats on the Pass. I am in the same boat. No experience, Just completed my first semester for my masters in IT in Georgia. looking for internships now. just received my book in the mail today. How long did it take you to prepare for the exam ?

Thanks.

Each chapter in Gibson's book took between 2 - 3.5 hours for me to cover (writing notes, understanding what they did and also doing the practice questions).

I started to prep for the exam in August I believe, I read the first 9 chapters. I then didn't study it all all again until mid-late November when I went 3 - 4 hours a day doing it all (Finishing the book and reviewing). I had my exam on the 11th Of December. Four days before the exam, I was doing 8 hours a day.

I believe in total I spent around 60+ hours or so preparing for this exam.

Other people's mileage may vary, but I had no experience so I really needed that extra time.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • lexlexlexlexlexlexlexlexlexlex Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ac1d12a1nac1d12a1n Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Way to go!
    Feel free to add me on LinkedIn! https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshprew
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    That is quite a feat, congratulations on your pass and score!
  • TerabyteTerabyte Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, i am too taking the exam, THIS SATURDAY icon_cheers.gif. I have been using the same book and his app and I am feeling pretty good about it, guess we will have to see Saturday though.
  • lumenitelumenite Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dyrwi wrote: »
    Thanks.

Each chapter in Gibson's book took between 2 - 3.5 hours for me to cover (writing notes, understanding what they did and also doing the practice questions).

I started to prep for the exam in August I believe, I read the first 9 chapters. I then didn't study it all all again until mid-late November when I went 3 - 4 hours a day doing it all (Finishing the book and reviewing). I had my exam on the 11th Of December. Four days before the exam, I was doing 8 hours a day.

I believe in total I spent around 60+ hours or so preparing for this exam.

Other people's mileage may vary, but I had no experience so I really needed that extra time.

Alright thanks for the Information.
    If you feel confident answering the app questions and the book questions I am sure you will do fine. Good luck.
  • SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    Does the app contain the same questions offered on his website?
    SeekBytes wrote: »
    Does the app contain the same questions offered on his website?

I believe it contains some of them, although I cannot confirm if they are the exact same as the ones on his website. The type of questions within the book and app are similar and some are the same. What percentage, I really do not know.