Suggestions for LX0-104 Exam (passed 103, failed 104)

MpstylerMpstyler Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. Just went through a two week Linux+ Bootcamp. We covered the 103 in the first week and then took the exam which was very easy and drew from all the quizzes and labs we used in class. Everyone passed with flying colors. No one got under a 700 on the exam.

The 104 we covered in the second week was a different beast altogether. Everyone failed with the exception of one person, who said thankfully they recognized almost every question from what they were seeing on the quizzes. We were all shocked with how different the material covered in class differed from what we were seeing on the exam. Personally, we feel it was half our teachers fault because she did not go over the necessary parts of the material, and half our fault because we didn't go through the book to study as thoroughly as we should have.

Anyway, I'm here because I'm wondering what is the best way to prep for the 104. Are there any lab's or additional supplemental material you folks would recommend? Has anyone tried LinuxAcademy.com? I have the "CompTIA Linux+ Powered by Linux Professional Institute Study Guide 3rd Edition" book by Christine Bresnahan and Richard Blum and am planning to go through that chapter by chapter over the holiday's. I'm using Fedora 14 with VirtualBox and it's working great. Man page's rock too. Learning SQL for the exam is a real pain in the ass, so any material on that helps too. Not sure why that's on there, but whatever.

Thanks for all the help.

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm using LinuxAcademy now and it's great! I'm glad that I can use multiple VMs to study from.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    So what bootcamp did you attend?
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    I didn't use the LinuxAcademy for the Linux+, but I wish I did.

I'm studying for the RHCSA exam, and am using LA. It's definitely worth the money.

If you go to linuxacademy.com/coders, you can get it for $20 a month instead of $30.

I am very impressed with the content and delivery.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • MpstylerMpstyler Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    So what bootcamp did you attend?

I went to a place called Infotec in Virginia Beach, VA. (Infotectraining.com) Because this area is predominantly military, the DoD sends a lot of military, contractors, etc. to update their certs. Consequently, they are one of the better bootcamps in the area because if people don't pass, the DoD will stop sending people there.

I've gone through the Network+ and Security+ bootcamp there too. For the most part, all of their classes have been very thorough and prepare you to take the exam. I have no formal IT experience so Infotec has been a godsend, all except the Linux-104 bootcamp. I definitely learned a lot, but not the "necessary" material needed to pass the exam. It was strange because the 103 class was so well put together, but the 104 was definitely a bust.

So LinuxAcademy is the best place to go? What's important for me is to have something accurate to the exam that I can use to test myself against, i.e. quizzes, practice tests. Labs are also a fun way to learn. In class we've been playing around in the command line and using man page's, so any extra lab's would be great.
  • whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mpstyler wrote: »
    I went to a place called Infotec in Virginia Beach, VA. (Infotectraining.com) Because this area is predominantly military, the DoD sends a lot of military, contractors, etc. to update their certs. Consequently, they are one of the better bootcamps in the area because if people don't pass, the DoD will stop sending people there.

I've gone through the Network+ and Security+ bootcamp there too. For the most part, all of their classes have been very thorough and prepare you to take the exam. I have no formal IT experience so Infotec has been a godsend, all except the Linux-104 bootcamp. I definitely learned a lot, but not the "necessary" material needed to pass the exam. It was strange because the 103 class was so well put together, but the 104 was definitely a bust.

So LinuxAcademy is the best place to go? What's important for me is to have something accurate to the exam that I can use to test myself against, i.e. quizzes, practice tests. Labs are also a fun way to learn. In class we've been playing around in the command line and using man page's, so any extra lab's would be great.

I am very familiar with InfoTec I actually stayed 600ft feet InfoTech in the Cosmopolitan Apartments in the VA Beach Town Center. You are 100% correct, a lot of military attends the training and they seem to advertise that with all the pics on the wall. I have been to a bootcamp or two in my time. You're correct that place and other talk about the high 90-99% pass rate. I will say from experience that when you take the Exams "sometimes' the exam questions seem prettttyyy similar to the practice test questions. It is nothing against bootcamps in general but in order to keep the $$$$$ coming in you have to make sure people pass from a business standpoint. If people are failing so does the finances. I think it's pros and cons to bootcamps in general. Like I said I stated around the corner from InfoTech on Columbus Street so I know it all to well. I personally think all the CompTia and a few Cisco bootcamps are overpriced, solely because you can read a book and pass those exams. But that's just my opinion
  • whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only have 4 posts. Unfortunately I can't edit the cluster of misspelled words I typed above and correct it. Well, life goes on.