CCNP 300-x exams, which is the recommended order and why?

jabokimjabokim Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Just about to begin studying for my CCNP routing and switching. It seems like most people recommend to take the exams in the order of Routing, Switching, and then Troubleshooting. Is this true and what is recommended? and if so why?

Just trying to figure out the best way to learn this and attack it :)

Thanks!

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I mainly work with ASA firewalls and switching issues at my job, but I am going ROUTE first, just because there is just so much material there. I plan to tackle ROUTE, I believe SWITCH may come a bit easier with my understanding of switching at my job, then I can review ROUTE once more before tackling the TSHOOT.

I have been told to go for SWITCH first by senior engineers at my work because it is more practical, and said it would be a confidence booster for the ROUTE exam, but I am planning to achieve a CCIE in R/S immediately after so going easy on myself isn't what I want to become accustomed to.

I could care less what monetary value the CCIE certs hold, if I am able to earn that number, the pride of that achievement couldn't have a price tag put on it :)
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The consensus is that SWITCH is easier. I personally went SWITCH then ROUTE. TSHOOT always last of course.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ROUTE and SWITCH probably doesn't matter. TSHOOT last would seem to be the best approach unless you are already familiar with it all.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really doesn't matter. I believe most people tend to choose ROUTE as their first to knock out as it generally is the most difficult for most people. Then they have somewhat of a downward slope of complexity and difficulty on what's to learn regarding SWITCH / TSHOOT. I chose this path as well. I had a lot to learn from ROUTE so I decided it was best to shape up an area I was lacking knowledge and experience in first. Now as I wrap up my studies for SWITCH I do too see areas where it is by no means a push over however does feel more like review.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work with alot of switching(university campus) and not alot of routing so I opted to go for SWITCH first. I want everything from ROUTE fresh in my mind when I take TSHOOT.

There's no right or wrong way but this was best for me.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a bit of an oddball. I took TSHOOT (642 Series) first, followed by ROUTE (642 Series), and finished up with SWITCH (300-115). I studied both and took the exams over 2 weeks (3 consecutive Saturdays). It doesn't matter which you do first, though TSHOOT is typically last since it covers material from both ROUTE and SWITCH.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    theodoxa wrote: »
    I'm a bit of an oddball. I took TSHOOT (642 Series) first, followed by ROUTE (642 Series), and finished up with SWITCH (300-115). I studied both and took the exams over 2 weeks (3 consecutive Saturdays). It doesn't matter which you do first, though TSHOOT is typically last since it covers material from both ROUTE and SWITCH.

How fast did you complete all 3 tests? If I read that right, you got your CCNP in under a month?
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    How fast did you complete all 3 tests? If I read that right, you got your CCNP in under a month?

It is difficult to put an exact number on the studying as I had been studying for ROUTE for a couple months back in 2013 before life got in the way and some of the time was on and off. 8 months total, though I believe only the last 3-4 months were full-on studying (more than looking at the OCG when I had some free time).

I studied both ROUTE and SWITCH before taking my first exam. So, I was able to take them all over only 2 weeks.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]