Options

Items to write down when you sit for CCENT

slatkinslatkin Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I have a question on the writing material you get for CCENT. I'm sure this varies from testing center, but you do you usually get blank writing material to use for the exam? If so, how long do you get to fill out before the exam starts?

I am starting to really get the hang of subnetting and have been using examples from subnetting.net all week, but I am using numbers I have written down as a guide.

So far this has worked for me:

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
/25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30 /31 /32
/17 /18 /19 /20 /21 /22 /23 /24

I am then writing out each CIDR notation, subnet and number of subnets like this:

/30 = 255.255.255.252 16384
/29 = 255.255.255.248 8192

down to

/16 = 255.255.0.0 0

Using this type of guide I am able to go thru a majority of the questions on subnetting.net and work on these examples every day. For Cisco exams is it ok to write out a guide like this and use it as a reference or do you need to have subnetting down to a science that you can do it all in your head?

I am going to start doing labs with packet tracer next week and hope to be ready for CCENT by the end of January. I've already watched Jeremy's videos from CBT Nuggets and read Todd Lammle's CCNA R&S study guide.

Any other tips you can share before sitting for the exam? I don't think I need another book to read as the videos and book seem to have covered each topic on the exam, now it just seems like I need to actually use the Cisco IOS commands and really have subnetting down.

Comments

• Options
    TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    write out number of subnets, hosts, and wildcard for every CIDR
    /30 x.x.x.252 64(subnets) 4(2)(hosts) 0.0.0.3(wildcard)
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2^8 2^7 2^6 2^5 2^4 2^3 2^2 2^1 2^0
    256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    0 128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255

CIDR: Divide by 8 to get bits needed.

ie. /28 = 8 * 8 * 8 or /24 + 4 bits

8 = 11111111 = 255

255.255.255.(256-2^4) = 255.255.255.240

16(2)hosts
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You should know subnetting well enough to not need to write down much. I believe most test centers don't want you writing stuff down until the exam starts but they will cover that when you show up.

If you want to write all of that down you can but again you should have a strong enough grasp on subnetting to not need it. Try practicing without it.
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Subnetting information, any information you may have been struggling with prior to the test, and well known port numbers. That would be my suggestion. Sometimes when you go in and **** the information onto a piece of paper or onto a whiteboard, it increases your confidence in the information. You just have to be careful to not spend a lot of time doing it.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    you can write down as much as you want to your hearts desire before starting the exam. I researched and there is no rule against it. The proctor isn't going to be standing behind you monitoring what you write down. I passed 2 Cisco exams at 2 different testing centers
  • Options
    talldude7: it's not that you can't - it's that you shouldn't need more than the basic binary theorem since you can just subtract/add from 24 after that.

if you get asked a subnet question during an interview, it's probably not a good idea to make a chart...
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    a job interview is an entirely different topic. the OP's concern was what to write on the dry erase pad during the exam
  • Options
    TallDude7 wrote: »
    a job interview is an entirely different topic. the OP's concern was what to write on the dry erase pad during the exam

Sure but why not just use the 'dry erase pad' in your head from the get-go if you can?! Saves the trouble/stress of making a (semi-complicated) chart...
  • Options
    slatkinslatkin Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well this is my first Cisco exam and if I can use a written sheet to help me pass an exam then it would be dumb to not take advantage of this.

I know after I get CCENT and work towards CCNA that subnetting will become much easier for me, I am just not at a point where I can rattle off answers from memory.

I am nowhere near ready to be applying for any networking jobs anytime soon but I also don't want to spend so much time perfecting my knowledge of a topic when it is perfectly acceptable to use resources for assistance for where I am at with my career.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    slatkin wrote: »
    I know after I get CCENT and work towards CCNA that subnetting will become much easier for me, I am just not at a point where I can rattle off answers from memory.
    You need to be very good at least with /24 (C) networks for the exam since other class subnets build off of that. Subnetting is crucial and you do not want it to slow you down. Be able to go from subnet mask to decimal, decimal to subnet mask....cidr to both and both to cidr. If you cannot do that pretty quickly per problem, you are not ready.
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    isnt it just easier to remember stuff like 2^9 ? then you sort of know that 254 is your middle point cidr /23 then either you you multiply by 2 or subtract by 2 to get your next subnet and host a viable ?

well maybe class C mask isn't best option as most likely for ccna they will look for class B,but given there will be multiples to choose from if you get your subent number about right-only trouble would be not to mess up with hosts vs subnets.

and if you know the number of of that cidr your only math would be to take away that subnet from 255 for wild card.

Guess stupid advise to give as yet to learn that stuff myself,since can only do properly class c for now,but id imagine if one can get over the hump of class B then its matter of how well you practice then numbers over and over.

My main worry is the questions more like which stubnet does say 172.168.96.100 belong to when your given multiple choices,or should to what subnet that ip would belong or be valid-given that the questions that seem to pop up most on chapter exams.

Anyway bit drunk,ignore if it doesn't make sense,and happy christmas to all this board,there is wealth of information here and helpfull people that pop in from time to time to guide us newbies icon_redface.gif