Options

Passed GSED.

wolf9081wolf9081 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well I have passed my third GIAC Certification in the past 4 months. I did not fair as well on this one as my others.I only scored a 82%, much of the material on the test I did not seem to be covered in the course. It may also just have been a more difficult test based on the fact you only need a 68% to pass.With that said, I found the course to be outstanding. Much deeper dive into areas that was glossed over in SEC 401.I have 1 more exam to take GCCC SEC 566. I already took the live course bag in Aug. Just need to study and knock out the exam.Then it will be NETWARS Continuous and then some much needed time off.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Damn 3rd cert in 4 months... your employer paying for these courses or did you win a lottery?

Gratz btw, impressive! (jealous here)
  • Options
    I am in the SANS Veterans Cyber Immersion Academy.
    It included 3 SANS courses and GIAC certifications as well as NETWARS Continious.
    I did SEC401 / GSEC, SEC 503 / GCIH, and SEC 501 / GCED.

Before I found out I was accepted the the SANS Academy, I did a SANS Work Study for GCCC. That is the one exam I still need to finish.
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on your pass! I commend you for being able to knock out that many GIAC certs in such a short period of time. I seem to always run up against my 120 day limit (I have my GCIA scheduled for 1/11/16 which is the last day). If you don't mind sharing I'd love to know your study routine and how many hours a day you study. Still trying to find what works best for me.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats on your pass! I commend you for being able to knock out that many GIAC certs in such a short period of time. I seem to always run up against my 120 day limit (I have my GCIA scheduled for 1/11/16 which is the last day). If you don't mind sharing I'd love to know your study routine and how many hours a day you study. Still trying to find what works best for me.

I took about a month to complete each SANS course and GIAC certification.
    Week 1: Four to five hours a day doing the course work and labs. During this time, I took almost no notes. I would only write down something if I did not understand it or if it was mentioned that it would be on the GIAC exam.
    Week 2: Take practice exam without any notes or books. Screen capture any missed questions or areas that were not understood.
    Spend four - five hours per day reading the books and drafting initial index. My format is Keyword, BK, Pg, Description, using a excel spreadsheet sorted alphabetically.
    Week 3: Take practice exam 2. Use index and notes. Capture any missed questions.
    Go through books again focusing on weak areas of practice exam and missed keywords.
    Week 4: Go through practice exams and add to index. Study weak areas.
    Take GIAC Certification.

In addition to the studying, anytime I was driving I would listen to the MP3s of the course material.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks wolf. Your study plan really sounds like a nice structured and efficient approach. That's what I NEED to be doing, but with having a family I find my study is 1-2 hours a day on a typical day, and 3-4 on a super focused day. I also don't have as good as structure to my studying as you do, so I'll try to at least structure it more like that even if the timeframe will be much longer for me.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework