Options

GSEC Challenge

siderealprexsiderealprex Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I am new here and have been lurking for the past few months. Has anyone ever challenged this exam? I understand that this course is such a broad course and in order to challenge it.. You would need to be In the IT field/security for atleast a few years. I have worked IT for atleast a couple years and have done info sec for around 4 yrs.

Questions:
*What books do you recommend or have used?
Sans does not sell their books unless you take their course but does not prohibit someone who took the course to sell/share their books/mp3 (or atleast that is what I have heard).

*Would anyone sell this book or know where to buy it?

Please let me know if this I am breaking any ethics or if it is illegal by doing this.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure of that. When I took the GSLC, I was told I could not sell the books - under risk of losing certification. Although I have seen them sold on online auction sites.

GSEC is matched up with the DoD 8570 knowledge/skill requirements for Information Assurance Technician Level II. So is CompTIA Security+.

I have great reviews for Darril Gibson's "Security+: Get Certified, Get Ahead" book as it is an easy read, he makes the concepts clear and the book is indexed so you can find stuff easy if you bring it into a SANS Exam (open book, open notes and materials).

Compare the GSEC course objectives with the table of contenst for the Security+ book and see if they match.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OP, you are misinformed. One of the first pages of every single book clearly states that whoever pays for the course agrees to not sell, transfer, etc. any o fthe material. The test is $1,149. For this reason, I always recommend trying the Work Study Program (https://www.sans.org/work-study/). You get the class, books, MP3s, and OnDemand for just $900. Can't beat that.
  • Options
    siderealprexsiderealprex Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot guys! I will just do my own self study for now before I take the course.