Options

GSEC attempt without coursebooks

arrestedmonkarrestedmonk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry beforehand if this post sounds ignorant.

I'm currently an ICS auditor in O&G, looking to move more into netsec to hedge my career for the future. My company is not providing any sort of sponsorship for taking the GSEC exam, and since i'm doing it out of pocket, i'm wanting to do it the most efficient way possible ie: just paying for test attempt.

I have started making an index, using several publications mentioned on this forum as supplemental to the course books provided at the actual training seminar. I listen to podcast on netsec and love messing around with Kali so I have a general idea of most concepts covered. That being said, I don't want to drop a grand on a cert just to find out that the test is not passible without the coursebooks. Could someone please provide guidance to a young padawan?

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's possible to do the GSEC w/o the books, although most of the test material will come directly from the books. The key is to have a solid index. I've been told that people have used the Network Security Bible (2nd edition) for GSEC.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While I wouldn't recommend taking the test without current official SANS books, your practice tests will tell you if your reference material and index are good enough to pass. If you do well on the practice tests, you should do fine on the exam.

My company is not providing any sort of sponsorship for taking the GSEC exam, and since i'm doing it out of pocket, I'm wanting to do it the most efficient way possible ie: just paying for test attempt.

You could try to be a facilitator for SANS event. While not common, they have selected people with no prior experience or SANS courses before. It will cost you $1,100 plus travel, hotel and meals to work for SANS for 7 days, they will give you an on-demand course, set of books and a certification attempt, in addition to anything you pick up while attending the classes. See if you can get your company to pick up your lodging expenses.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    arrestedmonkarrestedmonk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    While I wouldn't recommend taking the test without current official SANS books, your practice tests will tell you if your reference material and index are good enough to pass. If you do well on the practice tests, you should do fine on the exam..

Thanks, this sounds like the most logical plan.
  • Options
    BrandonEckertBrandonEckert Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How did this go?
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company won't pay for anything either, I'm also looking for self study resources for the GCFE exam.

Good luck!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil