ITIL v3 or PRINCE v2

wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I understand what they both are, and that ITIL is mainly IT focused; however, i am unsure as to which one of the two is more beneficial IT wise.

Do they cover the same sort of practices?

any help is appreciated! im a nub'e here lol.
~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I understand what they both are, and that ITIL is mainly IT focused; however, i am unsure as to which one of the two is more beneficial IT wise.

They're really two different things; to give a good answer would require a more specific question than "which is better?". e.g., which is better in terms of looking for a job, which is better in terms of usefulness, etc...

From a job standpoint, ITIL v3 Foundation certification is becoming an expectation in many industries. For example, I've spent quite a bit of time this year conducting these courses for various government contractors here in the US that are being driven by their contracts to ensure that a certain percentage of their people are ITIL v3 Foundation certified. It's also popular in many financial services company, and will probably increase in popularity once Congress comes up with whatever new regulations as a means of preventing a repeat of the current economic condition.

PRINCE2 on the other hand, isn't really big here in the US, and I've yet to see any significant demand for it, nor do I expect there to be any because PMI has the project management market pretty much sown up with the PMBOK. The demand for this might be totally different in Europe. In fact, to even take the PRINCE2 exams in the US is very difficult. I looked into it a while back; it was very difficult to even find what steps needed to be taken, and once I did find out, those steps did not meet my ROI requirements.

MS
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    from the available ITIL certifications, would the foundation be the best to start with? i know this would be the starting cert, but could i go straight to intermediate and learn the foundation with it?

cheers.
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
    from the available ITIL certifications, would the foundation be the best to start with? i know this would be the starting cert, but could i go straight to intermediate and learn the foundation with it?

cheers.

The foundation certification is required prior to pursuing any of the intermediate and advanced certifications.

MS
    Thanks for your help!
    Anytime...good luck!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi all,

I will bump as with C&G on your certification list I assume you are in the UK like myself.

Financial services like Prince. That I can tell you. On the job front it's about a 50/50 split of available jobs requiring either according to the jobserve board. Bricks and mortar companies as well as service providers seemed to favour ITIL over Prince from what I have seen. I realise that doesn't answer your specific question but it may be helpful anyway. If you are doing technical contracting it can be a plus to have either on your CV if you are heading towards companies with a lot of PM going on.
  • tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    Prince2 is pretty big in the UK, however it's not really the same as ITIL. ITIL I'd describe as a full IT service delivery framework. i.e. The companies entire Operations department would work to it's standards where as Prince2 is a project delivery framework. You could quite easily use Prince2 within ITIL for example to deliver a new intranet site.
    thanks for the replies, looks like im going to hold off on them for the time being, but to know which is valuable the most helps. thanks.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also looking at pursuing both of these eventually. I think I will have my head buried in a laptop for the next 2 years solid icon_eek.gif
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    ItsmHarun wrote: »
    I think PRINCE is better than ITIL.

I think that you like to revive old threads :-/
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM