I passed GCIH exam

HiggsxHiggsx Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm very happy that I've passed GCIH exam today with 87% score. I dedicated really a lot of time to prepare for this. Thanks to this community for their advises. Index pages are really helpful if it is good index. I took 2 practice tests before exam and my scores are:

1st Practice Test: 74%
2nd Practice Test: 84%

Exam: 87%

I think exam and practice test questions were at the same level of difficulty. I'm little surprised questions about metasploit wasn't on exam and on practice tests. Metasploit is used very often and I expected minimum of 2-3 questions about it.
Also I think that there were questions that weren't on books I don't remember what was questions but I'm sure their answers wasn't in books.
English language isn't my native language and 2 or 3 questions was little confusing because of strange English words. I think this was reason why I took 87% and not 90% :) . My aim was getting 90% or more. But that's ok :) , It is my first GIAC exam.
---
what would be next good certification? I think about OSCP and eCPPT

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!! Did you attend the course live?

Also, I would guess you could jump right into the OSCP personally... but I haven't taken the GCIH or OSCP and I'm just guessing based off what I've read about them.
  • HiggsxHiggsx Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr
    Thanks

NetworkNewb
    I attended course, I had OnDemand course :)
    thanks
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations.
    Higgsx wrote: »
    I'm little surprised questions about metasploit wasn't on exam and on practice tests.

You probably shouldn't be discussing what questions were on the exam, but I firmly believe the questions are pulled from a pool of possible questions (but I have no proof). So what questions you get are based on the luck of the draw. I came to this conclusion because SANS said purchasing additional practice tests past the two they give you offer diminishing returns, which would indicate there are a limited number of practice test questions to draw from. I take my test next week and I'll keep an eye out for these types of questions to see if I get any of them.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • AntonovAntonov Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr
    Thanks

NetworkNewb
    I attended course, I had OnDemand course :)
    thanks

Congrats on the pass! I'm thinking of taking the GCIH next. I was thinking I wanted to do this course Live but my other two certifications (GSEC and CISSP) I used SANS' OnDemand platform and loved it. How did you like the OnDemand?
    OnDemand was cool. My instructor was John Strand. Video quality is very good.

thanks everyone :)
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Did they have any simulation questions? Like drag and drop type stuff? or was it all pick one answer A, B, C, or D?

Or stuff like reading TCP **** and then selecting an answer?

\
    BillHoo wrote: »
    Did they have any simulation questions? Like drag and drop type stuff? or was it all pick one answer A, B, C, or D?

ABCD answers, sometimes only ABC. Analyzing packets were pretty tough, I also seen 4 questions about the same topic, and none of the questions Higgx referred to above.
    There were sometimes 4,5 or 3 possible answers. not just 4 answers in every question. There were many questions with pictures of TCP traffic **** in tcpdump and wireshark. It is very important that as you learn something new do it in practice. So,if you learn for example some fields in tcp/ip headers, sniff your own packets using wireshark or tcpdump and play with it. Dissect packets and go deeper.

I had Index pages + 25-30 pages of notes. Notes were for quick review of what I learned. It was very useful in transport before arriving at testing center.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the club! GCIH has been one of the most fun and challenging certifications I've gone after.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    There were sometimes 4,5 or 3 possible answers.

You right, I forgot about the 5 choice questions. For the most part 95% of the questions have four answers, a few have three answers and a few have five answers.