GCIH Question

bsjj27bsjj27 Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently indexing my books for GCIH and would like to sit for the exam soon. I took the on demand path with John Strand. I've gone through the videos 3 times and listened once and am in the indexing process. At the end of book 1 there is an appendix with a intro to linux section. Does anyone know if this needs to be indexed? I'm looking to save some time if possible. Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• jg372jg372 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are questions related to Linux on the test. Not sure if that specific section may help with any of the answers. I took the test yesterday and think I remember going back there to look for some answers I was unsure of, but don't think I found anything.
  • bsjj27bsjj27 Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input, I ended up going through and highlighting some things, as opposed to putting it fully in the index
  • c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone's indexing method is different, and I wanted to offer what I did to reduce the amount of time flipping through pages. I bought tabs from an office supply store and placed one on every 10th page and numbered them; 10, 20, 30, etc. This way, when I looked at the page reference, I didn't have too much guess work in getting to the right page. Looking for page 123? Grab the tab for page 120, and just flip a couple more pages. In addition, I made tabs for topics, and placed those along the top. This way if you missed something in your index, you were not totally lost on where to find a topic, such as buffer overflows, for example.
    Make sure you go through the day 6 exercise a couple times. If you can do the steps without much referencing, you should be in good shape.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's a pretty cool idea to tab every 10th page. It's always interesting to see the different strategies people use on their index.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am taking this class as well. The instructor told me that everything in the books can be in the test.
    I hope this helps.

I am working on my index as well. I have to make it a bit shorter .... and kill this exam.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My default answer would be to index the Linux section. If you are experienced in that area, maybe you can not include as much from this section.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't index the Linux portion. Its an appendix and there for a reference for people. Not the focus of the exam. I didn't index the Linux section.
    IaHawk wrote: »
    My default answer would be to index the Linux section. If you are experienced in that area, maybe you can not include as much from this section.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/