GREM - Study Suggestions

daydreamoblivion28daydreamoblivion28 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been working as a Junior Malware Analyst for two years, I want to get the GREM cert ,but I don't have money to attend the class so I'm thinking of challenging the cert without the class. Can anyone make some recommendations on what to study?

Comments

• mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    I've been working as a Junior Malware Analyst for two years, I want to get the GREM cert ,but I don't have money to attend the class so I'm thinking of challenging the cert without the class. Can anyone make some recommendations on what to study?

Hi there,

Few books you might want to check:

Practical Malware Analysis - The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
    Malware Forensics Field Guide for Windows Systems - Digital Forensics Field Guides
    Malware Forensics Field Guide for UNIX Systems - Digital Forensics Field Guides
    Practical Reverse Engineering: x86, x64, ARM, Windows Kernel, Reversing Tools, and Obfuscation
    Reversing - Secrets of Reverse Engineering
    Assembly Language - Step by Step - 3rd Edition
    Hacking - The Art of Exploitation - 2nd Edition

Cheers,
    m.
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    mokaz wrote: »
    Hi there,

Few books you might want to check:

Practical Malware Analysis - The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
    Malware Forensics Field Guide for Windows Systems - Digital Forensics Field Guides
    Malware Forensics Field Guide for UNIX Systems - Digital Forensics Field Guides
    Practical Reverse Engineering: x86, x64, ARM, Windows Kernel, Reversing Tools, and Obfuscation
    Reversing - Secrets of Reverse Engineering
    Assembly Language - Step by Step - 3rd Edition
    Hacking - The Art of Exploitation - 2nd Edition

Cheers,
    m.

These are great suggestions, though they only cover 60%ish of the content of the cert. They cover the Windows binary reversing content in great depth (honestly you just need PMA), but you also need to be adept at Windows memory forensics, Office Document reversing, and script reversing/obfuscation. The Art of Memory Forensics will cover you for the memory forensics portion, but I don't know of any books that cover the document reversing. There are a great many blogs that cover that though.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN