Anyone ever taken the in person training?

MashoTGMashoTG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I plan to take a week off work to attend training for GCIA. Anyone have experience in attending one of these? My aim is to use this as an excuse to attend the session in Japan that will be during the fall. So my question is, does that juicy price tag also include airfare and lodging? Or is that just for the training itself, and everything else is on us?

Still kinda debating if I should go for this, or use my saved up money on CCNP. Opinions on this are appreciated as well.

Comments

• GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    MashoTG wrote: »
    So I plan to take a week off work to attend training for GCIA. Anyone have experience in attending one of these? My aim is to use this as an excuse to attend the session in Japan that will be during the fall. So my question is, does that juicy price tag also include airfare and lodging? Or is that just for the training itself, and everything else is on us?

Still kinda debating if I should go for this, or use my saved up money on CCNP. Opinions on this are appreciated as well.

Good Morning/Evening/Afternoon,

So I plan to take a week off work to attend training for GCIA. Anyone have experience in attending one of these?

Did you use the search feature that this great forum has to offer? I can also guarantee that you can find your answer just by reading the SANS forum areas. All do respect.

So my question is, does that juicy price tag also include airfare and lodging? Or is that just for the training itself,

What did the SANS website tell you when you looked at the website for what's included in the price?

All do respect.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My only regret about SANS training is my company can only afford one a year. I've taken the OnDemand and live training multiple times. Both are good for different reasons. OnDemand is good for doing it on your own pace, but I prefer the live trainings since you get more interactions, after-class sessions, and the CTF events. Plus big security stuff always happens during the big SANS conferences (Orlando, Vegas, San Diego), so you get all of the emergency rush sessions plus you get to see the instructors running around like mad while they juggle their training sessions and independent consultant jobs where their clients are bugging them for the latest intel and recommendations.

Price is only for SANS itself, no travel.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As said, networking is the biggest benefit from going to a live conference...and seeing a new city if you travel. Travel and lodging are not included, and getting ondemand with a live conference is slightly more expensive, otherwise the cost is basically the same for the course.

If you can get a work study conference, it will cost around $3k with travel if you are in the U.S. at least...so significantly less, but you don’t necessarily get a course you really want.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have personally never seen training that includes airfare. Given the logistics involved it would be impossible to quote a price that makes sense universally.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I have personally never seen training that includes airfare. Given the logistics involved it would be impossible to quote a price that makes sense universally.

Stumbled upon these while researching training options for the year.

Microsoft Certification, Microsoft Training, Cisco Certification, MCSE Certification | Boot Camp Training from CED Solutions Includes airfare/lodging/meals. I have no idea of the quality. Like any other bootcamp, I'm sure it's hit or miss.

https://www.******************.com/ Same as above.

Apparently it's a thing.

EDIT: Since that second url automatically blacklisted on me, then it may be suspect....
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yes, but to my original point they need to quote you a price, so it's not universal. Guy from Chicago will not pay the same as the guy from the UK. Therefore, very hard if not impossible to say "This class is $6000 for anyone and we include airfare, meals, etc.".
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Yes, but to my original point they need to quote you a price, so it's not universal. Guy from Chicago will not pay the same as the guy from the UK. Therefore, very hard if not impossible to say "This class is $6000 for anyone and we include airfare, meals, etc.".

Their quote I think is domestic airfare up to $400.
  • al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The price is for training only in SANS. However, regarding Japan, i highly recommend not going there.. my last experience was horrible compared to other SANS conferences I've been to.

Now the instructors and courses are great it's just those who run it said they are not "SANS affiliate" so i shouldn't expect anything I've seen in other conferences (food, pens, shirts..etc.) plus the fact there are translators behind you in a booth where instructor has to pause between sentences can be really distracting.. And rarely you get good English speaking students too (had to have a translator in my 6th day challenge group)

Now, if you okay with working alone and its first SANS conference then I guess you won't notice the difference. Go for it .. Tokyo is one hell of a city anyways ;)
  • iotaiota Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    al88 wrote: »
    The price is for training only in SANS. However, regarding Japan, i highly recommend not going there.. my last experience was horrible compared to other SANS conferences I've been to.

Now the instructors and courses are great it's just those who run it said they are not "SANS affiliate" so i shouldn't expect anything I've seen in other conferences (food, pens, shirts..etc.) plus the fact there are translators behind you in a booth where instructor has to pause between sentences can be really distracting.. And rarely you get good English speaking students too (had to have a translator in my 6th day challenge group)

Now, if you okay with working alone and its first SANS conference then I guess you won't notice the difference. Go for it .. Tokyo is one hell of a city anyways ;)

Thanks. Never tot of it.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Japan? My manager wouldn't pay to let me fly to Orlando, I had to go to Philadelphia for SANS 504 training. He have a heart attack if I asked him to send me to Japan for training.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Japan? My manager wouldn't pay to let me fly to Orlando, I had to go to Philadelphia for SANS 504 training. He have a heart attack if I asked him to send me to Japan for training.

I wish there were more SANS events in Philadelphia. I think the one in Feb/Mar 2016 was the only SANS event in the last 8 years or so.