Do you recommend Sec511 course?

BoABoA Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Any one ever took Sec511 course before? If yes, please share your feedback on it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BoA wrote: »
    Any one ever took Sec511 course before? If yes, please share your feedback on it.

Thanks in advance.

Sir/Ma'am,

It's has been some talk about the course/certification in the forums in the past. I just used the advanced search feature and put in GMON and came up with some stuff.

Thanks,
  • BoABoA Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    johndoee wrote: »
    Sir/Ma'am,

It's has been some talk about the course/certification in the forums in the past. I just used the advanced search feature and put in GMON and came up with some stuff.

Thanks,

Dear johndoee,

Thank you for reminding me to look at old posts talking about the course by using the advanced search feature, but still it is a good idea to hear from new people who just finished the course
  • johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BoA wrote: »
    Dear johndoee,

Thank you for reminding me to look at old posts talking about the course by using the advanced search feature, but still it is a good idea to hear from new people who just finished the course

153 views later and are you still waiting for someone to tell you something that's not found in the search box? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Maybe at 50,003 views something will change or someone will write something just to write it.

Good Luck
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    511 is an excellent course. I haven't personally taken it but every single person I know here and in my local infosec circle provides excellent feedback. Regardless of courses being good or not, I would ask you where you are in your career and how the class fits in. For me, there are many SANS classes that although excellent, make zero sense becuase they are either too basic, too advanced, or simply outside the scope of my responsibilities and/or interests and career path. If your responsibilities fall in line with the topics covered in this class, there's simply no way you can go wrong.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have personally taken the SEC511 course about a month ago. I felt it was a great course except the first two days were a introductory/review for me. I could have done with those days compressed into 4 hours and add on a day and a half of deeper tech. Still, it was a great course for threat hunting and security operations.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    I have personally taken the SEC511 course about a month ago. I felt it was a great course except the first two days were a introductory/review for me. I could have done with those days compressed into 4 hours and add on a day and a half of deeper tech. Still, it was a great course for threat hunting and security operations.

Thanks for your reply,
    So have you taken it with Eric or with Seth ?
    I have heard that the lab is expiring after 1 or 2 weeks of the course, is that real??
    How technical is that course is it deep technical with many traffic analysis and investigation or more of a theory?
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    511 is an excellent course. I haven't personally taken it but every single person I know here and in my local infosec circle provides excellent feedback. Regardless of courses being good or not, I would ask you where you are in your career and how the class fits in. For me, there are many SANS classes that although excellent, make zero sense becuase they are either too basic, too advanced, or simply outside the scope of my responsibilities and/or interests and career path. If your responsibilities fall in line with the topics covered in this class, there's simply no way you can go wrong.
    Thank you for your reply,
    My responsibilities are more into monitoring and detection, so I was looking for a course that can help me in building a strong knowledge in that field. I find Sec503 and Sec511 both of them are in monitoring and detection,
    but I am not sure to which one should I go.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took the course with Bryan Simon. He was a great instructor and I recommend him fully. I don't know about the labs. I really enjoyed the labs and netwars and found the final 4 days to be quite technical in the labs. I learned a lot and found the class to be worth the effort. Do recognize that this is a boot camp style course with extended hours.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Danny411Danny411 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, new to Sans and will be attending the Sec511 course next week.  Any books you guys could recommend or material I could use to prep. If anyone has a spare practice test I would appreciate as well. Would like to do some practice before course and Gmon exam.  Greatly appreciate it!