I propose a change and simplification to the seven layers of the OSI model

fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
I mean does it really have to be 7 layers? Data goes from 1. software, through 2. protocols, to the 3. network, through 4. devices, and then does the same in reverse. I count 4 layers, LOL.

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Maybe the TCP/IP Model would be more to your liking.
  • desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fleck wrote: »
    I mean does it really have to be 7 layers? Data goes from 1. software, through 2. protocols, to the 3. network, through 4. devices, and then does the same in reverse. I count 4 layers, LOL.

Well I guess of "fiend of study" has that option. But what about all the layer 2/3 switching...

j/k - it would be "simpler" but when you get how different apps / devices work it begins to make sense, and have a purpose.
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    If it aint broke......
  • fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    If it aint broke......
    *sip* It's a rather a little too rich!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940

What are you, the George Carlin of the OSI model?
    Good luck to all!
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Maybe the TCP/IP Model would be more to your liking.

I came here to make this joke, knowing it had probably already been made icon_sad.gif
    HeroPsycho wrote: »

Dude, George Carlin on the 10 Commandments is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I was almost done typing that up.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dude, George Carlin on the 10 Commandments is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I was almost done typing that up.
    I would say that IT qualifies as one of the new priesthoods of the modern age. How many admins have I heard give bull sh!t explanations to end users in an attempt to frighten/confuse them into complying with policies?
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I mean c'mon, how hard is it to remember 7 items?

When I was prepping for the CCNA back in the day I remembered it as follows:

Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

It's tasteless but easy to remember, what can I say.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »

Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

That was awesome but also very sad. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_sad.gif

Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

Yeah but you don't have to remember just the seven layers' names, you have to know their function and what goes into each, right? That's just a lot to take in. Fortunately it'll be another month and a half before I'm supposed to take the Network+ exam, so I have a lot of time to revise them daily until I get them. The OSI model will perhaps be my greatest challenge in Network+, probably even my greatest challenge until I get to Cisco (and I've got A+, Security+, MCSA and MCSE to go til then). Simply because it's not formulaic and data-centric like everything else related to computers.
    Yeah but you don't have to remember just the seven layers' names, you have to know their function and what goes into each, right? That's just a lot to take in. Fortunately it'll be another month and a half before I'm supposed to take the Network+ exam, so I have a lot of time to revise them daily until I get them. The OSI model will perhaps be my greatest challenge in Network+, probably even my greatest challenge until I get to Cisco (and I've got A+, Security+, MCSA and MCSE to go til then). Simply because it's not formulaic and data-centric like everything else related to computers.

Have you tried looking at this?

OSI model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it is very well written and explains the layers functions well.

http://www.certificationzone.com/cisco/images/graphics/VP/IPTT/WP1/VP-IPTT-WP1-01.gif
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    ... Fortunately it'll be another month and a half before I'm supposed to take the Network+ exam, so I have a lot of time to revise them daily until I get them.

You posted this today yet under your list of certifications under your title you already have Network+ listed ? You've confused me yet again.

I'm sure this origional post was meant tongue in cheek but the OSI model isn't used anywhere except maybe in research circles. The OSI model is only used to reference aspects and sub-layers of the networking process which is why it is one of the fundamental things you need to know and understand fully when studying or working in the networking field.
    Kam.
  • bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    You posted this today yet under your list of certifications under your title you already have Network+ listed ? You've confused me yet again.

I'm sure this origional post was meant tongue in cheek but the OSI model isn't used anywhere except maybe in research circles. The OSI model is only used to reference aspects and sub-layers of the networking process which is why it is one of the fundamental things you need to know and understand fully when studying or working in the networking field.

Is it possible the WIP: Network+ he has listed could possibly stand for Work In Progress?
    bwillford wrote: »
    Is it possible the WIP: Network+ he has listed could possibly stand for Work In Progress?

I think that is what he meant.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503

Yes it does :)

Once you start working in the field, you'll learn about a major difference between Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3 and Layer 4 problems. Trying to amalgamate all of them just causes more confusion, eg "Its a network layer problem" "so, routing? error control? do they know they are connected? MAC table instability?"

Also, what if the problem is with the file format, or if you can't establish a session, despite everything at the network level running fine?

If anything, there could easily be more than 7 layers, and separate branches for each layer, the OSI is quite straightforward once you get your head round it.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    In networking specifically, you will utilize layers 1-4,7 in your troubleshooting process. And layer 7 is turning around to your developers and saying, "your app doesn't work!"
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940

Ah, yes, it was similar, but not funny...
    Good luck to all!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Ah, yes, it was similar, but not funny...
    Poor fleck. He's turning into the Dangerfield of this forum...
    Poor fleck. He's turning into the Dangerfield of this forum...

'I tell ya I get no respect!'
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What I kinda liked his character on Caddyshack.

"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife."
  • idetheponidethepon Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

I really have got a lot of info from you ideas. Thank a lot ! Hope that you will continue with new ideas !
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    No clue how I missed that Paul. Awesome icon_lol.gif

Me neither! :D I had to search through the thread to find find the quote...
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    How about making yourself a chart? That was one of our assignments in my network essentials class(based on the net+ exam) and keeping that around to go over can probably make remembering all the stuff a lot easier.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • udsysatudsysat Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    1 Please
    2 Do
    3 Not
    4 Throw
    5 Sausage
    6 Pizza
    7 Away

;)