New GIAC Cert renewal policy

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
GIAC Certification Renewal

Not sure how new this is, but I just saw it.

The GIAC program is making a major shift regarding our recertification approach. Instead of only offering a recertification exam, GIAC will allow individuals to maintain their credentials using a Certification Maintenance Units (CMUs) approach. This program change increases the options available to individuals. The new certification maintenance price is $399, due once every four years, at the time of registration.
Each GIAC certification remains valid for 4 years. The first 2 years you are certified requires no further action from you. After 2 years, the certification renewal process will begin with the ultimate goal being that you have demonstrated ongoing competency in the Information Assurance field. For each GIAC certification you need to acquire 36 CMUs (Certification Maintenance Units) after the two year mark and before your certification expires. Historically, you registered for your GIAC Recertification exam, received an updated set of course materials, and took your exam at a specified proctored site. This option is still available.
On March 1st, 2010, GIAC will begin to offer expanded certification maintenance options. Besides the existing method of retaking the standard certification exam, we will offer two main additional options. One alternative is for you to submit a published technical research paper, such as a GIAC Gold Paper. Another alternative is to take additional information assurance training courses, such as SANS training courses. There are also supplemental options described below that can be combined with any of the main options to help you reach the required 36 CMUs, if the training is less than six full days.
Below you will find information regarding each option, how the options can work together to meet the certification maintenance requirements, and the CMU breakdown for each option. Please pay close attention to the specific requirements of each option so you will be credited for the work you have accomplished and experience you have gained in the Information Assurance industry. All renewal options require a $399 certification maintenance fee, due once every four year period. This fee includes a current set of certification specific course materials should you choose to receive them. The updated course materials are available to you regardless of the renewal options you utilize and will aid you in keeping your skill set current. You are responsible for shipping fees.
If you have more than one certification expiring, you will receive a discount for any additional certifications that expire within two calendar years of the first. After the first $399 certification renewal, all additional certification renewals during this two calendar year period are $199 each. GIAC does not offer refunds on certification renewal attempts. GIAC reserves the right to deny any alternative CMU applications. If your alternative CMU application is denied, you can always take the current version of the certification exam to renew your certified status.
All Certification renewal and application options will become available for registration in your portal account two years in advance of your certification expiration date.
* If you wish to apply alternative training options to your CMU count, you must first fill out the Application for Alternative Accredited Certification Programs form and fax it in for review and approval before you submit the general Submission form. This will ensure that you can actually apply your alternative training to your CMU count. Alternative Accredited Programs are those that are not related to certification accredited under ISO/IEC 17024.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/51677-giac-provides-more-ways-recertify.html

A GSE-written will also renew all your GIAC certs, which is a more feasible route to take IMO.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/51677-giac-provides-more-ways-recertify.html

A GSE-written will also renew all your GIAC certs, which is a more feasible route to take IMO.

It's only more feasible if you qualify for the written by meeting the requirements of and passing the GSE. Given that there are only 22 GSEs in the world I don't think its THAT valid.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry, I should have qualified that better, it's more feasible for those with larger numbers of certifications. Plus, there is probably a significantly higher number of individuals that have passed the written alone.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have qualified that better, it's more feasible for those with larger numbers of certifications. Plus, there is probably a significantly higher number of individuals that have passed the written alone.

I honestly forget that the total number doesn't really matter given the already exclusively small number of GIAC profesionals.

That's actually a great question though; How many people HAVE taken and passed the written? Is that published anywhere? I'd honestly like to know if the gulf between the lab and the written is really that wide. I mean if you think about it, the cost of the lab isn't prohibitive because at that point you've already taken something obscene like $12,000-$15,000 for SANS training. I'm already in for $8k and I self-studied for one and got 25% off of one of the courses. I couldn't imagine a lot of people qualify for the GSE, would take the written, and not go through with the lab until they passed it.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine a lot of people qualify for the GSE, would take the written, and not go through with the lab until they passed it.

You'll be amazed by the number of people who passed a CCIE written, fail the lab a few times and give up entirely. I can imagine the same is possible with the GSE, it all depends on the level of difficulty between the written and the lab.

After all, SANS exams are "easy" to pass once you have the material and spend a decent amount of time studying, the lab looks like a different beast altogether!
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
    broc wrote: »
    You'll be amazed by the number of people who passed a CCIE written, fail the lab a few times and give up entirely. I can imagine the same is possible with the GSE, it all depends on the level of difficulty between the written and the lab.

After all, SANS exams are "easy" to pass once you have the material and spend a decent amount of time studying, the lab looks like a different beast altogether!

The difference between the GSE and the CCIE is that anyone off of the street can sit the CCIE written. You can sit that test with zero additional Cisco certs. You have to have three specific GIAC certs and a combination of two papers or replacement certs to even qualify for the GSE. What I'm saying is that after going through the work to meet the difficult and expensive requirements I don't see why someone wouldn't see it through.

Also, I wouldn't call SANS exams "easy." I've scored higher scores on Cisco tests than my open-book SANS challenges. If you look at the online scoring portal you'll notice the majority of passes are in the 70's and 80's. People pass the exams but its not a guaranteed chip-shot.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Cert vendors must have a continuing education program with CPEs in addition to renewal as an option in order to comply with ISO/IEC 17024.