ISO/IEC 20000 Qualification Scheme

Mary RoseMary Rose Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Can anyone give a brief comparison between the ITIL Qualification Scheme and the ISO/IEC 20000 Qualification Scheme? I mean in terms of cost of courses, effort needed, level of difficulty, etc.

I'd like to know that.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mary Rose wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone give a brief comparison between the ITIL Qualification Scheme and the ISO/IEC 20000 Qualification Scheme? I mean in terms of cost of courses, effort needed, level of difficulty, etc.

I'd like to know that.

Thanks in advance.

Brief. No.

Fundamentally these are two totally different things.

Unlike ITIL, there is no set curriculum or qualification scheme for ISO/IEC 20000.

The credentials for ISO/IEC 20000 are basically consultant and auditor, however, Exin has broken it down into multiple credentials that certify people. Here it is: Exam program - EXIN Exams

Let me know what you're looking for for ISO/IEC 20000 training and I can give you a quote/idea of what it would cost.

The main course that I have for it is a 3-day course that covers the specification and code from front to back. There may or may not be a test at the end....

MS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    Brief. No.

Unlike ITIL, there is no set curriculum or qualification scheme for ISO/IEC 20000.

The credentials for ISO/IEC 20000 are basically consultant and auditor, however, Exin has broken it down into multiple credentials that certify people. Here it is: Exam program - EXIN Exams

Let me know what you're looking for for ISO/IEC 20000 training and I can give you a quote/idea of what it would cost.

The main course that I have for it is a 3-day course that covers the specification and code from front to back. There may or may not be a test at the end....

MS

Can you self study for this exam or is this an exam where you have to go through a training course/vendor?
    N2IT wrote: »
    Can you self study for this exam or is this an exam where you have to go through a training course/vendor?

For the Exin ISO 20k certifications Foundation can be taken without a class, but anything above that requires attending a course from an accredited training provider.

MS
    For the Exin ISO 20k certifications Foundation can be taken without a class, but anything above that requires attending a course from an accredited training provider.

MS

Once again I thank you for you knowledge and your willingness to share. I really wish I had the funding I would love to take a training course with you as the instructor.
  • Mary RoseMary Rose Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Once again I thank you for you knowledge and your willingness to share. I really wish I had the funding I would love to take a training course with you as the instructor.

Who else would answer such questions other than the ever-faithful eMes?

I too wish there weren't continents and oceans keeping me from signing up for a proper training course by him. I'd gladly pay for quality training of this kind instead of the not-so-optimal online training I'm doing due to lack of better options.
    Brief. No.

MS

Correct my understanding if I’m wrong, but I think there is a qualification scheme to ISO20K too. It goes something like this:
    • There are 3 levels of courses: Foundation, Professional, and Consultant/Auditor.
    • At the Professional level, the Management & Improvement of ITSM Processes course + any 2 other courses are prerequisites if you want to move forward to the Consultant/Auditor courses.
    • At the final level, the Consultant Manager cert. is a prerequisite for the Executive Consultant Manager course, and likewise the Internal Auditor cert. is a prerequisite for the Executive Auditor course.
    If my understanding is right, then the track I’d like to take is: Foundation >> Management & Improvement of ITSM Processes >> Alignment of IT & the Business >> Delivery of IT Services >> Consultant Mgr >> Executive Consultant Mgr (this last one is a big maybe).

My questions to you are:
    1. Is the track I’m thinking of optimal?
    2. How much does it cost (course + certification)?
    3. Are there online ATOs? (I’m not gonna even look to see if there is an actual ATO in The Great State of NoTrainingStan. I know there can’t possibly be one. If there are no online ATOs, then please suggest something in the San Francisco Bay Area. I might be going there next month).
    4. How much effort should I expect to put into each certification? Similar to ITIL?
    NOTE: With my online ITIL training, I’ve been averaging about 3 weeks for each intermediate course. Basically I watch the videos, read the core book, read the training material provided by the ATO, do the sample tests, redo all these steps at least once more, and then I sit for the exam. I know it’s not the best way to get knowledge, but I’m trying to do the best with the options (or lack thereof) that I have in the primitive training market that surrounds me. BTW, I’m not a very fast learner. If I had an ITIL instructor who’d jam an intermediate level course in 3 days, I can’t take the test immediately afterwords. I’d have to take my time after the course reading the material and recapping what I learned in the 3 days of instructor-led training. I’m saying this to give you an idea of what my personal learning curve is like just so you can tell me if ISO20K is gonna require a similar effort, more, or less.

Thanks in advance.
    Correct my understanding if I’m wrong, but I think there is a qualification scheme to ISO20K too. It goes something like this:
    • There are 3 levels of courses: Foundation, Professional, and Consultant/Auditor.
    • At the Professional level, the Management & Improvement of ITSM Processes course + any 2 other courses are prerequisites if you want to move forward to the Consultant/Auditor courses.
    • At the final level, the Consultant Manager cert. is a prerequisite for the Executive Consultant Manager course, and likewise the Internal Auditor cert. is a prerequisite for the Executive Auditor course.
    If my understanding is right, then the track I’d like to take is: Foundation >> Management & Improvement of ITSM Processes >> Alignment of IT & the Business >> Delivery of IT Services >> Consultant Mgr >> Executive Consultant Mgr (this last one is a big maybe).

There's not specific qualification scheme stated in the specification. What you'll see is that every training provider can and will do this a bit differently.

If you follow what Exin has laid out then your path sounds right, however, I feel that Exin's path is unnecessarily atomic. That's a lot of classes/tests in order to get something that the market doesn't really understand yet. I would look to more to something like this: Hewlett-Packard Education & Training, US & Canada - ISO20000/BS15000 consultants and internal auditors course - UC410S

The above will result, if you pass, in earning the ISO/IEC 20000 consultant certificate. Please note, my link is not a specific endorsement of that training provider.
    My questions to you are:
    1. Is the track I’m thinking of optimal?
    2. How much does it cost (course + certification)?
    3. Are there online ATOs? (I’m not gonna even look to see if there is an actual ATO in The Great State of NoTrainingStan. I know there can’t possibly be one. If there are no online ATOs, then please suggest something in the San Francisco Bay Area. I might be going there next month).
    4. How much effort should I expect to put into each certification? Similar to ITIL?
    NOTE: With my online ITIL training, I’ve been averaging about 3 weeks for each intermediate course. Basically I watch the videos, read the core book, read the training material provided by the ATO, do the sample tests, redo all these steps at least once more, and then I sit for the exam. I know it’s not the best way to get knowledge, but I’m trying to do the best with the options (or lack thereof) that I have in the primitive training market that surrounds me. BTW, I’m not a very fast learner. If I had an ITIL instructor who’d jam an intermediate level course in 3 days, I can’t take the test immediately afterwords. I’d have to take my time after the course reading the material and recapping what I learned in the 3 days of instructor-led training. I’m saying this to give you an idea of what my personal learning curve is like just so you can tell me if ISO20K is gonna require a similar effort, more, or less.

Is the path you've listed optimal? I guess if you're sold on the Exin version of this then yes. However, I think you can accomplish the same result more quickly.

Cost will vary. I think an issue that you'll run into with the ISO20k courses is whether or not there is enough attendance for them to make.

The link I've listed above provides courses in the area that you've mentioned. I'm not sure who is offering ISO20k education online, but I would suspect that someone out there is.

BTW, the ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant exam is the toughest exam I've ever taken. It was 1 hour multiple choice, followed by 1 hour of essay.

MS
    BTW, the ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant exam is the toughest exam I've ever taken. It was 1 hour multiple choice, followed by 1 hour of essay.
    MS

And that is saying something since you have a whole bunch of well respected certifications.

How would you compare the ISO/IEC 20000 difficulty compared to the ITL V3 Foundation? I took several ISO practice exams and felt since taking the ITIL training it helped with the understanding of the questions the ISO mock exams were asking.
    And that is saying something since you have a whole bunch of well respected certifications.

How would you compare the ISO/IEC 20000 difficulty compared to the ITL V3 Foundation? I took several ISO practice exams and felt since taking the ITIL training it helped with the understanding of the questions the ISO mock exams were asking.

The ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant Certificate that I earned required ITIL Foundation as a prerequisite. Back when I did that it was still v2.

There really is not a comparison to be made...but I would say that on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the hardest, ITIL Foundation is about a 3. ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant on the same scale is about a 12.

MS
    There's not specific qualification scheme stated in the specification. What you'll see is that every training provider can and will do this a bit differently.
    MS

This piece of information is priceless. Thank you for the detailed response. That saved me a whole a lot of time.
    The ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant Certificate that I earned required ITIL Foundation as a prerequisite. Back when I did that it was still v2.

There really is not a comparison to be made...but I would say that on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the hardest, ITIL Foundation is about a 3. ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant on the same scale is about a 12.

MS

Gotcha thanks for the heads up. I was thinking more about just going for the ISO/IEC 20000 foundations offered by EXIN.

I am assuming that is whole lot less intense than the consultant version.
    Gotcha thanks for the heads up. I was thinking more about just going for the ISO/IEC 20000 foundations offered by EXIN.

I am assuming that is whole lot less intense than the consultant version.

Probably, but I can't say as I haven't taken it.

MS
    Probably, but I can't say as I haven't taken it.

MS

I'm going with your advice of these service certifications. Go for the low level one and hold that for a few years before jumping into the more advance/specialized. I don't want to be a paper champ or advertise that I am something I am not.