Operational Support and Analysis ( I am taking the course on line at this moment)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well I decided to go with a on line vendor and take the course on line.

First I want to say I have learned a lot, infact I learned so much that I realize for the work I am doing this class is an over kill. Anyway it is still useful and I enjoy the information in certain parts.

For an IT manager this course would be awesome. Hopefully I will be there one day, oh well back to my analysis.

Learning the processes and the functions have been the fun part along with the activities. Learning which processes are relavent to each other has been very interesting.

However I did struggle with the ITIL Concepts, Principals, and Service Operation overview. I also struggled with the implementation quizzes.

I ended up taking a ITIL practice exam which I rushed through the last part, but I ended up getting a 22 out of 40. If I would of slowed down and took more time I might of even passed it. Who knows really, but I am comfortable and confident that I can pass this exam. I decided to finish reading the book and going through the modules again later this week. I literally spent 6 hours off and on and more on today. If I can get a few more study sessions in like this one I should be doing okay.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

P.S. MS you are right this isn't a joke of an exam. The framework is massive and not only having to understand the service operation but also how it interfaces with the other parts of the lifecycle is demanding and challenging.

I mean if I fail and have to retake it's only another 275 USD ;)

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck with it...keep us updated.

MS
  • ITILTRAINITILTRAIN Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Three rules to being successful on the exam

1. Complete the course
    2. Read the associated ITIl books (the one that come with the class plus the Service Operations ITIL book from the OGC)
    3. Take all the module and Practice exams several times

There is also a really good Mentoring community on Lunkedin call My itSM mentroing community that has some really good tips on taking the exam.

N2IT wrote: »

First I want to say I have learned a lot, infact I learned so much that I realize for the work I am doing this class is an over kill. Anyway it is still useful and I enjoy the information in certain parts.

For an IT manager this course would be awesome. Hopefully I will be there one day, oh well back to my analysis.

Learning the processes and the functions have been the fun part along with the activities. Learning which processes are relavent to each other has been very interesting.

However I did struggle with the ITIL Concepts, Principals, and Service Operation overview. I also struggled with the implementation quizzes.

I ended up taking a ITIL practice exam which I rushed through the last part, but I ended up getting a 22 out of 40. If I would of slowed down and took more time I might of even passed it. Who knows really, but I am comfortable and confident that I can pass this exam. I decided to finish reading the book and going through the modules again later this week. I literally spent 6 hours off and on and more on today. If I can get a few more study sessions in like this one I should be doing okay.

P.S. MS you are right this isn't a joke of an exam. The framework is massive and not only having to understand the service operation but also how it interfaces with the other parts of the lifecycle is demanding and challenging.

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    Good luck with it...keep us updated.

MS

Thanks and I will keep you all posted.
    ITILTRAIN wrote: »
    Three rules to being successful on the exam

1. Complete the course
    2. Read the associated ITIl books (the one that come with the class plus the Service Operations ITIL book from the OGC)
    3. Take all the module and Practice exams several times

There is also a really good Mentoring community on Lunkedin call My itSM mentroing community that has some really good tips on taking the exam.

Appreciate the information.

I completed the course and now I am finishing up the SO OGC book. As soon as I am done with this book, I'll go for the itSM one and then onto the test. I do however want to go through the training video one more time. At least certain parts of it and definetly take those quizzes and practice exams.

Thanks again
    MS, Claire & Rick:

Update:

Just completed the OGC SO Book. Wow lots of information in there! Did I retain it all? I doubt it, but a lot of framework is start to mesh in my mind. The purpose of the individual functions is something I started to really pick up on and how they communicate across the whole life cycle. Nothing is static! Nothing is do this and that is that. It is a living framework that breaths. The awareness it brings is unreal.

I was talking to a friend of mine today and he is going on and on about how his organization implemented a project that cost 50 million and it's not what they want and all this jazz. And I am thinking the whole time, how could you let something like this happen? The framework is right there and you could of easily avoid such a blunder. Anyway I' m starting to think ITILIAN like I like to call it.

On to the training video one more time and then I'll read the itSM solutions book.

Last but not least I am going to write out note cards that go over the syllabus from APMG group.

I'll update in a few days once I hit another milestone.
    I was talking to a friend of mine today and he is going on and on about how his organization implemented a project that cost 50 million and it's not what they want and all this jazz. And I am thinking the whole time, how could you let something like this happen?

I worked at a company in the 90's that spent about $1 Billion on a project before they threw in the towel. That's "billion" with a "b", in the 90's.

This is not hyperbole, it's a matter of public record.

Sometimes organizations do really dumb things no matter how good they are at generating revenue and following best practices.

MS
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sounds like you're making fantastic progress!

Companies (and IT!) do make some daft decisions. The scary thing is as a consultant going from company to company and seeing them all make the same daft decisions.

There's a great program in the UK at the moment called 'Undercover Boss' where MDs and Finance Directors go back and work in their warehouses and operational teams in secret.

They invariably come back to their swanky office and say 'why didn't we know!?' and 'why aren't we listening to staff!?' icon_rolleyes.gif
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216

Companies (and IT!) do make some daft decisions. The scary thing is as a consultant going from company to company and seeing them all make the same daft decisions.

There's a great program in the UK at the moment called 'Undercover Boss' where MDs and Finance Directors go back and work in their warehouses and operational teams in secret.

They invariably come back to their swanky office and say 'why didn't we know!?' and 'why aren't we listening to staff!?' icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey, we have that show here in the States too! Undercover Boss, it is an awesome show! It really shows how disconnected CEO's and VP's are from their employees.
    eMeS wrote: »
    I worked at a company in the 90's that spent about $1 Billion on a project before they threw in the towel. That's "billion" with a "b", in the 90's.

This is not hyperbole, it's a matter of public record.

Sometimes organizations do really dumb things no matter how good they are at generating revenue and following best practices.

MS

You would think someone would get fired after a disaster like that.

Yeah Claire the knowledge is coming, it is difficult for me to piece it all together, but I am starting to think more ITIL. Hopefully 2 more weeks of exposure and some practice exams will do the trick.
    You would think someone would get fired after a disaster like that.

Some did, some didn't, which further underscores my point.

The point is, people are not rational. Organizations are composed of people, and therefore they are also not rational.

IMO this is one of the things that many organizations adopting ITIL seem to think ITIL will "fix". In fact it will not. ITIL or not there is always choice and decision-making involved in picking which course of action to pursue.

MS
    Update:

Scored a 25 and then back down to a 22 on the 1st exam. Still waiting to finish the itSM book, just started on Event Management in the itSM book. I am seeing things but still not clamping down on the questions. I don't know if it's my lack of ITSM experience or what. I still need to go through the syllabus and review the key points from the APMG syllabus. I have 8-10 hours today which I plan to use a few of them.
    One thing I have noticed I am notorious at doing bad on practice exams and then I pass the exam. It's like my brain release a secret chemical lol.

I'll keep you posted
    Took the second official ITIL practice exam and did a little better 31/40. I did however get a 0 on one of the answers. I second guessed myself it could of cost me. O well did better. I actually really took my time and really looked over all the answers. They like to throw erroneous information at you and sometimes mention things that aren't mention in the question to throw you off. Even on some of the 5's they might mention something that isn't mentioned in the question, but it's still the correct answer. Very bizarre
  • jiovalonjiovalon Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

What is on line vendor?

Regards