SANS Cyber Guardian Program

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
I just took a look at this program on the SANS site.

SANS: About The Logo - SANS Cyber Guardian Program

Looks hot, but that many certs in two years plus the GSE I think is a bit much haha; cool logo though.

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it’s generally unobtainable without some institutional help. By that I mean sponsorship / support from an employer. Per the Cyber Guardian website:

“SANS' Cyber Guardian program is designed for the elite teams of technical security professionals who are part of the armed forces, Department of Defense, or other government agencies whose role includes securing systems, reconnaissance, counterterrorism and counter hacks.”

Unless you work for the government or plan to it’s not really viable either. I think the GSE is appealing because it has application in the private sector. It’s still very cool, don’t get me wrong. It’s just designed specifically for a rather small sector of the over-all infosec community.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, we looked at this but you really need an organization to sponsor a group. It'd be awesome if you got the opportunity, but it's not something you can just do on your own.

I apparently have never read the FAQ: SANS: FAQ - SANS Cyber Guardian Program icon_redface.gif
  • TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I looked over this program briefly and I couldn't find how taking the "cyber guardian program" differs from just taking the following courses individually?

Baseline:
    Sec 503, 504, 508, 560.

Red Team:
    Sec 542, 617, 709

Blue Team:
    Sec 502, 505, 506

The program is basically just a packaging (and re-branding) of these 7/7 courses and corresponding certs....or am I missing something?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I submitted a request for blue team. I highly doubt they will call me (since I am such a noob and so on) but I am a little tired and I got click happy. I am basically going to play the "I was raised in the projects card*" and see if I can get them to sponsor me lol. I don't meet even one of the pre reqs lol! So sad icon_sad.gif I am also signing up for this later on today: http://cio-nii.defense.gov/sites/iasp2/

Dynamik and Paul you guys could probably kill this thing.

*I wasn't. My Dad actually made/makes a lot of money as a government chemist.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Dynamic and Paul you guys could probably kill this thing.

Man the GSE is breaking the bank hard enough as it is.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No kidding. Here's my total that I have to pay out of pocket:
    GCIH - $900
    GCIA - $900
    Gold Paper - $300
    GSE Written - $400
    GSE Lab - $1200
    That's $3700 out of pocket over the next twelve months, excluding travel to the lab. Excluding how much additional money I will throw away in Vegas (lab location - suck it CCIE candidates ;))

I wouldn't even be able to challenge all the other exams in this program (which would still be expensive as hell). I'd need the materials for the GCFA, exploit development, and probably GCUX as well. I'm sure I'd have to plop down well over another $10k to get through this. I think I'm starting to see why it's necessary to be backed by a corporation or government (or win the lottery) icon_lol.gif

If you're looking for an interesting program to join, check out InfraGard.
    Infoguard looks interesting. My local chapter is having a meeting soon. I might take some time off that day and check it out.
    I never signed up for InfraGuard because my last job’s work schedule was so demanding I just didn’t have the will to do it. Now that I’m working normal hours on normal days I can get into it. I’m going to apply soon.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I never signed up for InfraGuard because my last job’s work schedule was so demanding I just didn’t have the will to do it. Now that I’m working normal hours on normal days I can get into it. I’m going to apply soon.

I applied a few minutes ago. They say it can take up 2 three months but I hope it doesn't. The place where the chapter meets is like 5 minutes away from my job.

I also got contact back from SANS about the Cyber Guardian program. No rejections yet lol but I am sure they are coming soon.

EDIT: Anyone want to write up a cheap recommendation for me? I don't know anyone with any SANS certs icon_sad.gif

EDIT: Well apparently you can apply without meeting the pre reqs. I really need a change of pace and a program like this could really help me sort things out. I will let everyone know what happens.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »

I'm a member, though I have never been to a meeting. The resources they provide, the discrete warnings you receive by e-mail about known internet attacks, etc. are quite interesting.
    I'm a member even though I have never been to a meeting. The resources they provide, and the discrete warnings you recieve e-mails about are interesting.

Hope they are. I just faxed my app to them.
    So I have been doing some more thinking about this stuff. The first 4 seem difficult in their own right but I think I could self study for GSEC and maybe two of the other ones. I am going to have to get a job to sponsor me. I am faxing back my app tomorrow, maybe if I beg enough I can get SANS to sponsor me. My current job wouldn't do that, that's for damn sure lol.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Program Prerequisites
    • A minimum of 5 years of experience in information security
    • Outstanding performance reviews from commanders/managers
    • Recommendations from commanders/managers and peers
    • Completion of the GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC) exam with a score of 80 or above or hold a CISSP certification
    GAngel wrote: »
    Program Prerequisites
    • A minimum of 5 years of experience in information security
    • Outstanding performance reviews from commanders/managers
    • Recommendations from commanders/managers and peers
    • Completion of the GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC) exam with a score of 80 or above or hold a CISSP certification

They will still let you apply without meeting all the pre reqs. You would probably be a good fit for this as well.
  • TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They will still let you apply without meeting all the pre reqs. You would probably be a good fit for this as well.

+1

If you put 1/2 as much effort into your CyberGuardian application as you did your linkedin page, then you may have a shot icon_lol.gif
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□

I meet the requirements except working in america and being that I don't see that happening in the near future it wouldn't make any sense. And as dynamik pointed out I'm not done the learning phase of my life by a long shot.