Options

Any recommended ITIL metric books for service desk?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a metric book that mirrored up with ITIL best practices or even ISO 20000 best practices?

Thanks is advance

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No, the SO book should tell you everything that you need.

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    No, the SO book should tell you everything that you need.

MS

I meant for the actual formulas. I agree SO gives you some good metrics like cost per incident, etc, but I was wondering if there was a good solid Metric book to help out with the formulas.

I can do the querying against the database to pull up the type of incidents/request for change and see how long it took the tech from open to close to determine the mean price of that incident and even break it down by type of incident. I was looking for some good numbers to help assist in creating or at least agreeing on OLA's.

I'll reread the book and get back with you. I am looking for some hard quanative measures. But ones that make business sense.

I'll go back through my SO book and see if I can pull some more information from it. Would CSI have metrics in there?
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I meant for the actual formulas. I agree SO gives you some good metrics like cost per incident, etc, but I was wondering if there was a good solid Metric book to help out with the formulas.

I can do the querying against the database to pull up the type of incidents/request for change and see how long it took the tech from open to close to determine the mean price of that incident and even break it down by type of incident. I was looking for some good numbers to help assist in creating or at least agreeing on OLA's.

I'll reread the book and get back with you. I am looking for some hard quanative measures. But ones that make business sense.

I'll go back through my SO book and see if I can pull some more information from it. Would CSI have metrics in there?

IMO cost per incident tends to drive the wrong behavior.

The metrics that you need to measure a Service Desk are fairly simple...no complex measurements involved. Start out with something simple, like just getting a count of the actual number of incidents by category and priority. Then start counting average incident duration, and move on from there. It's really easy to over-metric things, and honestly I've never felt like I'd rather have 2 or 3 really good KPIs than a 1000 different metrics....

MS
  • Options

The metrics that you need to measure a Service Desk are fairly simple...no complex measurements involved. Start out with something simple, like just getting a count of the actual number of incidents by category and priority. Then start counting average incident duration, and move on from there. It's really easy to over-metric things, and honestly I've never felt like I'd rather have 2 or 3 really good KPIs than a 1000 different metrics....

MS

Wisdom

Thanks

So which would you choose if you don't mind me asking.

Total number of incidents for your baseline

1. First call/contact resolution rate
    2. Abandon calls from the ACD
    3. Amount of tickets kicked back from 3rd tier teams for improper routing?
    4. Call per incident with tier 1 and tier 2. Making those seperate measurements?

Would those 4 stand out as good KPI's?

In your mind what ones would you start off with first?
  • Options

MS

Just talking with you really gets the brain stirring. Thanks for the conversation it is always a pleasure.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    1. First call/contact resolution rate
    2. Abandon calls from the ACD
    3. Amount of tickets kicked back from 3rd tier teams for improper routing?

Those 3 are pretty good. I also find myself encouraging customers to properly configure their incident categories, and then track incidents by category. I would probably add in average incident duration with a target of increasing number 1 without overly increasing average incident duration. #2 basically tells you if you have enough people answering the phone, and you might want to look at it by hour/day of the week, etc...

What you want to look into are "tension metrics". Long story short, basically, however you measure a Service Desk, they will figure out how to game the measurement. Tension metrics help prevent that.

Also look up "SMART" (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic/Relevant, Timely) metrics...the best metrics tend to meet all of those criteria.

MS
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Some good advice in this thread. Van Haren's Metrics for Service Mgt is a good resource, the ISBN no. is ISBN: 978907721269B

You can buy a year's subscription online for 10 euros, it also covers interfaces to COBIT, ISO20k etc.

Claire
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Weldone guys,I want to be like you guys one day.

Your knowledge pool is exemplary!