Passed ITIL v3 foundation with 2 days prep

micks80micks80 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the ITIL v3 Foundation exam today with 77%.

Not that good of a score but with just 2 days of preparation I did not expected more .. :)
I had a unique situation where my company was sending me to a 5-days RC&V course and it included the exam in the last day but the pre-requisite was to pass the foundation exam. So with just 2 days to go, I booked an exam, searched the internet for forums and books and was all set.

I eventually noticed that i have downloaded too much of material e.g. CBT nuggets, art of service videos, service foundation book, tim's certification kit pdf, taruu's pdf and a lot more...and I did not had that much time to go through it.

So, I just did a quick but thorough read of the following -
- Taruu's online pdf guide
- Tim' certification kit pdf
- Gave some sample tests covering like 200 questions in total

And went for the exam and passed :)
The questions I missed were probably not covered in these 2 guides e.g configuration model, roles and functions in details etc

Background: I have 6-7 years background in I.T (specialization in config mgmt.) with a degree in comp sc. and couple of java certifications

Hope it helps and encourages other candidates in similar situations...it's doable, just be strong and prepared.

I wish Ihad little more time to get into more details as I loved reading each topic of the exam...

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    micks80 wrote: »
    I passed the ITIL v3 Foundation exam today with 77%.

Not that good of a score but with just 2 days of preparation I did not expected more .. :)
    I had a unique situation where my company was sending me to a 5-days RC&V course and it included the exam in the last day but the pre-requisite was to pass the foundation exam. So with just 2 days to go, I booked an exam, searched the internet for forums and books and was all set.

I eventually noticed that i have downloaded too much of material e.g. CBT nuggets, art of service videos, service foundation book, tim's certification kit pdf, taruu's pdf and a lot more...and I did not had that much time to go through it.

So, I just did a quick but thorough read of the following -
    - Taruu's online pdf guide
    - Tim' certification kit pdf
    - Gave some sample tests covering like 200 questions in total

And went for the exam and passed :)
    The questions I missed were probably not covered in these 2 guides e.g configuration model, roles and functions in details etc

Background: I have 6-7 years background in I.T (specialization in config mgmt.) with a degree in comp sc. and couple of java certifications

Hope it helps and encourages other candidates in similar situations...it's doable, just be strong and prepared.

I wish Ihad little more time to get into more details as I loved reading each topic of the exam...

Congratulations on passing.

2 days is about typical, as most people that take Foundation take it as a 3-day class. The first 2 days cover the material, and typically the 3rd day is for exam review and taking the actual test.

In any event, congratulations and welcome to TE.

BTW, the exam at the end of RCV will be much much tougher than your Foundation exam. Do not underestimate it.

MS
  • micks80micks80 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Congratulations on passing.

2 days is about typical, as most people that take Foundation take it as a 3-day class. The first 2 days cover the material, and typically the 3rd day is for exam review and taking the actual test.

In any event, congratulations and welcome to TE.

BTW, the exam at the end of RCV will be much much tougher than your Foundation exam. Do not underestimate it.

MS

Thanks for the warm welcome and heads up on RCV.
    With your comment, I will start preparing it on the side as well so that i am well prepared for it next friday :)
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    yea i took the 3 day prep course and i passed...paid by company
  • user0044user0044 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

If you could recommend books to read to prepare for ITIL v3 exam, please let me know. What books are recommended by the ITIL officially?

Also, someone told me that taking the ITIL training is not required, one can easily prepare for the exam by reading books and consulting exam material, is that true, would you recommend me not take the training and prepare just with the books?

Thanks

hammad