Options

GCIH Today

ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
I passed the GCIH today with a score of 94.67% and finished the exam in less than 2 hours. Overall, I believe the exam was trickier than the (2) practice exams that you're given, but not too difficult.

I was hoping to review some more last night but as I had a heck of a headache I just went to bed. Luckily for me I got to the testing center earlier than expected, so I had about 40 minutes to review all (5) books. Although I created an index of all (5) books, I barely used it.

Little did I know that getting the GCIH would be so gratifying. I feel great about getting it over with, but most importantly I believe I learned a great deal from pursuing this certification. The SANS books were incredible and I plan on using them in the future.

Although I found a few misspelt words on the books, the content was amazing. Wouldn't hesitate to do the course all over again if I had to! I am so looking forward to getting started on the GCIA!
Every day hurts, the last one kills.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Don't forget to put the cert on your list!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Congrats! Don't forget to put the cert on your list!

Thank you! I already updated my cert list, thanks for the reminder. On a different note, I just checked the GIAC website and it looks like they rounded off my score to 95, yay!!!
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! One of the certifications on my list as well.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
    SephStorm wrote: »
    great job! did you self train or take a course?

I bought the OnDemand training which included the books + mp3s + OnDemand access. Went over the OnDemand stuff and then read all (5) books twice. I also listened to the mp3s while driving and taking the train to work.
  • Options
    lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WOW only? you must have experience then?? CONGRATS I am moving to GIAC certs now. I NEED more challenges lol

ipchain wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

I bought the OnDemand training which included the books + mp3s + OnDemand access. Went over the OnDemand stuff and then read all (5) books twice. I also listened to the mp3s while driving and taking the train to work.
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • Options
    lanrexng2 wrote: »
    WOW only? you must have experience then?? CONGRATS I am moving to GIAC certs now. I NEED more challenges lol

Thanks. Experience definitely helped, but nothing beats having a fresh and young mind. Are you planning to tackle any SANS certs soon? If so, are you planning on going to a live conference or doing self study? I can only tell you that it will be well worth it, regardless of how you decide to go about it.
  • Options
    !willfin@llyp@$$thecert!!willfin@llyp@$$thecert! Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on passing the GCIH! I took the exam and failed drastically! My indexing was completely off. I bought and paid for the retake so my new deadline is 2/11/11. I need to have this cert in order to keep my job. Is it possible you could provide a template, or maybe your notes? your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    congrats on passing the GCIH! I took the exam and failed drastically! My indexing was completely off. I bought and paid for the retake so my new deadline is 2/11/11. I need to have this cert in order to keep my job. Is it possible you could provide a template, or maybe your notes? your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

For some reason I find it difficult to believe that you actually failed. Do you have any proof that you actually did? I would be more than happy to help but don't expect me to believe you so easily.
  • Options
    !willfin@llyp@$$thecert!!willfin@llyp@$$thecert! Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ipchain wrote: »
    For some reason I find it difficult to believe that you actually failed. Do you have any proof that you actually did? I would be more than happy to help but don't expect me to believe you so easily.
    Believe it! But your right though Tough Love is needed here. Today, I took my (1 of 2) practice test today without any books. I failed it, but that's ok. I know now what they're asking and i am retaining the information. My biggest problem is I overthink things too much. (my wife tells me) She's right. But NO MORE! like my name, I will finally pass the cert!! (GCIH,CISSP,Network+) This is the year! I really appreciate your help. Is it possible i can look, and compare my notes? my email is
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It sounds like you need some more experience my friend. Remember, certs validate knowledge and experience. Theoretically you should have taken Net+ before Sec+ and studied GCIH for some time, and in a few years go for CISSP.