SOA exam

BW81BW81 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sat the SOA exam this morning, failed with a score of 68%!
I was 1 point off.
It was by far the hardest ITIL exam I have done so far, today was the last chance for me to take it before xmas so I tried to study everything in a couple of weeks, I could have probably done with a bit more time.

Will try again in January.

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BW81 wrote: »
    Sat the SOA exam this morning, failed with a score of 68%!
    I was 1 point off.
    It was by far the hardest ITIL exam I have done so far, today was the last chance for me to take it before xmas so I tried to study everything in a couple of weeks, I could have probably done with a bit more time.

Will try again in January.

Sorry it didn't work out...the intermediate exams are really tough.

For the SOA exam I would probably focus on knowing the linkage between Service Level Management and CSI, which is the service review meeting. I would also know about the service catalogue, specifically the steps one might take to implement one. It's early and this is all that comes to mind at the moment.

MS
  • BW81BW81 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Emy_hmEmy_hm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GOOD luck in Jan , in fact i'am planning to pass it next week and i feel it will be hard ,my main problem is to choose between the score 5 versus 3 as any advices ?
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Emy

The best advice I can give you about choosing between the 3 and the 5 is to spend hours using the sample papers as an analytical exercise.

Choose your 3 and 5 answers, and document why you have chosen them. Compare that the the examiner's rationale and the source material in the ITIL volumes - are there any trends in the answers you pick? What do they mean?

Your training organisation can also supply you with the sample papers for the Service Strategy and Service Design lifecycle courses - they cover a lot of the same ground so you can use them to practice your technique too.

Good luck!

Claire
    Took the exam again today and passed with a score of 90%. Did a lot more study this time (due to fear of failing again!) and had no troubles.
    MALC up next...
    Took the exam again today and passed with a score of 90%. Did a lot more study this time (due to fear of failing again!) and had no troubles.
    MALC up next...

Congrats on the pass.

MS
    Thanks MS, any tips for the MALC or is it just a matter of knowing everything in the core books?
    How does it compare in terms of difficulty to the others?
    Thanks MS, any tips for the MALC or is it just a matter of knowing everything in the core books?
    How does it compare in terms of difficulty to the others?

I wouldn't say everything...it's more of a test over some key topics.

Usually by the time people get to the MALC they've been through so much unpleasantness that they feel that the MALC exam is fairly simple.

MS
    Thanks for the info.
  • jimmyhoohjimmyhooh Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MALC up next...
    Congrats BW. I have completed my ITIL OSA and RCV but intent to do SOA as well. Any tips, Any hints that you can enlighten me. Which areas to focus especially since you have already did twice in SOA.

Thanks BW

Jimmy
  • BMKBMK Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MALC up next...[/

When you resat the exam, were you given the same questions?
  • AnakrosisAnakrosis Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Claire´s advice is really smart, I do also struggle on this topic, in addition and since unfortunately this will be 3rd time I have to sit this damn exam, I would highly recommend to be sure about responsibilities in between S.L.Manager role and Business relationship manager.

Regards

Emy

The best advice I can give you about choosing between the 3 and the 5 is to spend hours using the sample papers as an analytical exercise.

Choose your 3 and 5 answers, and document why you have chosen them. Compare that the the examiner's rationale and the source material in the ITIL volumes - are there any trends in the answers you pick? What do they mean?

Your training organisation can also supply you with the sample papers for the Service Strategy and Service Design lifecycle courses - they cover a lot of the same ground so you can use them to practice your technique too.

Good luck!

Claire
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Third time lucky hopefully Anakrosis, good luck!
  • MohammadshMohammadsh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,
    Sadly I failed the SOA exam today and I need your assistance, the problem is that I don't know which questions I failed, so am afraid if I do it again I will fail! I remember few things only about the questions and am not sure if you will understand the following because of may bad English and because of I just wrote anything I remembered, so please if you applied for the exam recently to advise me

1- table contain 7 services (1 is retired (consideration to re invest in the service , 1 is operational (not valuable), 1 approved, 3 build and test..)they are introducing SPM, my answer was to add the operational, build and test services in the service catalogue, for the approved service to be kept n pipeline, and to reinvest in the tired service and to retire the operational service by the end of the current contracts with the customers, is this correct.
    2- a question about BRM and SLM roles and responsibilities, I remember 3 options confused me, 1- understand and work with the customer on operational and tactical objectives 2- understand a work with the customer on strategic and tactical objectives 3- regular communication with the customer 4- ongoing service reviews and there are other responsibilities which I don't remember who knows the answer?
    3- a company has 10 years experience operations manager who has good experience dealing with customers, 2- experienced application manager 3- manager (don't remember his title) but he can work as supplier manager, the question gives 5 responsibilities and need you to assign the person to do that accruing to RACI, my answer was that all things related to service catalogue such as definition the RA is the application manager, the consultant is the operation manager! for collecting the requirements from the customer I selected the operations manager as RA
    4- I didn't understand what's required of this question, but the scenario mention very good points about demand management such as, demand management has channels with availability management and capacity management, 2- patterns of demand translated into plans t to capacity management.... etc as I remember the question was what are he critical success factors of the demand management "maybe"
    5- a company got affected by the last word crises and they lost customers, I am not sure of the question and even the options, but I remember some options were about( define the vision which align with the business and IT, prioritize the improvements, detail the improvements to get more quality service, add measures to validate the outcomes are achieved, add measures, keep the momentum to keep on improvements.) as an actin plan!

6- IT company provide services, not all the services are included in the service catalogue, technical descriptions are only available which the customers are unable to understand, some retired services still exists and some operational services are not added, and the company want to introduce service catalogue, the question was bout the value of the service catalogue "maybe"
    7- a company has different business unites, some business units are dissatisfied of the service level by the support and networking teams, the demand is high on the services and the support and networking teams complain of being disrupted for high priority calls, and the company want to introduce service strategy, how this can help both the support and network teams and the business
    Please if anyone can remember the questions and the chose to provide us with and to clarify the answer.
    Thanks