Interview: Big decisions

techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
I am currently working as a jr network administrator for a relatively small company. Although my title is Jr. Net admin, I am basically a computer technician: Imaging computers, replacing parts, fixing printers, working on active directory and managing Symantec Endpoint Protection and the netbackups.

I am currently working on my CCNA and am planning on having it by July, so I am currently looking for a job to get experience with switches, routers etc. I have an interview with a company called Compucorp and they are most likely going to pay me in the 40k range if I get the job whereas at my current job I am making 25k. Based on the following job description, is this a good job for someone pursuing network engineering status, say in the next five years? Or should I wait and find something more Cisco specific?

Network Support Analyst

Required Certifications (or equivalent experience):
CompTia A+
CompTia Network+
Any Microsoft or Cisco certifications are a plus

Required Experience: (Minmum 2-3 years small business support)
- Structured Cabling
- Windows SMB file sharing in workgroup and domain environments
- Familiarity with supporting Active Directory; adding users, and troubleshooting general issues within computer accounts in Active Directory
- Troubleshoot local DNS issues within a domain based network
- Network device troubleshooting; routers, switches, firewalls [NAT/ACL/MAC Addressing]
- PC Hardware and Software upgrade, repair and build
- Microsoft Server 2003/2008
- Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007/2010
- Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010 (Word, XL, Outlook at a minimum)
- Spyware and virus removal and the ability to detect when both are present
- Experience with Symantec Corporate/Enterprise edition virus protection
- Experience using TCP/IP suite tools to troubleshoot network connectivity issues and lag times
- Ping, tracert, nslookup, etc.
- Basic understanding of OSI model and how it relates to real world troubleshooting

Required Skill Set:

Good interpersonal communication skills
Have reliable transportation
Enjoy working with the public
Have a positive attitude
Maintain a professional appearance
Have good logical troubleshooting skills
Salary is commensurate with experience and we offer a full range of benefits including health care, paid vacations and a retirement program. This is a full time permanent position with room to develop and grow as our company expands.
(CCNP: Switch) Passed!
(CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
(CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
(Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It doesn't look to be too heavy on the network side. If thats what you are looking for then I'd find something else.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    It doesn't look to be too heavy on the network side. If thats what you are looking for then I'd find something else.

It would be a good job to take until he can get more personal experience with networking. Nobody in their right mind would hire him for a networking-specific role until he had some years and experience under his belt, which he can get in that job because that company does have the right kind of environment where he can learn to do networking in addition to improving his current skill-set.
    It would be a good job to take until he can get more personal experience with networking. Nobody in their right mind would hire him for a networking-specific role until he had some years and experience under his belt, which he can get in that job because that company does have the right kind of environment where he can learn to do networking in addition to improving his current skill-set.

I'd rather go for something like a NOC job if being network engineer is your goal rather than something that sounds like basic helpdesk.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I'd rather go for something like a NOC job if being network engineer is your goal rather than something that sounds like basic helpdesk.
    Doesn't change the fact that the job he listed is a great intro to the networking side of things. He may not be so homed in on specifically being a network engineer as well.

I agree though, If he is certain he wants to be a network engineer and nothing else, a decent NOC job would be better to get him there.
    Heero wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact that the job he listed is a great intro to the networking side of things. He may not be so homed in on specifically being a network engineer as well.

How is that job a good intro to the networking side of things? Looks like a regular helpdesk job to me.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    techie2012 wrote: »
    - Network device troubleshooting; routers, switches, firewalls [NAT/ACL/MAC Addressing]
    - PC Hardware and Software upgrade, repair and build
    - Microsoft Server 2003/2008
    - Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007/2010
    - Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7
    - Microsoft Office 2007/2010 (Word, XL, Outlook at a minimum)
    - Spyware and virus removal and the ability to detect when both are present
    - Experience with Symantec Corporate/Enterprise edition virus protection
    - Experience using TCP/IP suite tools to troubleshoot network connectivity issues and lag times
    - Ping, tracert, nslookup, etc.
    - Basic understanding of OSI model and how it relates to real world troubleshooting

There is some networking in the job. If you're intent on being a network engineer or wanting to be more involved in the network side, I would ask during the interview how much networking/net engineer is part of this job.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    How is that job a good intro to the networking side of things? Looks like a regular helpdesk job to me.

Because the company, a localized service provider, does a lot of networking and server stuff and some of that will be things he would be given the chance to do after proving himself. Those are ideal jobs for people who need to get networking skills while building up their other skills. Especially if the company actually invests in developing their employees with internal training and other resources, which is a very hard thing to find in any IT job these days in the world of mega outsourced service providers who don't care about anything other than putting a warm body in their ranks to do their work.
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    I had my interview and gathered a good amount of information. The company is comprised of about 10 IT professionals that serve around 100 small businesses. They have an IT professional for just about everything: Technician, Help Desk tier 1,2,3 Web Developer, Programmer, Network Engineer, Systems Engineer etc. They explained that my role would be Help Desk Tier 2 and would be taking various calls regarding servers, workstations and various different systems and network issues. They explained that nothing is ever documented (which kind of worries me) and every day is something new. A major plus is when they told me that whenever I wanted to learn how to configure a server, router, switch etc for a business, I could just let them know and I would go out with the person on the next run. My only concern would be job security. Other than that, this is a noobs dream job. The best thing about it is that when I do get my CCNA and go out a couple times with someone on trips for configuring network devices, I can start doing it by myself. I just hope I get it, the interview was intense with off the wall scenarios but I think I did well. :)
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heh, looks almost exactly like the job description for the Help Desk job I start tomorrow. :D
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Because the company, a localized service provider, does a lot of networking and server stuff and some of that will be things he would be given the chance to do after proving himself. Those are ideal jobs for people who need to get networking skills while building up their other skills. Especially if the company actually invests in developing their employees with internal training and other resources, which is a very hard thing to find in any IT job these days in the world of mega outsourced service providers who don't care about anything other than putting a warm body in their ranks to do their work.

This. I see an opportunity to gain knowledge in many areas. The fact that they allow you to go out with an experienced tech is priceless. Some places label you as something and won't let you touch anything else. If you get a good mentor you can quickly pick up a lot. If you learn quickly and have the right attitude, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck!
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Well, they re-posted the job, I may have been asking for too much salary wise but I am getting a raise next month at my current job. So I will just stick with this job until I achieve my CCNA, I will keep an eye out but id rather tell an employer that I have a CCNA rather than im working on getting it. Heck, maybe by then there will be better job postings in my area. I live in Columbus, Ohio, big college city (Ohio State) good jobs are few and far in between, I am blessed that I have the job that I do now. :)
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    yep, something better will come along! :D