GSEC passed

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
Passed GSEC with 96% score earlier this week.

Glad to have it finally off of my to-do list - wanted to take it right after the course, but work and life got in the way. It is a well-reviewed and popular course/exam, so I will spare repeating the same details, but feel free to ask questions. I will try to update the other thread about my conference experience.
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Oh yeah, my take on the FAQ:

- How similar are practice tests and the real thing?
    - I felt they were pretty similar in format, coverage, and difficulty. I completed both practice tests in 2 hours with 92%. The real exam took ~2.5 hours.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Great score too.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Awesome. Congrats!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @ChooseLife - Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif In my estimation, all SANS certs are difficult by definition.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    thanks all!

@YFZblu - how was your conference and how is your GSEC coming along? I have been away from TE for awhile...

GetCertified4Less
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Congrats!!! Im hoping to take the 401 in February and I can't wait.
    azmatt wrote: »
    Congrats!!! Im hoping to take the 401 in February and I can't wait.
    Grazias. Why would you take 401 after GCFA and GCIH? For GSE?

GetCertified4Less
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Possibly down the road but for right now i think i would pick up a lot of general knowledge in the 401.

One downside of starting with 'higher' classes is they assume you have certain knowledge. I think I've gotten most of that but a run through the 401 wouldn't hurt.
    azmatt wrote: »
    Possibly down the road but for right now i think i would pick up a lot of general knowledge in the 401.

One downside of starting with 'higher' classes is they assume you have certain knowledge. I think I've gotten most of that but a run through the 401 wouldn't hurt.
    If you feel it would help and don't mind the cost, sure go for it.
    Like I said, SEC 401 provides some broad coverage of security topcis on a foundational level.

GetCertified4Less
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    thanks all!

@YFZblu - how was your conference and how is your GSEC coming along? I have been away from TE for awhile...

SEC401 was great! I really enjoyed it. I just finished CCNA: Sec a couple of weeks ago, and it's time for me to jump into the GSEC material. I have three months before my free exam challenge expires, so that's what I'm shooting for.

What's next on your list?
    YFZblu wrote: »
    SEC401 was great! I really enjoyed it. I just finished CCNA: Sec a couple of weeks ago, and it's time for me to jump into the GSEC material. I have three months before my free exam challenge expires, so that's what I'm shooting for.
    Congrats on the CCNA:S pass and good luck with your GSEC!
    YFZblu wrote: »
    What's next on your list?
    Nothing, actually. I have recently discovered life outside of my geeky closet, so I am going to take time off and enjoy life...

GetCertified4Less
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Nothing, actually. I have recently discovered life outside of my geeky closet, so I am going to take time off and enjoy life...

That sounds pretty great - I may do the same after GSEC.
  • JoshbizJoshbiz Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chooselife, Congratulations on the pass I am taking the exam next month and have been studying like crazy. Also I have been putting a glossary together and index but what info could you give to someone that is going to take the exam? I have been reading practice questions that I think are from the security plus, Are they similar questions?
    Did you have the books or did you just challenge the exam?
    Thank you for any info you can provide for me!
    Josh
    Josh,

My experience is documented here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/80955-sans-work-study-experience.html#post703156

Sec+ and GSEC exam have some overlap, but Sec+ questions alone will not prepare you for GSEC.
    I did have the books and also took the official class. When you purchase an exam attempt, you receive two practice tests with it, they are sufficiently similar to the real exam. If you have not yet purchased the exam but want to know whether you know enough to challenge it, you can try finding someone giving away their unused GSEC practice exam for free.

GetCertified4Less