Best way to prep for GSEC

URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am planning to start diving into the SANS realm with SANS 401, GSEC. I am trying to develop a study plan for this exam, but am unsure where to begin. From everything I read, it seems like the best/only way to study for this exam is to use the official curriculum. While I have been doing this stuff for a while, I get the impression that some out of the blue questions might be asked where I would need to reference an official text index.

What are the thoughts from those who have passed?
MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    Yes, you should take the SANS 401 class. That is how you get the lectures, books, slides, and MP3's of the lectures.

Probably the best single book for off-the-shelf GSEC study is Network Security Bible by Dr. Eric Cole. He is the original author of SANS 401 and has taught it for the past 15 years. However, it is likely not a source of information for the actual exam questions as the SANS 401 books are.
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Since SANS tests are open book the best option for passing the test is always going to be to take the course and index the books. If that isn't an option than I think JDMurray nailed it with the Network Security Bible.

I will say that I already had several certs when I took the 401 and I found it very enjoyable and informative. You'll likely learn quite a few things including some things about areas you already have a good understanding of. I enjoyed the way Dr. Cole covered both the technical aspects and the business aspects. A few of the ways he looks at things were new to me and good to know.
  • Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chief, I have 2 practice exams I can send you if you need them.
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you still have them, that would be awesome! How well did the questions on these practice exams mimic what you saw on the actual exam?

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you still have them, that would be awesome! How well did the questions on these practice exams mimic what you saw on the actual exam?

IMO the GSEC practice exams are an excellent representation of the real thing.
  • Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chief,
    PM me your email or SANS ID.....
    Are you going 255S ???
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PM sent with my email address.

Yes, I am looking heavily into 255S. I am also looking into the SANS Masters program once I complete my bachelors degree, hence my interest in the GSEC and other GIAC certs. I have 10 classes left in my bachelors but I am hoping to test out of 4 of them, so I am waiting to see how that goes. I want a security-centric masters program so right now it is between SANS, Nova Southeastern, and Regis University.

Anyways, thanks again!