Welcome to the TechExams Community

MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 Admin
edited February 2019 in Announcements

Thanks for joining the TechExams community!

Home to over 200,000 IT and security professionals, TechExams is one of the best online resources available to help you prepare for your next certification exam while expanding your network of industry contacts. Our subforms cover most major IT and security certifications, as well as other helpful forums on topics like security news, Cloud security, scripting and more.

Here at Infosec, we’re dedicated to supporting and growing the TechExams community and its members. We promise to always keep the community free, professional and fun.

About Infosec

Infosec provides award-winning security education solutions. We deliver skills training and certification prep courses for security professionals while building the entire workforce’s security aptitude through awareness training and phishing simulations.

• Infosec Flex Courses are trusted by IT professionals worldwide as the leading security training solution. With the most flexible online and in-person training options, Infosec Flex makes training convenient for everyone by offering course delivery options tailored to how, when and where you learn best. With more than 100 IT security courses to choose from, we take pride in having the highest exam pass rate in the industry at 93%.
  • Infosec IQ, our security awareness training and phishing simulation platform, improves employees' security behaviors by automatically delivering personalized training based on their roles, security aptitudes and learning styles.
Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
Who we are | What we do 

Comments

• SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    @Meggo - Thank you for providing a great introduction for our community. Can you provide some context on what happened with the transition? I know that InfoSec Institute has been advertising on techexams.net for some time. Did InfoSec Institute acquire techexams.net?
  • MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 Admin
    Hey @SaltyHashes

That is correct. We acquired the community from Johan (Webmaster) in 2016. I was not working for the company at the time, but my understanding is Johan was looking to step back and take a break. 

Until recently, we've been really quiet hosts. The community here is great and very well maintained, thanks to an awesome team of dedicated mods. Reasons for the migration were to refresh the site's architecture and reinvigorate the community. A lot of Google's recent search changes hit TechExams hard, so it was time for a refresh. 

I hope this helps!

-Megan 
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited November 2018

Makes me wonder what it was acquired for. There's sites that estimates a websites value, based on traffic, but this is potential earnings based on how much revenue can be obtained from advertisers on the site and how much traffic a site gets. Take Microsoft.com, the value estimates for the site are in the billions of dollars, but it's a product support website for Microsoft, it cost them money to run it, no tangle profit. It may offer returns in in-tangle ways. "I'm going to buy a Microsoft product because they have a great support web site", but it's difficult to measure this.  

Back to the topic at hand, estimates are the site is worth 105k based on traffic volume. So I question why you would sell a website that can earn 7k a month without any real effort on your part other than maybe $1,000 hosting costs. I've never seen a email from the admin before this recent site redesign.  

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @TechGromit  - TechExams was obviously acquired because Infosec Institute saw business value in owning it.  I would guess they are using it to inprove Infossc Institute’s website SEO and thus their organic search traffic.  This increase in organic search traffic can potentially translate into more sales of their products and services.

As far as the previous owner, it’s hard to say how much money he/she was making.  Unfortunately, online communities can be rather fickle and the moment you try to monteize it you can end up killing it in the process.  I don’t know how much traffic TE was getting before, but maybe it wasn’t getting as much as one would expect.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is really a surprise for me, lets see
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    I can't go into the background details of when/where/why/how much, but TE moving to the ownership and care of InfoSec Institute was the best for all parties concerned. TE was stagnating under the previous ownership for several reasons and could not grow despite its potential. For those that have creative and optimistic vision, the future of the TE community is much, much brighter now.
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad to be here. Not sure what the hubbub is all about.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ugh! Take a year off and look what happens! Sheesh! Certainly things I miss but the UI looks a bit more up to date.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think certs give you a good chance to get your knowledge, without those certs I would not able to reach the wide knowledge that you need when you are on the field, it opens your mind and allow you to view the things from different perspective.

I think a lot of people left because they are going more to networking sites like facebook, twitter, etc, etc.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,227 ■■■■■■■■■■
    impelse said:
    I think certs give you a good chance to get your knowledge, without those certs I would not able to reach the wide knowledge that you need when you are on the field, it opens your mind and allow you to view the things from different perspective.

I think a lot of people left because they are going more to networking sites like facebook, twitter, etc, etc.

Yes and leeches !!!! 

So many people just used this site and left

Certs are good ! But people **** ! So they worthless

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder or you might just be an overall negative person. I've seen a few of your posts lately calling people leeches and saying other things that don't really add anything valuable to the discussions taking place. You have no idea what is going on in people's lives that make them move on. Even you have used the site in the past and left for a while which has led to your magnificent return  B)

People come, people go. Not a big deal. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS