Options

Desktop Support to Project Coordinator path

Scrambl3zScrambl3z Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

Just wondering what is the best way for a Desktop support guy with some systems admin experience to transition to a Project Coordinator

Most of my daily work have been with Microsoft Systems, and some networking. In terms of projects, I've done a few relocations, and also a project where I oversaw the installation of physical security systems in the office.

While I managed the projects above, I have not applied any of the project methodologies in it, so it was very ad-hoc (just speak with stakeholders, vendors, schedule times, and then go out and implement it).

I am looking to move out of the systems engineering/support role as realistically early as I can. Do I need to be tweaking my resume? Will Prince2 certification amplify my chances to getting into this field?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start with the CompTIA Project+ or PMI CAPM.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PMI CAPM then PMP......
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Degree should be enough. Exposure to MS Excel, PowerPoint and Project would be next. Don't need the CAPM for a project coordinator position. If you really wanted to get saucy get the MS Project Certification, it "could" help but no promises though......

I would take a training course via the web (for free) on MS Project. Being able to speak the language of PM will take you far.

Truth be told PM certifications are generally only good for PM's with previous experience. I own the CAPM it's never done anything, it was always my degrees and experience.
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Degree+PMP, may even get you a full PM gig. If you already have the degree, use it with your existing project hours towards the PMP. I was in a similar position and this is the feedback i'd get from hiring managers even for coordinator spots (had a recruiter scouting positions for me). I have a project+ from WGU and i'd get asked "what's that?" quite often. Similar skills which makes you a great fit for IT PM roles, but alas you have to know how to talk the talk. There's a ton of those already out there as well (degreed+pmp, some horrible) so even if you're qualified, you may get overlooked without those credentials. Still working on my degree, so i'm not there yet, so for now i've decided to stay within support management gigs that slowly give me more and more project exposure. I do intend to have both by the end of the year.