Options

Pentesing mentor needed

as_galas_gal Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am currently making my way into InfoSec and have been studying tons of material of any kind from which I am really overwhelmed. Too much information from different sources.

I need someone who could answer my technical questions and provide assistance/explanation more like helping me to connect the dots, assist with some labs, explain methodology and

I would be happy to pay for some mentorship, considering a reasonable rate. Is there someone who would like to work with me on that? I would prefer OSCP certified.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you looked into taking some courses like the Pentester Academy courses, or eLearnSecurity. That is the point of those entry level, intermediate pentesting classes. To sort of compile all the information and act as a resource. THat way you can prepare for the more challenging things like the eCPPT, GPEN, or OSCP certifications.

For example eLearnSecurity has the eJPT certification. Which is basically Pentesting 101 and a prerequisite for something like the ecppt or oscp.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • Options
    Hey Ritual,

I did a number of online courses related to the subject. The problem is putting all these down in practice. I have access to some lab and been able to enumerate and get a good idea about some hosts but where do I go if I find no metasploit module to work on my case? How can I get an explanation or instruction of exploiting a platform with which I haven't previously worked? It is all about experience and the best way to get it is to speak to the people who owns it. I need an interactive source where I can provide description of a problem and get an answer that will point me to the right direction.
  • Options
    JollyFrogsJollyFrogs Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi as_gal,

The OffSec IRC forum can be helpful at times for asking questions. These forums are pretty good as well. I'm on the OffSec IRC forums typically during the weekends and always willing to help as long as people have put in some time and effort themselves. Send me a message on the forums (typically I am online there between 07:00 - 17:00 on Sat/Sun (Brisbane Australia time zone). If you can find my email address (somewhere on this forum) then send me an email.

Cheers,
    Frogs
  • Options
    Thanks Frogs,

will do so. well appreciated
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    as_gal wrote: »
    Hey Ritual,

I did a number of online courses related to the subject. The problem is putting all these down in practice. I have access to some lab and been able to enumerate and get a good idea about some hosts but where do I go if I find no metasploit module to work on my case? How can I get an explanation or instruction of exploiting a platform with which I haven't previously worked? It is all about experience and the best way to get it is to speak to the people who owns it. I need an interactive source where I can provide description of a problem and get an answer that will point me to the right direction.

i think the eLearnsecurity courses have labs so you can practice
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Mike-Mike: Yes. Plenty of labs. @as_gal: what courses have you taken?