Options

New IT Security Student

ns_frankns_frank Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys and gals,

I am in the 5 year Cyber Security in Information Assurance program at my college. I recently graduated with my Bachelor's degree and now working on my Master's. I also just got a full time position as a network administrator. I'm 22 and I'm learning a lot with networking and you know, being an network admin. I goal is to work in the security field and I feel like I'm not on track for some odd reason. Some of my friends are working right now in a security company and their job task focuses on some type of security work. I plan to stay at my job until I get my Security+ cert in October 2017 and my Master's degree which is in May 2017. Am I making the right decision or should I plan to start with a security company ASAP? Help!!! I'm a lost student looking for some guidance. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on what you want to do in Security... If you want get more into the Networking side of security I'd say your in right the place to start off.
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So you're a year away from obtaining your Master's Degree in IA correct? Do you have other certs besides Security+? That's typically regarded as the entry level security cert to get your feet wet. It gives a good foundation then you can branch off to what area you may want to specialize in. I'm assuming as a Network Admin you probably incorporate security in your day to day duties anyways so that's always something to put on your resume. What idea what area in security interests you? It's a broad field, so narrowing down your interests will help figure out what knowledge/certs to go for.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At 22 you are definitely ahead of the game. Many people older than you have done the certification route and never finished college. Because you are working full time and doing your Masters, I'd suggest doing at least 2 certifications per year. Now that also depends on your personal life as well, because at 22, many were still living at home, had relationships, visiting the local pubs/bars, etc. Right now, you should focus on gaining those entry level skill set, and work on getting yourself established financially. The rest will come in time.

So you got a network admin position, and depending on your job requirements, you would want to follow the same path as far as certifications. As an example if you are doing Cisco work, then start on Cisco certs. There's no reason why you can't get other certs as well, especially security related ones. You can look at doing certs like CASP, CEH, SSCP, and more. Having goals set for yourself can also be a good thing to work on.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just saw what your "network admin" role consists of in your other posts. Sounds like most JOAT roles at a small company. You'll get good experience there and as long as you work on your security skills (in whatever area of security you want to go into) and add a couple of security certs you should be able find a good job somewhere else in whatever area you want to go. Just to use this admin experience and try and find ways to work in things your learning about security into your current job. That will great on your resume for the future positions if you can!
  • Options
    ns_frankns_frank Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. Each of these responses helped me a lot. I hope to figure out what area in security that I want to study soon. I have a lot of researching to do. :) Thanks again!!!