Options

Security or Cloud, maybe a little of both?

CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I feel like I'm at a career crossroad, as I described in my post http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/122732-career-crossroad.html#post1053557 . As of late, I've been studying for the first exam of CCNP Security, almost ready to take it. I also have been closely looking the CISSP or CASP exams.

I've worked my way through the ranks over these many years, from helpdesk, desktop, server and now networking. I started to think though, what jobs am I really going to be applying for? The easy choice since I'm a network engineer now, would be to apply for Senior Network Engineer positions. The issue is that I feel I'm losing interest in the typical "network engineer" role. I'm really into the security side of networking (firewalls, access control, etc), which is why I started the CCNP security, but I know that I no longer want to be responsible for deploying new switches, routers, phones, etc. I still enjoy the traditional route/switch tasks, but I don't want a job that requires travel anymore. I'm hesitant to continue the CCNP Security route because from what I see in job postings, it seems the "network security' role, is really typical network engineer role with some security added to it.

Other than security, I was trying to think of other areas that could be of interest. Cloud Security came to mind. My VCP is expiring next month, so I really need to decide if it's worth renewing and/or if I should I go the AWS route. Not sure if Cloud Security it a position in todays market. Maybe I should go for ISC CCSP and then CISSP.

As mentioned in my previous thread, I have a wide range of experience. I'm currently making a low 6 figure salary, and not really willing to go backwards in earnings, at this point.

Sorry for the rant, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Comments

• Options
    CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just wondering if anyone has advice on going down the Cloud Security path? My VCP is expiring the day before Thanksgiving. Not sure if I should renew it to help me go down this cloud security path?

Since my current job is as network engineer, I haven't been using VMware lately, which is why I didn't think I'd renew it
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    So I am sort of in the same boat as you. I enjoy R/S/FW/etc but it gets old fast putting out fires all day long. Security wise the cloud security shouldn't be much more different than network security depending on what you are using to protect your cloud server farms.

If you want to go that route then maybe finish up the CCNP-SEC and start working towards security certs in general like the CISSP. Round out yourself a bit.