Options

Resume Review

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm not job hunting at the moment, but I like to just keep my resume up to date. Thoughts on the format and wording for my resume? Any help is appreciated. Hoping to have my GCIH here in about a month or two, but for now these are the certs I have.

myresumefortechexams.doc

Comments

• Options
    genxfinalrevisiongenxfinalrevision Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on being a recent graduate (Master's). Everything I say after that may cause a wince or two cause I am going to call you baby ugly but with sincere hope that it helps.

Everything starting off "manage and monitor" is something to improve ... has to be diversified. The experience that you list looks pretty great but it needs to be presented a little better because if I were a person who had to look through countless resumes to find a few candidates, I'm done with yours by the 3rd time I read "manage and monitor."

Another thing I would say is you need to use Microsoft Office. Your bullets should be bullets, not sentences set off with as asterisk. I would also edit the paragraph settings so that it's not single-spaced...but more of a proportional. Just for readability.

The Certifications table...format that differently. It doesn't look clean. Also CEH, CCNA...I know what those are...some recruiter, maybe not, so it's better to say "Certified Cisco Net...(CCNA)."

This will help: go to like dice.com and read the job description of jobs you are interested in then go to LinkedIn and read the profiles of people who have similar career experiences to your own. See how the detail the experiences...if something is worded quite well, lift it and incorporate it into your own resume.
  • Options
    Thanks for the review. I agree that the manage and monitor stuff should probably be diversified, I wasn't really sure how to do that exactly. I'll do that, make bullet points, then reformat my cert table.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Looks horrible.

Suggestions include - use 20pt Bold and underlined comic sans font in alternating capital and lower case letters. Include a picture of yourself beating up a defenseless child. Preferably holding them upside by one leg while change falls from their pocket

In all seriousness though for certs I would be more descriptive. Like the other person said, include the full name. Definitely include how long they are active for ie Cisco Certified Network Engineer: Security April 2016 - April 2019
    For the time spent at your positions instead of saying (date) to (date) I would use a hyphen. It looks kinda clunky with to and the hyphen provides uniformity with your Company - Town section that follows.

Hope the new gig is going well!
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif You had me for a second there.

Good suggestions too. Thank you. I'll revise that soon and repost it in this thread.
  • Options
    I think I'm going to wait until I get my CISSP and renew my CCNAs via one of the CCNP:S exams to start applying again. That'll put me here over a year, so I don't look like a major job hopper.

Swapped out my S+ (expired) for my GCIH and spelled out the certs.
    Here's what I revised it to:
    • [FONT=&quot]Manage and monitor endpoint HIDS/HIPS with Carbon Black.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Handle SIEM alerts and investigations using Splunk.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Monitor netflow and IDS with Stealthwatch and Firepower[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Implement web filtering with CWS and Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS).[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Respond to malicious emails with Proofpoint.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Conduct phishing campaigns and provide security awareness to end-users.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Develop security policies, procedures, and standards.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Conduct risk analysis for business and IT procedures[/FONT]